Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 03, 2009, 07:45 PM
Cardigan Mountain School 62 Alumni Dr Canaan, NH 03741
Joined Jan 2009
38 Posts
Question
For 6th-graders: give me your tired crashed RCs

I'm a science teacher (and private pilot) - I have one class of 6th graders who want to build RC airplanes. I've got them diverted into six groups designing planes (boy can they be creative). The obvious - getting the parts. If you have a plane/parts you would like to donate, I'll pay the shipping. What I 'think' I need to do is collect up about eight engines, receivers/transmitters, servos, battery packs, chargers; they'll build frame, etc., and attach the parts. (I have a working J-3 Cub Park Flyer which I can use as an example.) My concept - keep it small, keep it simple. I'm new here so if I should post elsewhere, or not at all, let me know. For verification - the school website is cardigan.org, and I'm listed under the faculty. -- Lewis
lewismatson is offline Find More Posts by lewismatson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2009, 07:50 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Welcome to RC Groups!

Firstly, it's important to get an aircraft designed specifically for beginners. You don't want to let a beginner fly a 4 channel low wing psort model, that can easily be overcontrolled into the ground.

Something good to start off with would be a Multiplex Easy Star, or a Hobby Zone Super Cub, both are RTF. I'm certain you can get school discounts from Multiplex or Horizon Hobby, so you don't end up spending a huge fortune on aircraft for your class.

It's also important to have an instructor help out, if you aren't an experienced pilot. It's suprisingly difficult to fly aircraft at first, but will get easier once they progress on.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 03, 2009, 07:55 PM
That's me.
San Francisco Area, CA
Joined Jan 2008
930 Posts
Welcome to RCgroups!

Were you thinking balsa or foam planes? It might be worth checking into EPP foam, as it is extremely crash resistant and can help not get the students discouraged when their model crashes. You can get this foam at rcfoam.com and print out some plans from RCG and have the students cut it out, and build it and install the electronics. There are many beginning models that you might want to look at located in the Foamies Scratchbuilt section of this website.

This is a great idea by the way. I'm sure your class will enjoy it.

@Xpress...: I believe the point of this project is to have the students build an airplane, not have them fly an RTF model.
R/C_Addict is offline Find More Posts by R/C_Addict
Old Jan 03, 2009, 08:05 PM
Joined Jan 2009
38 Posts
thanks for this recommendation on foam. Yes, I definitely want them to build the airframe, or cut the foam, install the parts, crash their plane, start over. I'm not doing/buying plug-n-play. The excitement of getting their plane in the air, even for five feet, will be enough to get them going. - Lewis
Old Jan 03, 2009, 08:14 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
United States, FL, Coconut Creek
Joined Aug 2007
317 Posts
I recently started building with foam board from the dollar tree and using hot glue, for my parkflyers. Just an idea.
Wake Turbulence is offline Find More Posts by Wake Turbulence
Old Jan 03, 2009, 09:27 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
If you're gunna scratch build, then definately get EPP foam. EPP foam is very durable, doesn't break very easily, and will resist crashes pretty well. Soo well, that most of the time you pick the plane back up, and throw it back in the air. I suggest a simple trainer aircraft design, like a high wing 3 channel cessna shape, but 2D. It will be hard to get an airfoil in the wing, so I would suggest either making the wing out of depron, or getting somebody to cut an airfoil into the wing, and have your students cut out the wing shape.

However, you should get someone to help out who is experienced in the hobby, to ensure that the planes are flyable, and that nobody gets hurt. He can also ensure the studens can fly them, and not crash all the time
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 03, 2009, 09:35 PM
One of the usual suspects
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2007
1,470 Posts
Blu-Baby and
FMS!
Vicarious is online now Find More Posts by Vicarious
Old Jan 03, 2009, 09:58 PM
Lexington SC
Joined Jan 2008
464 Posts
Good stuff here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661873
NightTrain0128 is offline Find More Posts by NightTrain0128
Old Jan 03, 2009, 10:02 PM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
Lucky class!!!
hot glue is offline Find More Posts by hot glue
Old Jan 03, 2009, 10:13 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismatson
thanks for this recommendation on foam. Yes, I definitely want them to build the airframe, or cut the foam, install the parts, crash their plane, start over. I'm not doing/buying plug-n-play. The excitement of getting their plane in the air, even for five feet, will be enough to get them going. - Lewis

if theyre going to ''test'' multiple airframes you should try bluecore foam insulation, its also known as FFF its VERY cheap so if the students design is unsuccesful it will not cost much to throw a 3 dollor airframe away VS an EPP airframe which will cost around 10-15 dollars
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Jan 03, 2009, 10:27 PM
That's me.
San Francisco Area, CA
Joined Jan 2008
930 Posts
Yes, FFF is another good alternative. I believe a 50 foot roll(it may be shoter) is like $30 at Lowes. One roll could probably make you a class of airplanes.
R/C_Addict is offline Find More Posts by R/C_Addict
Old Jan 03, 2009, 10:47 PM
Joined Jan 2009
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape
if theyre going to ''test'' multiple airframes you should try bluecore foam insulation, its also known as FFF its VERY cheap so if the students design is unsuccesful it will not cost much to throw a 3 dollor airframe away VS an EPP airframe which will cost around 10-15 dollars

bluecore foam insulation -- FFF foam -- thanks for this suggestion -- and I see from the next post, available at Lowes. Appreciate it, -Lewis
Old Jan 04, 2009, 09:37 AM
Joined Jan 2009
38 Posts
thanks Rusty

Want to say thanks to Rusty for a donation already -- really appreciate it. this will make the effort do-able for me. I'll tell the kids who donations came from too. ...realllly want to do this for the kids. -- just so everyone knows, school budgets cover textbooks. So, if you have a local school, and you want to do something like this, the kids will love it, they'll never forget it, and the lightbulb goes on that any cost is irrelevant. -Lew
Old Jan 06, 2009, 09:21 AM
Have glue gun, will travel...
USA, NY, LONG ISLAND
Joined Mar 2004
870 Posts
Lewis,
Very cool that you do that work. I work in an elementary school and have a model airplane and rocket club for 4th graders. The kids are quite young but they have a blast! (forgive the pun) We build Estes Rockets and simple balsa jet profile gliders from Aerocraftrc.com. Most kids require a good deal of assistance so my group is small, about 12 kids. Last year a friend donated a used plane and I upgraded it to brushless and set it up on a buddy box. I also have an EZ Glider Electric that I'll use with them. I'm going to experiment and have some of the kids fly on FMS and see if they can generalize their skills to the field. See my BLOG for more info.
Ken1.8T is offline Find More Posts by Ken1.8T
Old Jan 06, 2009, 09:38 AM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismatson
Yes, I definitely want them to build the airframe, or cut the foam, install the parts, crash their plane, start over...The excitement of getting their plane in the air, even for five feet, will be enough to get them going.
Myself being an educator I understand your principle of first letting the kids design something themselves and, during flight attempts, seeing what's right and what's wrong. In this respect, if someone actually wants to donate the likes of an Easy Star, I would keep such a plane in the closet for a while. Because once a kid sees such a plane fly and discovers how easy it is to control, they could easily lose motivation to design a plane themselves and experiment.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik