HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2003, 09:15 AM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
MM Dandy, newest plane in my hanger

Here's a pic of my Dandy, pre-maiden flight. Should be able to maiden it tomorrow. I still need to shrink the wing covering, but that's about it.
What an easy build. Covering takes much more time than building. Someone needs to come up with a faster way to cover planes. They'd make a fortune.
The plane is pretty much stock. One thing I did in the covering is used Solite everywhere but the bottom of the wing, which I used Doculam on. Interesting effect when viewed from the bottom. I will post a picture of the wing fromt he bottom at some future time. I covered the top section of the wing where it sits over the fuse with the same color (silver) as the fuse.

Wish me luck on the maiden!
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2003, 09:41 AM
Deep Sea
OFallon, MO
Joined Jul 2001
609 Posts
Your Dandy looks great! The maiden should be a piece of cake - it's a super flying plane.
Eric
Navy Diver is offline Find More Posts by Navy Diver
Old Mar 07, 2003, 10:20 AM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Re: MM Dandy, newest plane in my hanger

Quote:
Originally posted by 10Thumbs
Covering takes much more time than building.
That's more a credit to the kit than a fault of the covering procedure. I plan on checking out some of Doug's designs soon.

My first kit was a Guillow's Aeronca when I was about nine. Die cutting? Looked more like someone just creased the wood with an old house key. Of course, it didn't help that all I had for building tools were what I could scrounge: straight pins from the sewing machine, a somewhat dull steak knife, and Elmers white glue. Not to start one of those "we had it so bad" threads, but I remember scraping wood parts along a rough spot on the concrete floor because I didn't have any sandpaper!

Sure you won't need it, but good luck with your maiden flight!

Karl
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Mar 07, 2003, 10:28 AM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
Yes, the build on Doug's kit is quite nice. I have a Sig Riser 2M glider that I'm building as well. This is an old kit with only the wing ribs die cut, eveything else you need to cut by hand. I have more time in it than I do in the Dandy and I don't even have the fuse and tail finished. I'm looking forward to doing a MiniFlash sometime soon.

I've also build Todd's Gym-E and Tiny-X, and both of those went together fast as well. The Gym-E can be built in a day by an experienced builder. Covering is easy because you are doing only the top of the wing. No fuselage to cover!
Old Mar 07, 2003, 10:42 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Re: Re: MM Dandy, newest plane in my hanger

Quote:
Of course, it didn't help that all I had for building tools were what I could scrounge: straight pins from the sewing machine, a somewhat dull steak knife, and Elmers white glue. Not to start one of those "we had it so bad" threads, but I remember scraping wood parts along a rough spot on the concrete floor because I didn't have any sandpaper!
Oh man does that bring back memories!! My first RC was a powered glider that used an 049 on a pod. It was used and hanging up in the hobby shop. I kept drooling over it so finally my dad bought it for my birthday.

I couldn't afford a radio so, and this is true, I made one out of a pair of walkie talkies and an escapement. I believe that because we could afford so little when I was young, I learned how to design things.

It paid off - I'm now a staff engineer for Fluke Networks. I also don't buy my kids a lot of stuff.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Mar 07, 2003, 10:48 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
Re: Re: Re: MM Dandy, newest plane in my hanger

Quote:
Originally posted by CoClimber
... I also don't buy my kids a lot of stuff.

Doug
I try to too, but my wife has a different philosophy
-Mike
FlyByMike is offline Find More Posts by FlyByMike
Old Mar 07, 2003, 01:20 PM
Nawlins
Joined Dec 2002
87 Posts
Very nice plane and covering job. How big of an area do you need to fly a plane like that. Could i fly it in the same area as a slow stick? I think that might be my next plane.

Thanks, Will
roostertail11 is offline Find More Posts by roostertail11
Old Mar 07, 2003, 02:10 PM
Horrible Test Pilot
Lyman WY
Joined May 2002
888 Posts
Good looking Dandy. Mine is just about finished, but I don't currently have servos for it, so it may be a while before the maiden flight.

Good luck.

Jason
Beachernaut is offline Find More Posts by Beachernaut
Old Mar 07, 2003, 02:23 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
Will,

I'm not sure how small an area you can fly it in, and I don't have a Slow Stick to compare it to. Might be better if you tell us how much room you have to fly in and then someone who has flown it (me tomorrow!) can tell you if you have enough room. The wing loading is pretty light, the polyhedral will make it really stable and turn well, and the control surfaces are large and have large throws, so I'm guessing that it will turn pretty tight.
Old Mar 07, 2003, 02:37 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
I've flown mine indoors but it was designed as an outdoor plane, which means it will take some wind. My initial test flights were done in 5+mph winds. I didn't feel like waiting for the weather to clear.

Doug
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:30 AM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
Update: maiden flight report

Flew the Dandy Saturday morning. Did a ROG with a 7-cell 720mah pack. Didn't take long to get in the air and it climbed well at a fairly low speed. Did some loops and tight turns once I was at altitude. Did some fly-by's. On the last one I got too slow, stalled out and nosed in from about 18 feet. Damage was minimal, but it wasn't flyable. I will have to cut open the top front of the fuse to repair the motor stick.

I'm looking forward to getting the Dandy back in the air and experimenting with different battery packs. I have some 8x800 Wattage packs that will give it more oomph at the expense of more weight. The 8x720 pack is probably the sweet spot, but I don't have any right now.

I'm interested to here about Doug's experiment with the Switchback Sport wing on the Dandy (posted in another thread). Sound like a good step before going to the SB. Maybe I can borrow Locomoto's SB Sport wing if he ever gets it covered!
Old Mar 10, 2003, 09:07 AM
Horrible Test Pilot
Lyman WY
Joined May 2002
888 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damage. It shouldn't be too hard to fix.

SB wing on the Dandy? Sounds a lot like a great aileron trainer. The only problem I see is cutting slots in the fuse for the aileron pushrods on the SB wing, unless you move the servo on top of the wing and flip the ailerons so the control horn is on top.
hmmmmm.......
Ya know, I just finished my Dandy, and I have a spare SB sport wing.

Jason
Beachernaut is offline Find More Posts by Beachernaut
Old Mar 10, 2003, 09:20 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
I will be offering the Dandy with the Switchback Sport wing (Dandy Sport). The trick is to swap the two 1/64" ply pieces so that the servo comes out the top. Use a straight control horn, not the90 degree horn. Photos soon.

Doug