HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2001, 03:47 AM
Joined Mar 2001
47 Posts
I need help with motor timing.

Like a fool I moved the endplate on my new promax cobalt 4014 before I marked it. Now I have a few questions. Everyone talks about reversing the polarity and adjusting the timing, but I installed a apc prop backwards (tractor for a zagi) and I don't need to reverse the polarity. I don't understand why everyone talks about reversing the polarity and adjusting the timing. Did I do something wrong?? Why does everyone talk about it? I set my timing to be about 20 amps static with an apc 6.3x4. Is this way above the efficiency curve? The stats say max 20 amps, but I assume the amps will drop to about 18 amps at speed. Does anyone have suggestions for what kind of current I should see with this prop. Should I go for a 7x4 or maybe a smaller prop. I don't have a lot of experience in propping electric motors. I need any advice anyone has. Thanks for your help again everyone.
jtthebiggafigga is offline Find More Posts by jtthebiggafigga
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2001, 04:30 PM
Joined Mar 2001
47 Posts
anyone have any suggestions?
jtthebiggafigga is offline Find More Posts by jtthebiggafigga
Old Apr 20, 2001, 09:06 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
If you are going to run a motor designed or pre-timed for tractor operation as a pusher, using normal tractor props, then you do indeed need to reverse both the polarity, AND retime it for reverse rotation.
"Advance timing" means the brushes are positioned 'earlier' in the rotation. When you reverse polarity, the brushes are now 'later' in the rotation - you need to rotate them so that they're 'earlier' again, by the same amount. Measuring sometimes works (many motors come with prescribed or printed marks just for this purpose) or measuring current draw, as has been described here many times..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 10, 2001, 12:12 AM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Jan 2001
139 Posts
I screwed up the timing (I don't have a whattmeter), so I sent it back to MPI to re-time it for pusher configuration, maximum efficiency. It's on a Zagi, and I am trying both a APC 7x4 and 7x5. Now it screams. Goes absolute vertical 150+ feet. Learned my lesson - won't touch the timing now!

jhurault is offline Find More Posts by jhurault