HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:43 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,709 Posts
i really dont know. it should have been fine on 12s. i had used that series adapter before too. i guess it was fine on 8s...but 12s..no likey. dispite the fact you can run 12s on them. " "
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2009, 11:03 PM
I think I like vanilla...
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2007
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
scratch the bearcat off my list...

was breaking in some new lipo's...doing some static running. no biggie. i think...hmm...i wonder what this thing will do on 12s instead of 8s...i got greedy. hooked up the series harness, and plugged'em in. no sound...thats odd....ok, a tiny bit of power then....POOF! flames shooting out of the esc(had cowl off tankgoodness) unplugged it all. 1 100A turnigy esc toast. it had been flawless up to this point. im freakin pissed. i might bring it anyhow, and get a esc at the show. we'll see.

freakin pissed! this is a "12s" esc...others have ran them on 12s.
Yikes - I just bought one of those and am planning on running 12S....
grimgrinnin is offline Find More Posts by grimgrinnin
Old Jan 19, 2009, 09:33 AM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
How long was the total length of wire from your battery to your ESC? You have your battery lead, then your series harness, then anything else?

Our club members have seen multiple failures (on the high-priced "Big Name" products) on ESC's when using the maximum voltage rating with additional length added between the battery & ESC. >12" total is not recommended without adding extra capacitors....
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast
Old Jan 19, 2009, 09:39 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,245 Posts
There are two different 100A ESCs and it's easy to order the wrong unit, they look the same. Not that Corsair ordered the wrong unit, but, perhaps during manufacture the stickers got mixed up.

It is also possible that the motor cannot handle 12S and shorted out. This has happened to me using a different setup, I incorrectly blamed the ESC when it was me. I forgot the specs and limitations for the motor.

I have run 10S on the 100A ESC without a problem, the big question arises, Do I have the balls to test one with 12S? Do I want to risk loosing a 100A ESC just to test the unit? Answer: NO, not really.

Perhaps we should review the comments made by other 100A users and see if any of them ran 12S without a problem.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:59 AM
Pushing the Limits of FFF
United States, CA, Sierra Madre
Joined Jun 2005
1,186 Posts
Yikes - I used the same ESC on many of my planes - I know that they are labeled for 12S, but now I know that I will not push them past 8S. I have only run them to 8S, nut now I am nervous about anymore........

Come on Brent, you need to bring the Bearcat....We need more large warbirds to represent the era......and everyone like to see them in the air together.

John
wirbech is online now Find More Posts by wirbech
Last edited by wirbech; Jan 19, 2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:03 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,709 Posts
its the 12s unit. the only wire was the stock length wire...nothing added. i did have a watt meter hooked up to one of the packs. but ive doen that before and it was fine. it only pulled 50A on 8s, but the motor never even spun...as soon as the first click of stick was applied...POOOOF!!!!!!! good thing the cowl was off, or it would ahve a big whole in it!

im still bringing the bearcat. hoping to get a esc at the show.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:08 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
its the 12s unit. the only wire was the stock length wire...nothing added. i did have a watt meter hooked up to one of the packs. but ive doen that before and it was fine. it only pulled 50A on 8s, but the motor never even spun...as soon as the first click of stick was applied...POOOOF!!!!!!! good thing the cowl was off, or it would ahve a big whole in it!

im still bringing the bearcat. hoping to get a esc at the show.
HATE IT when that happens...
I fried up my first Sport Jet 90 motor running 8s on that ESC.
It was actually the Motor, not the ESC, but it was pretty cool to watch a high speed run as the motor gave up. My thoughts were something to the effect of:
"Hey, I didnt put a smoke system on this thing!?!"

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:09 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
The Turnigy units all have a 1 year warranty... I know nothing can be done before AEF but if you're in the warranty period at least you can get it replaced..... well it is Hobbycity so who knows how well that will go....
Old Jan 19, 2009, 03:39 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Could have been the watt meter shorted and your esc fried, does the meter still work?
mpope1 is offline Find More Posts by mpope1
Old Jan 19, 2009, 04:10 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,245 Posts
MIke,

I'm not coming to the show after all, I just spent the money. A guy at the field sold me his Aero Works bipe for a super discount and it has a 50cc gas motor and very expensive servos. Oooops, there goes my AZ travel money.

I just hope that I'm not going to be treated as a turn coat and banned from the electic flying group.

Watch out for a guy named Flyboythai, he might try to break your flying record. Right now he probably has already broken records for the most amount of flying video posted in RC Universe and You Tube, in the shortest period of time.

Al
Old Jan 19, 2009, 04:46 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN
MIke,

I'm not coming to the show after all, I just spent the money. A guy at the field sold me his Aero Works bipe for a super discount and it has a 50cc gas motor and very expensive servos. Oooops, there goes my AZ travel money.

I just hope that I'm not going to be treated as a turn coat and banned from the electic flying group.

Watch out for a guy named Flyboythai, he might try to break your flying record. Right now he probably has already broken records for the most amount of flying video posted in RC Universe and You Tube, in the shortest period of time.

Al
It seems like every day he's posting a video of new plane.....
Old Jan 19, 2009, 05:51 PM
Pushing the Limits of FFF
United States, CA, Sierra Madre
Joined Jun 2005
1,186 Posts
Al,

You and your stories will me missed.....But we will razz Mike P enough to make him feel like you are there.

John
wirbech is online now Find More Posts by wirbech
Old Jan 19, 2009, 06:26 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,245 Posts
OK John, razz Mike to the hilt....every few minutes remind him how much Tina is costing him, she shops while he flies.

OH, dont' forget to razz Mike about his dad "Rick".

I see it now, Flyboy vrs Mike. who's gonna fly the most in the shortest period of time? Mike Heere is gonna be running like mad to keep up with the videos.

I put my money on MIke Pope, this is Flyboy's first year and I think the rules might trip him up. I can't imagine him waiting in line. He probably will try to get Paul to play his music while he flies. For an old guy like me, I kinda like some of Flyboy's music. LOL
Old Jan 19, 2009, 08:50 PM
They're all landings!
In my head
Joined Jul 2007
459 Posts
Pilot registration

I registered by the December deadline but have received a thing (email, mail, etc.) indicating I'm registered. Is this normal?
Thanks!
msting is offline Find More Posts by msting
Old Jan 19, 2009, 08:56 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,596 Posts
Mike,

Yes, that's normal. Your notification is usually that your check was cashed!

The first day you show up, simply go to the pilot's registration table, give them your name, and they'll have a packet made up for you.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat