SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2009, 03:35 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
Help!
G-style Tug Plans/pictures

I was wondering if anyone out there knows where I could find plans and pictures of a Great Lakes G-Style Tug in its modern form? The only luck I had was the original steam types. Thanks in advance.

Greg Knipp
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2009, 03:45 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,727 Posts
I haven't found plans yet, but if you go to this thread you will get a link to a lot of pictures by Jeff Churchill.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798653&

Here is another link from boatnerd:

http://www.boatnerd.com/Shiphotos/fo...ugs/g-tugs.htm

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Last edited by P_J_Glor; Jan 02, 2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2009, 04:06 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,727 Posts
Here is a link to the Detroit Historical Society listing for the tug "Ecorse", which appears to be a G Tug type.

http://www.olddetroitshop.com/ecorsetug.html; and here's a picture of the Ecorse. http://www.mhsd.org/photogallery/tugecorse.jpg Interesting large Ford tug behind her. She looks to be a steam tug but may have been converted or would at least have a close enough hull to the converted G Tugs.

Pete G.
Last edited by P_J_Glor; Jan 02, 2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2009, 04:08 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,765 Posts
Greg, as far as I know, the old 78' G-tugs never made it to a modern conversion.

The ones you see in service today are the larger versions, which were converted to diesel in the mid to late 1950's, and given new cabins.

The older tugs, or "city" class, were 78' long x 17' beam, and the later boats, or "state" class, were nominally 81' long x 20' beam.

Several of the tugs were lengthened while still in the yard being built, though there isn't much of a record of that.

I measured a few of the existing boats here in Buffalo several years ago, and got lengths of 84' and 86' but can't recall which ones they were---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jan 02, 2009, 04:39 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,727 Posts
G Tug Idaho

Actually, Jeff Churchill's photo page for the Idaho, at this link, http://www.greatlakesmodeling.com/da...um1/index.html lists her at 78' with a 20' beam.

So if you found a plan for a 78' "city tug," the hull might be suitable for conversion.

I find it ineresting that most of the tugs are longer, because a "Jeff Churill" (I think it is the same Jeff Churchill, but mispelled) did a conversion of a Lindbergh tug to a G Tug at this link: http://greatlakesmodeling.com/museum...rill_g_tug.htm, but said the Lindberg hull is too long for an actual G Tug. It might be too long for a 78' boat, but maybe not for an 84' boat.

Pete G.
Old Jan 02, 2009, 06:15 PM
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
118 Posts
I too have been searching for G tug plans for a long time, and the only thing I've come across is the drawings with the hull from Microglass. I'm hoping that maybe someday the Great Lakes Historical Society will be able to list the ones they have. You could write or phone them to do a search for you, check them out at htpp://www.inlandseas.org.
I used them to search for plans on the another vessel, although they didn't have any they do have an extensive archive and a really beautiful museum. They might be worth a try. Some of their other plans are on line.
And the correct name really is Jeff Churill of greatlakesmodeling.com
Great Lakes Towing themselves aren't interested in helping out us modelers, I know of a few people who tried to get information from them with no results.

Large Mike
large mike is offline Find More Posts by large mike
Old Jan 02, 2009, 06:47 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,727 Posts
Thanks, Mike, and apologies to Jeff. I have been reading his name wrong all these years. I can see now that is also the spelling in the fine print for his position as Moderator of the Great Lakes Moddeller's Forum and builder of the Edmond Fitzgerald model that is featured there.

I guess it might be possible that the collection at Bowling Green might have some plans. I got some drawings of a laker from them several years ago after an exchange of e-mails.

Pete g.
Old Jan 02, 2009, 07:21 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
The first chapter of Franz VonRidel's Tugboats of the Great Lakes covers the G tugs. Some nice photos of the old boats. Unfortunately not one picture of one high and dry so you could discern the hull and chine shapes. Greg like the others said you best bet will be Bowling Green or Vermilion. Over the years I too have heard that GLT is not receptive to aiding modelers. A model on my to extended someday to do list is the wrecking tug Favorite.

der kapitan, The G tugs we have had here are listed on the Vessel Documentation Query as 74.8 x 19.9 x 11.6. These include Virginia, Texas, Mississippi, Arkansas, and California. They were built from 1909 to 1926. We also had Superior here for awhile 82 x 22 x 10.7 and Wisconsin 83 x 21.2 x 9.6.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Jan 02, 2009, 07:41 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,727 Posts
I sent a query to Bowling Green They provided me with drawings for one of the Lakers a couple of years ago, and they have nearly all the tugs I have seen in photos listed in their on-line image search. For those who don't know about this facility, here is a link: http://ul.bgsu.edu/cgi-bin/xvsl2.cgi. I will let you know when I get a response regarding the availability of drawings.

Pete G.
Old Jan 02, 2009, 08:10 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,747 Posts
BGSU has archives of old companies, like the Great Lakes Engineering Works.
Great Lakes Towing is an ongoing concern, so we're not likely to find their archives there.
But who knows...

BTW... the Marine Historical Society of Detroit has just released a big book on the GLEW, which one of our club members here in Michigan had a helping hand in:
http://www.mhsd.org/publications/#GLEW
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Last edited by patmat2350; Jan 02, 2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2009, 11:58 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
Thanks all, you are all a wealth of information and I appreciate the help. It is amazing what one finds out when the right sources are tapped.

Thanks all again.
Greg

BTW, I didn't even realize they had city and state class either. WOW!!!!
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Jan 03, 2009, 07:46 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
Greg, If you are coming down for the big boat show let me know. I'll bring my photo album.
Old Jan 03, 2009, 09:44 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,765 Posts
Willem, I wouldn't take the vessel documentation measurements with any degree of seriousness, and I don't think you do either. A lot of those figures were provided by the company, and may have reflected a way to keep down docking fees---.

Also, are these lengths overall, or between perpendiculars? Our best bet is to go out and physically measure them---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jan 03, 2009, 09:46 AM
westland Mi
Joined Apr 2007
172 Posts
Favorite

I remember the Favorite tied up by the Valley Camp in the Soo growing up. They had hopes of using it as a museum tug but it never happened. I think it went for scrap from there?
heavyhauler is offline Find More Posts by heavyhauler
Last edited by heavyhauler; Jan 04, 2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2009, 11:40 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan
Willem, I wouldn't take the vessel documentation measurements with any degree of seriousness, and I don't think you do either. A lot of those figures were provided by the company, and may have reflected a way to keep down docking fees---.

Also, are these lengths overall, or between perpendiculars? Our best bet is to go out and physically measure them---.
I just checked my old Greenwood & Dills and Know your Ships 2007 . They both list California, Virginia, Texas, Mississippi, and Arkansas at 81 x 20 x 12.6 so you are dead on. Wisconsin is listed at 90.3 x 21 x 12.3 and Superior at 97 x 22 x 12.6.

And here I thought we could trust our government