HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:16 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
Saturday is a very busy day! Thursday and Friday there are more chances to fly. Those that really want to fly get in a number of flights on those two days can. I saw Pat's planes in the air a lot those two days last year. Not too many night flyers last year on Friday night but a couple of the planes were spectatular and worth being at the field to see. For most of us I completely agree with Scalefan. I'm bringing a quarter scale Cub to fly as posted previously. I'm bringing my H-L F9F Panther to get some pictures and video of it in the Arizona sun. Same goes for my Blue Ray 450 helicopter (Helicopters have there own time slots.). Finally, I am bringing a Radian glider. Have to see what thermals I can find near the field. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2009, 01:43 PM
Pushing the Limits of FFF
United States, CA, Sierra Madre
Joined Jun 2005
1,175 Posts
I agree with Mike, Thursday anf Friday are the 2 days that you can get the most flying in. Saturday is mostly to hang out a visit with old friends......and fly once or twice..

John
wirbech is offline Find More Posts by wirbech
Old Jan 15, 2009, 01:45 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,363 Posts
The key to getting in a lot of flights at AEF is to follow the Mike Pope rule of flying:

Fly a plane, land, then get in line again.

If I had a nickle for every time I heard the announcer say "There's goes Mike Pope taking off with the <insert plane name here>..." from last year, I'd be a rich man!

Me, I spend way too much time flapping my jaw and hanging out with friends and the vendors. I just enjoy getting out there and sitting on the flight line and talking to everyone about their planes. If I get a few flights in per day I'm a happy camper.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jan 15, 2009, 04:41 PM
Registered Airplane Offender
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Me, I just want to show up in somebody's video/pictures

Barrett
greenseaships is offline Find More Posts by greenseaships
Old Jan 15, 2009, 06:40 PM
WHere Flight Was Born, North Carolina
Joined Apr 2005
2,778 Posts
Hey Guys!

We will be bringing flying demos of the Yardbird F-22's and F-18's. We will also have a Dualsky 54" Extra flying. We hope to have these flying all weekend long!!

Mark
2dogrc
2dogrc is offline Find More Posts by 2dogrc
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: 2dogrc and 2dogs Flying FPV
Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:51 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,242 Posts
Pat,

About Mike Pope...yep, it the Mike Pope method that works. Give the wife a kiss and send her shopping, then spend the day standing in lines.

However, there's more to his method. Mikes planes are ready to go, Mike is ready to go...that's what I meant in my paragraph above. Me, I came with lots of planes, none were really ready. It seemed like it took forever to get my P-61 ready and then I couldn't go when told to go.

For two years, going on three, I have been razzing Mike Pope. It got so bad, he finally asked me "why me" The reason for the razzing was Mikes flying time, his name was a constant on the PA system. In spite of my razzing, Mike proved to be a good friend at the event, he stuck bye me, helped me all he could, made me feel better when I was told that I was too late to fly the P-61 in the Warbird event He showed me that he was a class act, some other guys promised to help in advance, but disappeared when I needed them. To add iceing on the cake, MIke spent quite a bit of time and helped me solve some glitches in order to get the P-61 ready to fly later The diagnosis found servo wires that came disconnected, found an aileron hinge that had broke from the constant handling of the big wings. Mike saved me from flying a crippled airplane and saved me from taking the thing home in a basket.

Thanks MIke, no more razzing. (Pat's gonna do it for me) I didn't tell you before, but both my wife and I appreciate the attention you gave us last year. Also we appreciate the work of the event volunteers. Well that is, all except the big guy that told me "ooops, there's a 12 food ditch that can't be seen at the end of the runway". He told me that after my VQ Hurricane disappeard after a long landing. I'm really glad he didn't stay around and help earlier like he promised. I might have taken more planes home in a basket, good flight for the Hurricane, good landing, bad ditch at the end.

Don't land long, the plane will soon disappear from site when you get to the dirt at the end of the runway.

Al G, aka Scalefan
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:52 AM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
I like the razzing!
mpope1 is offline Find More Posts by mpope1
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:43 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
I got my fingers crossed! the electronics for my Electrifly Spad XIII review arrived today. If the plane arrives Monday: I may have some building to do. Only time will tell. Mike H
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:44 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
OK...No maybe about it! Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:11 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,363 Posts
Awesome Mike. Hope you get it done. I'd like to check that Spad out.

Pat
Old Jan 17, 2009, 09:27 PM
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2008
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN
After participating in this event for the past two years, and coming from out of town...here's some advice for out of towners.

Don't bring too many planes, they will just get in your way and could get damaged from moving them to the field every day from the hotel or tent.

You won't get a chance to fly everything every day. On Saturday it's hectic and the flight lines are long. Don't forget, the snowbirds are in town and love to see the planes fly. The noon time demos tend to go on and on and take from valuable flying time. Standing room only and there is no time to think. When you are told to go, you better be ready to go. End of flight line is more than 1/2 hour wait.

The field has charging tables available, but, they usually are taken first thing in the morning. Possesion is 9 tenths of the law. Once they are taken, forget it. The guys that get them leave their stuff on them all day.

There is no place to fix planes, it's just too crowded, and leaving the field during the day is not a good idea, you will loose your parking space and valuable time.

Bring at the most three planes just like you are going to the local field in the morning. Make sure the planes are ready to fly, save some room in the vehicle for your tool box and batteries.

Regardless of what is promised in advance, everybody is busy with thier own stuff so don't count on helpers.

I love the event, but in prior year I brought way too many planes and only flew one. Before I could get them together to fly, the time had passed, or in the rush, a clitch developed.

Remember,only bring planes that are ready to fly. You will be saving yourself from severe frustration and will have a good time. This is no place to be fussing with problems.

Just telling it the way it is.

Al G. aka Scalefan.
Wow. I haven't been before, but you make it sound pretty bad. Is it possible to charge your batteries at the car, or is that too far away? I have at least 4 batteries for each plane, so I will have them all charged in the morning. Is it going to be a big problem being on 72 Mhz? I know that most everyone uses 2.4 now. I plan on watching a lot, but I am hoping to to fly some.
Berean is offline Find More Posts by Berean
Old Jan 17, 2009, 09:34 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,363 Posts
Berean,

Your car is close enough so that you can charge your batteries there if you wish. However, you should be able to find space at one of the charging stations (set up at each table). You can hook your charger to one of the big battery banks, or plug in a power supply if you have one and can find an open outlet.

Being on 72mHz is no problem. You will just have to follow normal impound procedures. I've had no problems in the past having to wait on my freq pin (before I finally made the full switch to 2.4).

Pat
Old Jan 18, 2009, 08:35 AM
The Greater Bay Area
Joined Sep 2008
3,868 Posts
I'll Have A Few Out There. Hoping To Get Good Footage To Make More Video's Like This One. See You Folks There. "United As We Fly"

F9F Panther Electric Ducted Fan Jet 2nd Flight (4 min 8 sec)
FlyBoyTha1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoyTha1
Old Jan 18, 2009, 05:53 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
scratch the bearcat off my list...

was breaking in some new lipo's...doing some static running. no biggie. i think...hmm...i wonder what this thing will do on 12s instead of 8s...i got greedy. hooked up the series harness, and plugged'em in. no sound...thats odd....ok, a tiny bit of power then....POOF! flames shooting out of the esc(had cowl off tankgoodness) unplugged it all. 1 100A turnigy esc toast. it had been flawless up to this point. im freakin pissed. i might bring it anyhow, and get a esc at the show. we'll see.

freakin pissed! this is a "12s" esc...others have ran them on 12s.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 18, 2009, 06:48 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,363 Posts
Man, that sucks Brent. I wonder why it smoked?

Pat