HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 30, 2009, 09:58 AM
The Penultimate flyer
TSnake's Avatar
Australia, WA, Cooloongup
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
I just finished building and maidened a Binary 900 V2, I have to admit that I didn't enjoy building it at all. I'm use to ARF kits and simple foam wings, this thing was relatively complicated and time consuming to build.
Mine is the V2 version, so it was a little different to the version described in this thread, but I just want to say a BIG thank you to pivlrs for taking the time to do the build thread, this thread was a lot more help to me than the instructions that came with the plane.

Mines Aileron/Elevator, and I was unable to use the bottom surface of the skin as a hinge as described in the instructions, mine just snapped off. It's no big deal though, Blenderm tape works fine as a hinge.
I also decided to deviate from the instructions by placing the servos on the top of the wing.

Like I said, this was not an easy build for me...... but would I do it again ?

Absolutely, this plane is brilliant, and I haven't even had a chance to fly it as it was intended yet (as a DLG).

Peak-hobby Binary 900 V2 (1 min 51 sec)
TSnake is offline Find More Posts by TSnake
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:37 AM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
MattN's Avatar
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,815 Posts
The build of this and its big brother (Binary-III) are a little odd in the way that wing mount system goes together. Trusting that you wont glue the entire plane together is a leap of faith at first - but you get used to it after you re-attach it a few times! Other than that it's a fairly typical build.

Hey Harry (if you are reading...) I have an "extra" v1 B900 - are there any significant changes to the plane for the aileron version (v2)? For example, is there a live hinge in the wing layup, or extra thickness to the root sections, etc?

I'm tempted to build the v1 as an aileron bird...

-matt
MattN is offline Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 06:11 AM
Registered User
Malaysia
Joined Jul 2008
260 Posts
Tsnake ..

Agree with you on how delicate the build is ..

I'd dented the wing surface on number of places since I was holding it too tight with my fingers while working on the wing .... maybe I should be more careful should I build my next dlg ..

here is my lame throw and catch with a lame 38 sec. flight duration .... after only 60+ throw and sore on multiple joints for beginner like me... I should say that i have a high respect to those that can endure the demand of this sports ..

-sam

SAm's Binary DLG (0 min 34 sec)
acurusaragon is offline Find More Posts by acurusaragon
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 09:59 AM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
MattN's Avatar
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurusaragon View Post
I'd dented the wing surface on number of places since I was holding it too tight with my fingers while working on the wing .... maybe I should be more careful should I build my next dlg ..
Those dents are usually easy to get out. Put a wet paper towel on the dent and iron it with a covering iron - the steam penetrates the skin/foam and "re-inflates" the foam cells. You can also simply pour some boiling water on the dents.

Mine was covered with little dents after my build, but almost all of them came out.

-matt
MattN is offline Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2010, 12:53 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2006
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pivlrs View Post
The build of this and its big brother (Binary-III) are a little odd in the way that wing mount system goes together. Trusting that you wont glue the entire plane together is a leap of faith at first - but you get used to it after you re-attach it a few times! Other than that it's a fairly typical build.

Hey Harry (if you are reading...) I have an "extra" v1 B900 - are there any significant changes to the plane for the aileron version (v2)? For example, is there a live hinge in the wing layup, or extra thickness to the root sections, etc?

I'm tempted to build the v1 as an aileron bird...

-matt
Happy New Year
There are two different palces for the V2.0 wing,
1. We put a Nylon sheet on the aileron hinge position.

2. We add 1 lay fiber glass clothes on the aileron servo room position ,
both sides.


Harry
Peakha is offline Find More Posts by Peakha
Last edited by Peakha; Jan 01, 2010 at 07:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2010, 03:31 PM
Registered User
france Colmar
Joined Oct 2009
33 Posts
just few questions:
- Why one binary 900 the elevator is not the same as binary 3?
For my building level it was the hardess to align with "rudder" and wing..
-why carbon pushrod for elevator
-why when you buy a dlg you always ahe to make the slot for the rudder? it's not better maden from factory?

JMB
jmbaur is offline Find More Posts by jmbaur
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2010, 08:48 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2006
54 Posts
Sometimes that is regard to the cost.
No.2 that is concern to the C.G. position of the model ,carbon pushrod is lighter than steelness pushrod for the small DLG.

Harry






Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbaur View Post
just few questions:
- Why one binary 900 the elevator is not the same as binary 3?
For my building level it was the hardess to align with "rudder" and wing..
-why carbon pushrod for elevator
-why when you buy a dlg you always ahe to make the slot for the rudder? it's not better maden from factory?

JMB
Peakha is offline Find More Posts by Peakha
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2010, 04:37 PM
flying is not a dream
lebenj's Avatar
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
995 Posts
a small video with the spy camera in my mooth!

binary02. - tests de lancés (2 min 15 sec)








__________________
i was flying there!
lebenj is offline Find More Posts by lebenj
Last edited by lebenj; Jan 07, 2010 at 04:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2010, 01:29 PM
Everything flies....
PlasticHead's Avatar
So Cal
Joined Oct 2003
1,418 Posts
Nice video, I enjoyed that! Don't swallow the camera...

PH
PlasticHead is offline Find More Posts by PlasticHead
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 08:13 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2006
54 Posts
Unfortunatly,we can not share the video from youtube here.


Harry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticHead View Post
Nice video, I enjoyed that! Don't swallow the camera...

PH
Peakha is offline Find More Posts by Peakha
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 08:16 AM
flying is not a dream
lebenj's Avatar
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
995 Posts
and with VIMEO?

or another way???
lebenj is offline Find More Posts by lebenj
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 08:40 AM
flying is not a dream
lebenj's Avatar
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
995 Posts
in vimeo:
Binary 900V2 - 02 - tests de lancés (2 min 14 sec)
lebenj is offline Find More Posts by lebenj
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:47 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2006
54 Posts
we can visit : www.youku.com

Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebenj View Post
and with VIMEO?

or another way???
Peakha is offline Find More Posts by Peakha
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 04:49 AM
flying is not a dream
lebenj's Avatar
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
995 Posts
is there an english version?
because it's very hard to create an account!!!
lebenj is offline Find More Posts by lebenj
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:13 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2006
54 Posts
that is ture,
Anyway, thanks for your video,could you send it to my e-mail box? (peakha@gmail.com)

I will upload it ,hope chinese funs can share your flight.

Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebenj View Post
is there an english version?
because it's very hard to create an account!!!
Peakha is offline Find More Posts by Peakha
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Peak-Hobby Binary-III DLG Building Thread Kai@UCSB Hand Launch 141 Aug 26, 2011 03:58 AM
Discussion Peak Hobby Binary II Wave Glider Hand Launch 1 Jan 10, 2009 07:48 PM
Cool My Visit to Peak Hobby - Home of the Binary-900 imack Hand Launch 10 Dec 17, 2008 08:02 PM
Hobby Lobby BD5 Build? saint152 Sport Planes 15 Aug 11, 2003 09:59 PM