Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 04, 2009, 05:10 AM
Bridgwater, Somerset
Joined Jun 2006
128 Posts
Discussion
giantcod.co.uk..are they still going?

I was about to order some bits for a swinger but the site has been down for a few days! Does anyone have any info as to whether they are still trading?

I have emailed Rob at Giant cod but have had no response.

Thanks,

Si
si-fly is offline Find More Posts by si-fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2009, 05:19 AM
Mach 0.261 ... Hiccup of Wiggy
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
Same here Si. Tried to get on the site and its not there anymore...
maybe they are up grading.
HNY
George
Geo420 is offline Find More Posts by Geo420
Old Jan 04, 2009, 05:20 AM
Joined Jun 2007
128 Posts
The same question was posed on another forum, RCME I think, with a reply from Rob saying that the problem is with his server and he is definatly still in business.
fish61 is offline Find More Posts by fish61
Old Jan 04, 2009, 05:32 AM
Bridgwater, Somerset
Joined Jun 2006
128 Posts
Thanks for that info. I will have a look over there.
Si.
Old Jan 04, 2009, 05:42 AM
Bridgwater, Somerset
Joined Jun 2006
128 Posts
Hope its OK posting this here, its the reply from Rob at giant cod on RCME, about the site being down.

"No need to worry... The site is down. Apparently due to 'excess traffic' the maximum allowed bandwidth has been exceeded. The package I have has got 24/7 support but they've all gone on their holiday so no one can be contacted, which is great.
Everything else is fine but I can't get the site back up until there's someone to talk to. We recently changed hosting companies to stop this sort of thing but I think I've either got to transfer the site to another hosting company or wait until they get back to work. I favour the first.

It may not be up until Monday - I hope before, but it's out of my hands this time. Time to get its own private server I think.

But no need to panic. Nothing fishy going on (sorry).

Rob."

Si.
Old Jan 04, 2009, 06:15 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,895 Posts
So GaintCod said: "Nothing fishy going on"! Arf arf arf...
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jan 04, 2009, 11:32 AM
High Wycombe, UK
Joined Apr 2008
436 Posts
The name should be "Giant Con" instead, he ripped me off for 90 of defective goods and then had the audacity to say I didnt know what I was doing. I vowed never to buy from there ever again and always advise caution to anyone who wants to.
Radweld is offline Find More Posts by Radweld
Old Jan 04, 2009, 04:41 PM
west yorks. UK..Home of the Hudds mafia
Joined Apr 2006
1,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radweld
The name should be "Giant Con" instead, he ripped me off for 90 of defective goods and then had the audacity to say I didnt know what I was doing. I vowed never to buy from there ever again and always advise caution to anyone who wants to.
What were you doing ?
yellowblue is offline Find More Posts by yellowblue
Last edited by yellowblue; Jan 04, 2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2009, 05:09 PM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
Quote:
Do you know what you are doing?

I had great service from there.
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
Old Jan 04, 2009, 05:30 PM
Put in all the lead
Devon, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,590 Posts
I too have found him straight dealing.

Steve
n-tropic is offline Find More Posts by n-tropic
Old Jan 05, 2009, 05:29 AM
High Wycombe, UK
Joined Apr 2008
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n-tropic
I too have found him straight dealing.

Steve
Have you tried to return anything?

I bought ESC's, Servos, batteries etc from giantcod, 2 of the 4 servos started to flutter within a week, 1x ESC burned out in mid flight, I mean melted resulting in a no power landing / crash, 1 Lipo was wired up wrong, could have started a fire if I tried to charge it, lucky I inspected it first. Genuine Deans connectors that were the cheap rip offs, A prop that was bent so out of balance it couldnt be used, a motor that used a shaft made out of straw, well was as tough as and a prop adapter that wasnt drilled in the center making it useless.

When I tried to get this lot exchanged, I was just given the run around, my emails etc ignored and eventually when I posted up my disgust at being treated like this on their forum, I was told I didnt know what I was doing, I was a loser and many other insults. So I cut my losses and advise caution if anyone is tempted to buy from him. I replaced all the cheap tat with more expensive gear thats been faltless. I may not know what i'm doing but now I dont get fatal failures anymore.
Old Jan 05, 2009, 05:46 AM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
Quote:
I replaced all the cheap tat with more expensive gear thats been faltless.
Did you not consider this BEFORE you shopped at a place known for cheap and cheerful? Surely you must have suspected that (for example) a 1.50 servo may have quality issues?
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
Old Jan 05, 2009, 06:09 AM
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopetrashuk
Did you not consider this BEFORE you shopped at a place known for cheap and cheerful? Surely you must have suspected that (for example) a 1.50 servo may have quality issues?
I think you sum it up well Andy.
I bought 4 x 2.40 servos, 2 of which were for my Skwiggle. One was dead on arrival and I basically thought well I've bought 3 servos for 9.60 which is still good value. The servos are actually very good and although being in a very sensitive plank perform flawlessly. I also bought a Corona Synth RX and that does glitch every so often but again at 14 for a Synth RX I was hardly buying Multiplex technology and quality. I have heard since that there is a 20% failure rate on these receivers. Great for certain types of model but not all.

You pays your money.................
skirmish is offline Find More Posts by skirmish
Old Jan 05, 2009, 06:25 AM
High Wycombe, UK
Joined Apr 2008
436 Posts
Well someone suggested I buy from there because they were impressed by the quality of price, you always trust what your friends tell you however when I spend 6 months building a new model, I don't want it destroyed because I saved a tenner on a speedo thats likely to catch fire. I think if your happy to throw your money away on sub standard parts then fair enough, buying 8 servos to throw 4 away to get 4 that work doesnt seam like good value.

I learned from this experience and now prefer to spend a little bit more, get better quality and faith that the parts are not going to catch fire or stop working and have a vendor who will at least talk to me if I have a problem.

So to sum up, use them at your own risk and be advised that price is their objective, not quality so if you have defective parts, you might as well bin them because they won't exchange them.
Old Jan 05, 2009, 08:38 AM
Bridgwater, Somerset
Joined Jun 2006
128 Posts
I returned a 50amp speed controller, as it was an upgraded model which I did not want, and was given a refund straight away.
As with all cheap stuff do your research first, some is good, some is not so good!

If you have an expensive toy don't put cheap bits on it!

Si.