HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:01 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
I don't have one of these, but I do have a similar size one from another company (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums<br />....php?t=1283654). Are you wanting to DLG this or slope? If DLG, these small DLGs are at their best with none to very little wind which doesn't sound very common by your description of where you live. As for slope, I wouldn't think that they would have the penetration in winds stronger than 10-15 knots, but happy to read others thoughts on this aspect. By your brief description of your experience, I would say that you would be able to handle a DLG, but no guarantees .

If you're wanting to try your hand at DLGs, I recommend you post your location and maybe someone in your area can introduce you to this aspect of our hobby without having to outlay your hard earned.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck, Aus.
I would tend to agree, it does slope considerably well but it's sweet spot is between 9-13 MPH, less and you have to be very good, more and it's hard to get it to penetrate (though some ballast may help, I haven't tried any). To be fair, I fly at a somewhat mild slope, if your slope is more extreme your mileage may vary

- Birger
bdelapen is online now Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined Apr 2012
80 Posts
Well, what would be a relatively small (say under 150cm) and not too expensive soarer that isn't too hard for a glider-noob to fly?
bjornal is offline Find More Posts by bjornal
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:36 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
7,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornal View Post
Well, what would be a relatively small (say under 150cm) and not too expensive soarer that isn't too hard for a glider-noob to fly?
I think most will agree with me in that your statement is contradictory.

Larger planes are easier to fly and handle the wind better, have longer glide ratios, etc.

Small and Noobee do not tend to go together. A 1.5M would be easier to fly than a .9M
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
I think most will agree with me in that your statement is contradictory.

Larger planes are easier to fly and handle the wind better, have longer glide ratios, etc.

Small and Noobee do not tend to go together. A 1.5M would be easier to fly than a .9M
I'm in no way noob to planes, but to gliders. I'm just getting fed up with grounding my helis and planes when it blows too much and I'm working shift and got lots of time to fly before I go to work
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:18 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
7,799 Posts
All the same, a larger DLG will make learning to thermal and handle the wind easier.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Apr 2012
80 Posts
So basically, I should order a Binary III instead then?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:25 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
7,799 Posts
Binary III might be fine. I do not know much about that plane to say if it will suit you or not. I have heard more about the Topskys or Predators and they are good low cost DLGs to fly.

I just do not want you to get discouraged with DLGs since you are not already familiar with finding thermals. That is the hardest part of any size sailplane be it 1/2M or 4M or any size!!

It is why so many of us are hooked on sailplanes.

Best bet would be to visit your local glider field and see what those flying DLGs have used when they started because they will let you know what performs well with the conditions you will face. Besides, they might also have som used planes that would be great too in a pricepoint you might be interested in.

Frank
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:55 AM
Joined Apr 2012
80 Posts
Everyone of the locals just points me towards the Art Hobby Zuni, so it seems like I'm going with that one... Now for even a new addiction, like I didn't have enough heli's...
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:59 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
I really hope this model is squared away by now.. its been a while since the v1.. and apparently even since the v2 has come out. Hopefully the kit has taken into account some of the suggestions in this thread and improved upon it.

This wont be my first glider.. but it will be my first DLG... anyhow..I ordered this model and will apparently get it Thursday. But I have to say it is slightly depressing to know that I have to start modifying it as I build it so it will work properly.

I was really hoping to just follow the directions and end up with the glider that everyone is raving about. I spose all I can say is thank you to the people in this thread for the hints and tips.. and especially the photos along the way!

Cheers...
DeadServo is offline Find More Posts by DeadServo
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
Well I just received the Binary V2 in the mail and I wanted to say a few things from a total "Building Beginner". I have flown everything from gliders to Helis to Powered planes since the mid-80's... but never got too much into building. Anyhow I just wanted to give a heads up to those that may try their hand and building one of these.

So the model was packed fairly well.. there were a few bits floating around the box but I think those might of been extras.. not sure yet. But the rest was firmly packed. First off I want to say that the kit in no way states that this model is for beginners... so I should have been ready. But just from my initial inspection of the instructions of the kit I am Luke-Warm... here is why (big ones first)

CONS so far..
- Only one of my wings has the Aileron mark.. I am not thrilled about trying to duplicate the accuracy on the other wing.

- The instructions are vague to say the least.. for instance it goes from the initial task of epoxying the wings together ... then on to cutting the ailerons along the "aileron mark" It simply skips RIGHT over the part of adding the fiberglass to the center of the wing. The only reason I know it skipped over this is because the image shows the fiberglass already applied... with no mention of it anywhere else in the directions.

PROS so far
- I am glad that they seem to be using a pushrod for the elevator.. after reading the fiasco with trying to do the spring situation I am very glad they cleared this up.

- Aside from my "missing Aileron" the quality of this kit seems outstanding.

More updates to come... as of now I have to figure out how to accurately cut the ailerons so they match.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:50 PM
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
Closer inspection of my wings reveals the difference... I think I was given a v1 wing and a v2 wing.

Only the Red one has the Aileron marking guides

Has anyone else got the Red/Blue Combo? Is this a mistake or not? Not sure how to tell aside from the Aileron Markings not cut.

[IMG][/IMG]
Last edited by DeadServo; Oct 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:38 PM
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
Ok so Harry wrote to me and apparently the different colored foam is not an issue. Its simply different due to purchasing it at different times.

Still a tweak annoyed that the aileron markings arent there but I'll live.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:00 AM
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
Anyone have any words of wisdom for me regarding the fit of the fuse over the wing pods?

I read that you have to grind down the rear one to fit.. but the front is my real problem because it sits too far down in the fuse for my wing bolts to reach? I tried to flip the bulkhead but then its too much room and the wing sits up high above leaving a gap.. not to mention the instructions seem to want it so the bulkhead hole is low.

I know I am close .. are you guys having to sand down the wing saddle to make the bolts reach?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:23 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Waitakere
Joined Jan 2012
49 Posts
Binary 900 V2 & DX6i Modes

Hi Folks, I have just received my binary 900 and am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction on how to set up or just show the values they have in there transmitter for this wee dlg?
HughesBrothers is offline Find More Posts by HughesBrothers
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:29 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
7,799 Posts
Anyone do top drive ailerons? RDS?
Last edited by Fly2High; Feb 19, 2013 at 09:03 AM.