HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2009, 12:38 PM
USA, NY, Brookhaven
Joined Mar 2003
1,510 Posts
Discussion
Best place to fly rc airplanes???

If you could live anywhere in the USA where would be the best place to fly rc airplanes?
Where do you live and how is the flying there?
rickc

NY Long Island
Always windy and very cold in winter!
Other than that it's great in the summer.
RickC2009 is offline Find More Posts by RickC2009
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2009, 12:56 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,953 Posts
I think Southern California is the ultimate place to live, but only because it includes so many of the best sloping sites in the world. That, and because it's where I already live.

I can think of plenty of places I'd prefer to live if all my planes made their own wind, though. There's a limited number of places to fly powered planes here, especially if they're not electric.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Jan 04, 2009, 12:58 PM
Suspended Account
NH
Joined Jul 2008
331 Posts
i would wanna live in California. big feilds and nice weather.
nhjake is offline Find More Posts by nhjake
Last edited by nhjake; Jan 04, 2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2009, 01:35 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
Well . . . the BEST place is inside a blimp hangar. Lots of room, no wind, and a large smooth area to land.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

Planeman
planeman is online now Find More Posts by planeman
Old Jan 04, 2009, 01:35 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
I think Southern California is the ultimate place to live, but only because it includes so many of the best sloping sites in the world. That, and because it's where I already live.

I can think of plenty of places I'd prefer to live if all my planes made their own wind, though. There's a limited number of places to fly powered planes here, especially if they're not electric.

Pete
Southern California is a nice place physically. It's the values of the people that are the problem.

Ohio stinks for weather. Something like 70 days of sun per year. Don't move here if you've got R/C planes or a motorcycle.
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 04, 2009, 02:05 PM
mI spelin are good
Joined Aug 2007
231 Posts
Mid-Minnesota isnt bad for half the year, In the summer its calm and warm, but in the winter its -20 on average most days and windier than heck, and theres no place to land unless you have skii's.
willlufixthis? is offline Find More Posts by willlufixthis?
Old Jan 04, 2009, 02:23 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willlufixthis?
Mid-Minnesota isnt bad for half the year, In the summer its calm and warm, but in the winter its -20 on average most days and windier than heck, and theres no place to land unless you have skii's.

I love MN in the spring summer and fall. It's the winter that can hurt if all you want to do is fly but it's a good excuse to get some good building in and we do have some indoor options. But heck a decent lake is all you need in the winter if you don't have ski's. The frozen surface give you a wide runway that the wind is always in the right direction.
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2009, 02:25 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
So Cal

Best place ever, except in Crest where there are trees every 10ft., and overhead powerlines surrounding everything. There goes flying
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 04, 2009, 02:40 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore
Southern California is a nice place physically. It's the values of the people that are the problem.
You're painting with a pretty broad brush, don't you think?

Have you ever lived in Southern California?

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Jan 04, 2009, 02:46 PM
Groundloop World Champion
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
The opposite of Minnesota, Glendale Arizona. Winter flying in the 60s and 70s (that's ABOVE zero ).

In the summer you don't even need a monokote iron.....just tack down the edges and hold it in the sun for 2 minutes ........

Old_dude
old_dude is offline Find More Posts by old_dude
Old Jan 04, 2009, 02:58 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
I would say Arizona and New Mexico. They seem to be the best place to fly.

I live in Hollywood, FL. It's not too bad here, but I'm only about a mile from the coast. The wind can pick up a little here. Drive west to the Everglades, and it's much better.

Only bad part is....there's no fields to fly in, besides the R/C fields.
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
Old Jan 04, 2009, 03:36 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,333 Posts
Hey now,
Personally I like it here. That is San Fransisco bay area. Never gets real cold, no snow, little ice. World class sloping sites all 'round. Coastal cliffs for most of the year and some nifty inland sites when we get the Diablo winds (nor-easters). I like flying my smaller models at the school in Pacifica, RSA is fine too and you can fly some big models there. Plus we have several very nice club fields around for glow/gas or leccies. If the wind is up at one site you can try another that is better once you know the ropes anyway.

The only reason I'm not flying today is my truck blew a water pump (or worse) last night .

As to SoCal. I can't stand it there. Too many horrid plastic people, nasty tasting water and insane drivers. Um, and yes, I have lived there. Santa Barbera, Hollywood, and Burbank. Yuck, just yuck...

RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Jan 04, 2009, 03:42 PM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,803 Posts
the best place to fly a loud RC jet is right outside somebody who hates loud RC aircraft and they can't do anything about it because you tied them down before.

I hate those people who think that RC planes are too noise. you can't get away from noise so why try
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old Jan 04, 2009, 05:11 PM
I fly into trees.
United States, AZ, Tempe
Joined Jan 2006
90 Posts
Phoenix, AZ has been good to me. There aren't a ton of parks, but a lot of cleared empty lots from the... umm... housing "slowdown."
Kemper is offline Find More Posts by Kemper
Old Jan 04, 2009, 06:52 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,623 Posts
Hi guys,

I have lived in So. Cal. all of my life. 300 decent or better flying days a year and plenty of things to do. That said, things have changed alot and I will be leaving this state when I retire in about 3-5 years. Texas is looking real good.....

Mickydee
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee