HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2001, 12:50 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,291 Posts
Take Care With Titles

It would appear that there has been a great deal of member bashing lately. I believe a large part has to do withe the way threads are titled. Readers are immediatly put on the defensive simply by reading the title. For instance "Hobby Horse---What a Joke" would put customers who have never had a problem on the defensive ane creates an atmosphere hostile to the thread originator. Perhaps "Hobby Horse Service Problem" would have been more appropriate. The explaination would then carry more weight to those who would otherwise write off the thread as a vent.

Onlt my .02 Sense

BillM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2001, 02:28 PM
Dallas, Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2000
363 Posts
Agreed, thank you Bill.

Cash
Cash Traylor is offline Find More Posts by Cash Traylor
Old Jul 18, 2001, 03:11 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Dec 2000
140 Posts
Well, I *was* planning on staying out of the fray, but I hope nobody minds another 2 cents.
I agree with Bill that people need to be careful with their titles, but I feel it should also be extended to the wording used in the body of the post. One of the major shortcomings of the 'net is that emotions, sarcasm, and joking is not immediately apparent because the reader has not had any personal contact with the writer. Unfortunately today’s society (that's us!) seems to mostly assume a poster's intent is as negative and offensive as we can possibly make it.
I wish there were an easy solution, but I think Bill is partially on the right track. As a poster we should all be careful what, and how, we post. I always proofread all my posts, trying to make sure that they can't be misread.
In addition, as readers we could cut each other a little slack and assume that we might be misinterpreting the content. If you want to voice your opinion, try to do it without attacking or insulting the original poster.
Finally, I would ask yourself if posting will really add something to the topic. I hope this one does.
Mark
mralston is offline Find More Posts by mralston
Old Jul 18, 2001, 08:54 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
Yeh, I have a way of words on the internet that allways seams to create a stir.
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
Old Jul 18, 2001, 11:18 PM
Joined Nov 2000
6,291 Posts
mralston
Thank you for saying some things I should have said.
Old Jul 22, 2001, 10:10 AM
Richmond,Va. USA
Joined Mar 2000
135 Posts
Give Hobby Club a try the next time. www.hobbyclub.com

Have A Ball

Hans
VaVol is offline Find More Posts by VaVol
Old Jul 23, 2001, 03:48 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,017 Posts
So I shouldn't have "Brand-X sells nothing but junk!!" in any of my titles (That was meant to be sarcasm)
I agree. Some people do it for the shock factor and the need to vent. Get some control people and show some class! It usually ends up making the poster look bad anyways.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
Old Jul 23, 2001, 10:22 AM
Joined Mar 2000
406 Posts
Sorry! I deleted all my other posts here except for the one about Dymond. I wont post here again. Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Rust (edited 07-23-2001).]
Chris Rust is offline Find More Posts by Chris Rust
Old Jul 24, 2001, 12:38 AM
Joined Nov 2000
6,291 Posts
Chris
Please don't misinterpert my message. If you have a problem that you have not been able to resolve then by all means post it. But in doing so use language that does not reflect your problem in a bad way. State the facts and stay away from the name calling and finger pointing. You will find that any replies you get will be far more informative and civil than if you had gone the other way.

BillM