HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by anatoly, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 05, 2009, 12:29 AM
RC Addict
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,255 Posts
Discussion
Changes for the New Year

Well, I still don't get enough stick time, especially with the new flight restrictions here in the DC area, so progress on improving my heli skills has been slow. I also sold my HBK2 a couple months ago, so I'm down to just the Trex 450 in this department. In the plane department, I finished a depron mini-Cassutt which is a heck of a great flyer, and I'm hoping to take it to a few upcoming indoor events this season.

With the helis, I have been stuck on backwards figure 8's for a little while, mostly due to lack of stick time and batteries; I managed to puff one of my Xcite 2200 packs, not even doing anything that demanding. I'm pretty sure one of the cells was weak and just couldn't take it. So I'm down to two flight batteries for the Trex, at least until I decide to order some more. Backwards figure 8's are progressing, but are still not very clean, so I will keep practicing until I get it right. I don't think simulator practice works very well for me in this case, because I think it makes backwards flight too easy.

Anyway, for the start of the year I decided to make a couple of component upgrades on the Trex. First, I decided to swap out my GY401 gyro for a JR D7703D, mostly because I want the constant piro rate for when my 3D skills progress. The other thing I'm upgrading is the motor: swapping out the stock Align 430L motor for a Scorpion HK2221-8v2, which I picked up used from another local flyer. I put in a new pair of ceramic bearings and got everything set up, initially with a 12T pinion to get a feel for the motor's power and battery usage, but with the option of upgrading to a 13T. After putting those two new components in, I needed to re-position other components to re-balance the heli, and re-secure all of the wires.

Also, I am re-doing the head setup from scratch. This is something I didn't originally do with this bird, opting to fly it pretty much like I bought it (used, from a fellow flyer). Now that my skills are progressing and I have the more powerful motor, I want to really set it up for 3D. So I started the whole process from the beginning: setting up the swash for maximum travel, leveling it, re-adjusting all of the linkages to give me zero pitch at mid-stick, and so on. Tonight I got through setting up the swash at the recommended 10mm from the bearing block, (it was at 8mm previously) then got to leveling the blades, but when checking blade angles I realized that the servos were binding just a little at top stick, and there was plenty of room below the swash at bottom stick, so now I have to go and lower the swash plate a little bit to prevent the binding but still give me maximum travel. I think I will be able to get at least 11 degrees of collective out of this setup, possibly 12, where before I was at about 9. This should greatly improve the response in 3D moves. To complement the new head setup I will also take this opportunity to put in some firmer dampers, swap out the stock 190mm flybar for the now-standard 220mm, and put on some lighter paddles. By the time I'm done with all of these changes, I expect to have a very aggressive 3D-ready helicopter! Then I just have to work on the skills...
anatoly is online now Find More Posts by anatoly
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2009, 04:06 AM
Joined Sep 2008
1 Posts
Scorpion HK2221-8V2

Hello Anatoly,
you mentioned that you had replaced your bearings on the Scorpion HK2221-8V2 with anew set of ceremic bearings. Where can I get these ceramic bearings and what is the part/manufacturing number?
I would like to replace the bearings and shaft in my scorpion HK2221-8V2 as well but I am not even sure of how to start. Is there a manual for this? Or could you give me some help?
Thank you very much,
Peter
peterbeam is offline Find More Posts by peterbeam