HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2009, 06:03 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,901 Posts
Discussion
Need a new Surface radio, 75mhz or 27mhz FM``

Hey guys. I'm in need of a new surface radio and an looking at the airtronics MX-3. I can get it in either 75mhz or 27mhz, is one prefered over the other for any reason?

If there is some other radio in this price range with the same specs, let me know. I will go 2.4 eventually, but it will be some time as I will make the switch when I move my airplane fleet over.
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2009, 08:11 PM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
I have the airtronics mx3 that I still use on my tmaxx... until the spektrum I just ordered shows up.. But for you question, go with 75mhz.. if I remember correctly, there are only 6 channels on 27mhz while there are many more for 75mhz.. I had an issue recently with someone who was using 27Mhz AM and I had one car running 27MHZ FM and they glitched... not supposed to happen but it does, with 75 mhz, the chances are reduced...
cenracer1 is offline Find More Posts by cenracer1
Old Jan 07, 2009, 10:15 PM
War Eagle!
Joined Sep 2006
2,901 Posts
Good to know. Do you know of anyone that still sells the synth version of the MX3?
Old Jan 08, 2009, 09:01 AM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
no.. but they weren't that cheap to begin with... I think for around the same money you can now get the 2.4
Old Jan 08, 2009, 09:29 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,096 Posts
If you are really serious about the hobby, then the radio is not the equipement you want to go cheap. I am still using 75mhz am futaba TX & RX for my TRX & RR2. Ya my TRX glitches from time to time, but I am waiting until I can get & afford the one I really want and not one just for now until I get the one. My LHS guys are in true hobbiest and have never given me bad advice, and they all have told me that the TX is the one part that if you get a really good one, it can & will last you for a very long time and be used with multiple RC's. If you are thinking of going 2.4ghz later, then I recommend you keep what you got and save your $$$ that it would cost you for a cheap TX NOW & wait until you can get the ONE YOU WANT. If you're RC cost you 200$ & you have put in a BL motor & esc for extra 100$ and you are running it with a 50-75-100$ battery, WHY would you want to control all that $$$$$ with a cheap TX that you just wanted in the mean time?
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 08, 2009, 12:12 PM
War Eagle!
Joined Sep 2006
2,901 Posts
Wow @ run on sentences.

First off, I don't go cheap were it counts. I fly with a JR9303, by no means a cheap radio.

What I have for surface use now is an old Futaba 2ch AM Magnum sport radio. I NEED 3ch for what I plan on doing in the near future.

I don't want to buy into 2.4 right now. Period. Plan and simple. When I do, I will convert my planes over first as they are larger investments for me and more likely to suffer massive damage from a radio problem.

Your prices are well over exaggerated. The boats I am working on are 20" hulls and they are designed for a specific class of racing that is meant to be done as cheaply as possible. The hulls are standardized ($30 for the most expensive one), the motor/esc is standardizes ($15 for the combo shipped online) and we will run 2c lipo's that don't need to have a high C rating. Chances are these lipo's will be bought from HC. Why? Because it doesn't make sense to put a $50 lipo in a boat when a <$20 will run it just as well.

If I go with the 2.4ghz version, then I have to deal with the cost of the radio, plus $100 for each additional receiver. That is going to be ~$700 for my 7 surface vehicles. Does that really make monetary sense?

The most expensive thing that will be on my radio will be my E-maxx. I bought the Emaxx to turn it into a roboitcs project. The radio will only be used for testing and tweaking as I build it and for checking out new equipment after I make changes to the truck itself.

So as you can see, I don't really need to spend a huge amount of money for what I want.

What I want is a simple to use 3ch radio with enough model memory to take care of my 6 boats and E-maxx. If you can present me with an option that does it cheaper then the MX-3, please do so.

The non synth MX-3 is $80 right now from HobbyPeople. The receivers for the MX-3 are also on sale. I can't find the synth version for sale. If someone can, I'd like to know about it so I can compare prices and make an informed decision from that.

Someone on the forum said they had one they wanted to sell me, but they contacted my via aim once and never left me a forum name or any other form of contact.
Old Jan 08, 2009, 12:27 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,096 Posts
I think you mite of misunderstood my point or I did not explain myself well. Never intended to upset you, was simply trying to say that by your own admission, you are eventually going to go with better TX (2.4). I was just trying to say why not save the money and wait until you are ready for the 2.4. You did not explain in youre original post that you only had 2Ch. and you NEEDED 3CH. MY BAD for trying to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneasle
Hey guys. I'm in need of a new surface radio and an looking at the airtronics MX-3. I can get it in either 75mhz or 27mhz, is one prefered over the other for any reason?

If there is some other radio in this price range with the same specs, let me know. I will go 2.4 eventually, but it will be some time as I will make the switch when I move my airplane fleet over.
And dollar figures were only to make a point of why go cheap on the TX when so much $$$$ is put in the actual RC. If you have and are using very inexpensive RC equipement that suits your needs, then great for you, NOTHING bad was intented
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 08, 2009, 12:33 PM
War Eagle!
Joined Sep 2006
2,901 Posts
No worries, no offense taken, just trying to fully clarify what I am looking for and why.

Didn't meant to snap at you as hard as I did, I'm just tired of seeing all the comment around this forums where people are being pushed into 2.4. I'm an Elec. Eng. major and I know what goes into these radio so I know what they are capable of and i just get irritated at a lot of the comments made about 2.4's awesomeness. Yes, it is good, but it is still a new technology and still more expensive then I would like.

I decided a while back that I would transition to 2.4 when Berg/CC releases a 2.4 receiver.

My point with the original 2.4 comment was I just didn't want them to be brought into the thread. I know where my budget is and what the capabilities I need are and 2.4 was never an option for this.

Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it.
Old Jan 08, 2009, 03:09 PM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
sneasle.. your post makes more sense after you explained what you are trying to accomplish... As for the MX3 Synth, it may be discontinued in favor of the 2.4ghz... The prices of the extra receivers for the MX3 have come way down as well.. I saw them recently for around 25 each plus crystal.. I don't know how much the crystals are but maybe you'll find the synth anyway.. Good luck...
Old Jan 08, 2009, 05:54 PM
War Eagle!
Joined Sep 2006
2,901 Posts
Thanks. I didn't mean for that to be as snippish as it was, I blame the German in me.

The guy who offered me the radio the other night finally got back in touch with me. Will see what I can arrange with him, hopefully it works out.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old Jan 08, 2009, 10:02 PM
Looking for more speed...
Joined Jul 2007
138 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=980827
SeanZ0r is offline Find More Posts by SeanZ0r