HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2009, 05:03 PM
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
Discussion
Epoxy resins vs. polyester resins

I have found epoxy resins, used for fiberglassing, to be quite expensive. I am wondering how polyester resin compares to epoxy resins? I can get polyester resins for much, much cheaper than epoxy.
Does a polyester resin weigh more than an epoxy resin? Which is stronger, in terms of mold making?
I do realize that polyester resin has it's setbacks too, such as it eats foam....

FJ
FlyJumper is offline Find More Posts by FlyJumper
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2009, 06:32 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Polyester is more brittle, less strong.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Jan 02, 2009, 09:01 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,164 Posts
Polyester resin will also eat foam if you want to do a lost foam cowl or other shape. For that application epoxy laminating resin is the only way to go.

The strength in the part should come from the density of the fiber and not the type of resin used. Having said that polyester is more brittle as noted by Pinecone so you need to be more attentive to the layup around mounting points.

Both resins are very fuel proof. If you use the polyester be sure to use the unwaxed style resin or you'll have a tough time getting paint to stick to it later on.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jan 02, 2009, 09:24 PM
internet gadfly
Colorado
Joined Aug 2006
2,153 Posts
Also don't use polyester for thin parts like skins and bulkheads because it continues to shrink for several months and WILL warp
nmasters is offline Find More Posts by nmasters
Old Jan 02, 2009, 09:25 PM
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
Thanks guys! I'm going to use epoxy resins.

FJ
Old Jan 03, 2009, 01:32 AM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,108 Posts
What would you usually use the polyester resin for?. It sounds like there's not too much left after skins, bulkheads and sheeting foam. I'm not being a smart a#$, I'm new to this area of the hobby and I'm really curious as I have a can of the poly and was going to use it for foam/wood sheeted wings. Warping and melting seem a possibility.

Keith
kwmtrubrit is offline Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
Old Jan 03, 2009, 07:10 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
They build boats and car boddies with it.

I haven't used poly around models ever. Always epoxy.
Old Jan 03, 2009, 07:49 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
I moulded an undercarriage out of polyester.

Perfect for the job.

But other than that, epoxy.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jan 04, 2009, 07:39 PM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,444 Posts
I use polyester resin to build molds or to make fuselages, work great. Aeropoxy ( BVM) or Hysol for joining fiberglass and plywood. Pacer Z-poxy 30 minutes finishing resin to cover balsa with fiberglass cloth...the best .
bidule is offline Find More Posts by bidule
Old Jan 04, 2009, 08:03 PM
USA, IL, Malta
Joined Jan 2004
742 Posts
Epoxy resins wick into wood grains better as well. I use thin epoxy when glassing wood boats. Poly isn't fun to breath in. Epoxy resin has a mild order and should not be harmful.

Neither resin bonds well to the other.

-Rocko
rockom is offline Find More Posts by rockom
Old Jan 04, 2009, 09:02 PM
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidule
I use polyester resin to build molds or to make fuselages, work great. Aeropoxy ( BVM) or Hysol for joining fiberglass and plywood. Pacer Z-poxy 30 minutes finishing resin to cover balsa with fiberglass cloth...the best .
How strong do your polyester fuselages come out? Have you compared it to an epoxy?

Thanks for all the help,

FJ
Old Jan 04, 2009, 09:42 PM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,444 Posts
They are strong if you use the appropriate fiberglass and if you use carbon tow and carbon cloth @ the right place. Many ARF are made with polyester resin .Epoxy is very expensive..
bidule is offline Find More Posts by bidule
Old Jan 04, 2009, 11:52 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jun 2004
200 Posts
Poly Resins are dinosaurs. Forget about them. The catalysts (MEK) are more hazardous, the resin smells horrible, and are not as stable in the sunlight. (I might have that last one backwards)

What they are for- is for fiberglass mat. Epoxy resins will not disolve the glues that hold the mat together, and will not allow it wet and relax to the complicated shapes that you use mat for. No one on these forums uses glass mat.

I don't doubt that ARF manufacturers would use polyester resins to cut cost. Remember that those folk are also (probably) in industrial areas with the facilities to deal with this trash. Then again, they may just be poisoning themselves...
johnsocj is offline Find More Posts by johnsocj
Old Jan 05, 2009, 05:12 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Epoxy resins can create alergies to epoxy, which can limit your later use of them. Just because there isn't an odor, doesn't mean they are perfectly safe.

Avoid skin contact and use in a well ventilated area for both types of resin.

ESPECIALLY with poly, wear safety goggles when handling the catalyst. A single tiny drop in your eye could cause lose of vision in that eye. MEKP is VERY reactive to body tissue.
Old Jan 05, 2009, 09:50 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmtrubrit
What would you usually use the polyester resin for?. It sounds like there's not too much left after skins, bulkheads and sheeting foam. I'm not being a smart a#$, I'm new to this area of the hobby and I'm really curious as I have a can of the poly and was going to use it for foam/wood sheeted wings. Warping and melting seem a possibility.

Keith
Surfboards

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda