SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:00 PM
Singapore
Joined Apr 2005
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomtask
Hi Matt,

I'm about to start on my b900 build and this is my first DLG. DO you have any references or any pictures of how your torsion spring looks?

Thanks,
Adnan
Nice to see you here. Iíve been following this thread since Jan, which tickles me to order one in Feb. Its still in the box, should be starting my build in a week time. Thereíre lots of info here, go through the threads and pick them out.

Matt, thank you for sharing.

Vincent
VinCopter is offline Find More Posts by VinCopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:08 AM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,815 Posts
Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivlrs
Done. I pulled out the coiled spring that was supplied with the kit, and installed a simple torsion spring into the hinge. I used 0.015 music wire with a low-torque bend in it (it only required about 30 degrees of twist to install). The result is a nice smooth spring action with a very light restoring force - even the CS101 servos should be able to handle it.

As a plus, I looked at the carcass of the coiled spring I yanked out lying next to a couple test versions of the torsion spring - I think the torsion spring has about 80% less metal = lighter tail.

The whole thing looks a lot cleaner now, too. And we all know it's all about appearances...

I would heartily recommend that anybody building a B900 consider replacing the coiled spring with a torsion setup. Lighter, smoother, cleaner.

Since I have to replace some of the elevator pull line, I am also pre-stretching some spiderwire by hanging a 3lb weight on it. Should be able to bypass the stretching I saw last time ( )

-matt
Progress update: I finished hooking up the revised elevator last night (yeah, I know, but I've been busy ) The lighter and smoother action of the torsion spring seems to help with the double neutral problem. With the new setup, I really can't see any difference in center position, regardless of which direction it approaches it. I think the CS101 is just marginal for a pull-spring setup, and giving it less resistance and a smoother action may have gotten it into an operating regime where it can actually do its job. The pull-pull rudder is working fine, btw.

Of course, the real test will be how it flies. Hopefully this weekend I can get out and give it a few chucks. If it fails that test, I'll swap in new servos - even after thinking it over, I'm still leaning toward JR DS188 for elevator and Dymond D47 for rudder, if it comes to that...

-matt
MattN is online now Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2009, 04:47 AM
Landing is inevitable
Singapore
Joined May 2006
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinCopter
Nice to see you here. Iíve been following this thread since Jan, which tickles me to order one in Feb. Its still in the box, should be starting my build in a week time. Thereíre lots of info here, go through the threads and pick them out.

Matt, thank you for sharing.

Vincent
Cool man! I'm still waiting for my epoxy in the wings to cure. Let's get them up in the air soon.

Cheers,
Adnan
randomtask is offline Find More Posts by randomtask
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:02 PM
Landing is inevitable
Singapore
Joined May 2006
201 Posts
Thanks Matt for your build thread, really helped loads during my build.

Here are some pics of my b900:

(Radio Installation)

(tail section with kevlar reinforcement)

(staple used to get the closed loop for the rudder nice and taut)

(hole in boom for elevator pull string. not recommended but wat the heck)

Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:29 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,815 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Matt for your build thread, really helped loads during my build.

Here are some pics of my b900:
I'm glad my ramblings helped. Your radio install looks much nicer than mine - I never figured how to get my servos installed upright (much easier to do control line maintenance). I guess I need to get bolder about carving out the fuse to make room. My servo installation also prevented use of the boom for even the rudder lines. That said, the external lines don't bother me at all now.

It looks like you opted for a torsion spring in the elevator? I really like that mod - mine works much better now.

btw, last weekend I had a really nice flying session - it was a little too breezy/cool for real thermal work, but I did manage to get some "extended flight time" from the thermals. My launches are getting much better - I had a few "moon launch" throws that were very satisfying!

I'm looking forward to warmer days of flying the B900 (while I build my Binary-III!).

-m@
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:37 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,815 Posts
Quote:
That last picture didn't come through in your post - I see you are using a 12FGA... that's what I use, too. I'm going to send mine in to the service center next week to have the momentary toggle switch moved to the left side for launch presets.

Have you done that mod?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:53 PM
Landing is inevitable
Singapore
Joined May 2006
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pivlrs
That last picture didn't come through in your post - I see you are using a 12FGA... that's what I use, too. I'm going to send mine in to the service center next week to have the momentary toggle switch moved to the left side for launch presets.

Have you done that mod?
Yeah, the torsion spring mod works nicely and it just makes the whole tail section that much neater.

Also I've found out I'm in really bad shape. All those launches is causing some aches on the upper body. Even after a warm up and cool down session. I think the physicality of the launches is what drew me to try out DLG. Now I'm just that little more motivated to go to the gym and run.

Regarding the momentary toggle switch, I think I'll most probably use the LS switch. The sliding thingy on the side of the tx. There's no Futaba service centre locally and I can't bear to be without for my Tx for more than a week.

-Adnan
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:33 AM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
sorry no progress on my b900.. i need to get off my butt and build it but kite season has taken over haha
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old Mar 19, 2009, 07:33 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
How about some new videos from B-900 owners out there? Mine is still in the box. Maybe a new video of the B-900 might motivate me to build it... I believe I've seen all the videos of B-900 that are available to be viewed on the internet, but none of them really gave me the urge.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Mar 19, 2009, 02:01 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG
How about some new videos from B-900 owners out there? Mine is still in the box. Maybe a new video of the B-900 might motivate me to build it... I believe I've seen all the videos of B-900 that are available to be viewed on the internet, but none of them really gave me the urge.
Sorry, I don't have a video camera. Let your need be your motivation. If you want a composite sub-1m DLG (as opposed to a foamie), you have only a few kit choices - B900, Apogee Elite, X-Ray micro, mini fireworks... (any others?). I suspect the B900 will give similar flying pleasure as the others. So if you want that experience, build it. If you find yourself more interested in other stuff at the moment, I'm sure the B900 shelf-life is plenty long...

-m@
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2009, 06:21 AM
Landing is inevitable
Singapore
Joined May 2006
201 Posts
A friend took a nice pic of a very bad subject matter.

Old Mar 28, 2009, 09:13 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Cool photo of you discus-launching the B900. How about a video flying it next time?
Quote:
A friend took a nice pic of a very bad subject matter.

LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Mar 28, 2009, 09:34 AM
USA, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined May 2003
917 Posts
What kind of still- air times are you getting from these binary 900's?
hornet_dave is offline Find More Posts by hornet_dave
Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:42 AM
Landing is inevitable
Singapore
Joined May 2006
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet_dave
What kind of still- air times are you getting from these binary 900's?
I'm averaging at 30s -45s on a decent throw. The longest air time I had on it was just above 3 minutes when i hit a nice thermal, could've been longer if i kept riding the same one, but it was getting too far for comfort.

Cheers,
Adnan
Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:49 AM
Landing is inevitable
Singapore
Joined May 2006
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG
Cool photo of you discus-launching the B900. How about a video flying it next time?
You asked for it, you got it...

Binary 900 DLG (1 min 23 sec)

Thanks Ken(Madflurry) for the pics and vid.

Cheers,
Adnan