HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2009, 02:00 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,328 Posts
Discussion
Old version SAE SD85-12N vs newer version SAE SD80-12?

I finally fried my older version SD85-12N. Normal deal, get ready to go, spin the blades, switch off throttle hold with stunt mode set and Puff, magic white smoke boils out! Crap, unplug and grab the other heli to fly.

This was on my Logo600 V-Bar running 2 6s-3700 evo20 batteries in series for 12s-3700. Motor is the Z50A-800 w/12t pinion and using the Mikado 3rd bearing support. Performance was good and I was only using 1800mah for 6min of light to medium 3d at 2100rpm. I can't really fly well enough to justify bumping the hs higher so I don't know how the setup would have worked pushing it harder. This controller had a couple hundred flights on it mostly using 10s-3700. This is the second one that I have fried but the first one was a direct result of the motor shorting first and then frying the controller. I checked this motor's windings and they all show approx. .6 ohms between each other. The motor should be fine.

SAE now has a newer version of their high amp/high voltage controller called the SD80-12 that is selling for $149. Has anyone tried this controller? Any feedback about any of the newer version controllers that SAE has out? For the flying I do, I am not ready to shell out $300+ dollars for what has become a real high dollar component in the larger heli's. The good news is that I have one more of these to play with (stealing it out of my 6s powered Spitfire.) so I don't need to get another HV heli controller today.
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
to remove ads between posts