HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2010, 02:52 PM
Finland
Joined Apr 2007
212 Posts
Ha ha!!!!! Thats funny!
TP.
Tuomas P. is offline Find More Posts by Tuomas P.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:16 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,517 Posts
Hi all, hope resurrecting this thread doesn't put anyone off, but I figure this is the most recent D-99 discussion so...

I just got a D-99 from Bob! I've digested about 100 of pages of threads with tips on building, cg, power setups, servos for the D-99, but I still have a few more specific questions for you D-99 guys. First here's my planned setup (for now anyways):

Mega 16-15-3
TP 3s2100 PL2 (G4-20C)
APC 4.75x4.75e
Phoenix 35
4cell 125mah Kan 1/4AAA Rx pack
2x Hyperion DS09-AMD for ailerons
Same for elevator
AR6255
servos mounted stacked (future 4s2100/Neu 1110)

I know, it's nothing spectacular, but I originally planned on doing a Voodoo. Got the motor, then found out Voodoo's are backordered for a while, so got a D-99 instead (lucky me!!! ). Now my questions:

1) My airframe weighed in at 7.00oz naked. Everywhere I read seems to say it should be 5.5oz. Is this due to a new improved layup, or is it just too much schlepp? [edit: just in case here's what I got... Wing=4.68oz, Stab/Fin=0.84oz, Fuse=1.48oz]

2) Referring to the torque rod diagram in this photo:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...chmentid=56909
I am having trouble wrapping my mind around how to fit a decent thickness rod in there, especially with the tapered part that goes in the aileron. Perhaps I'm not moving the aileron enough, but I'm scared of damaging something or adding slop to the hinges. How far is it OK to flex the aileron up for torque rod installation? (30deg, 45deg, 60deg).

3) How are you guys mounting a ball stud to the elevator? There doesn't look to be enough clearance between the rudder and elevator to use a back-plate/nut on top of the elevator. Do you guys just pot it straight in to the elevator with epoxy or something?... at a some angle or square to the elevator for more glue surface & leverage?

4) Not sure if the fuse mold has been corrected since you guys were shimming stabs a while back... still a requirement?... did the mould ever get corrected?

Thanks in advance,
Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:17 AM
San Clemente Ca,
Joined Jun 2009
31 Posts
d99

your setup sounds is good, that was my first d99 setup before swicthing over to neu motor and cc45amp esc. not sure if i would would go with the receiver pack because of space. I use a ccbec and have never had any issues. ive flown two diff. setups and one had a shim at the horizon/stab the other one did not, I did not notice any flying diff between the two planes, elev. seemed to be centered on both? some of the guys I fly with wing mount there servos, my plane I have them mounted in the center (but you might need to tape the ail. tips) not until you go to a faster setup though.
meado_28 is offline Find More Posts by meado_28
Old Dec 28, 2010, 06:37 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,517 Posts
Thanks meado, I doubt the Rx pack is going to make it any safer than my built in BEC for now, but when I upgrade the motor I'd like to have it. I figured why not arrange my aft fuse now for the future. One of Troy's posts mentioned about 0.5mm shim. I think I'll go with like 0.3mm just to be conservative. I also did plan on taping my tips for maiden. I doubt I'd get flutter with my current setup, but like the Rx pack I want to get familiar and not have to change "handling items" when I upgrade the motor/battery/esc. I know it'll handle different anyways with all the extra weight, but just trying to minimize failure.

Question 1) Ah well, why it's heavy is useless info really. I was just curious where the extra weight might come from. The paint job does seem thick, but I'm not complaining; the asymmetrical color scheme makes it look like a D06. If nobody has input on this, I'll tell myself it's because there's extra carbon in there.

Question 2) I think I can work through the torque rods with 4-40 rod pretty safely. Of course if anyone wants to offer advice on max aileron deflection I'm all ears.

Question 3) Jury is still out on this... last night I saw a ball stud with backplate, and the guy dremeled a notch in the fin to clear the hardware. I don't want to dremel a notch if there's a better way...?

Kev
Old Dec 28, 2010, 06:51 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
Hi all, hope resurrecting this thread doesn't put anyone off, but I figure this is the most recent D-99 discussion so...

I just got a D-99 from Bob! I've digested about 100 of pages of threads with tips on building, cg, power setups, servos for the D-99, but I still have a few more specific questions for you D-99 guys. First here's my planned setup (for now anyways):

Mega 16-15-3
TP 3s2100 PL2 (G4-20C)
APC 4.75x4.75e
Phoenix 35
4cell 125mah Kan 1/4AAA Rx pack
2x Hyperion DS09-AMD for ailerons
Same for elevator
AR6255
servos mounted stacked (future 4s2100/Neu 1110)

I know, it's nothing spectacular, but I originally planned on doing a Voodoo. Got the motor, then found out Voodoo's are backordered for a while, so got a D-99 instead (lucky me!!! ). Now my questions:

1) My airframe weighed in at 7.00oz naked. Everywhere I read seems to say it should be 5.5oz. Is this due to a new improved layup, or is it just too much schlepp? [edit: just in case here's what I got... Wing=4.68oz, Stab/Fin=0.84oz, Fuse=1.48oz]

2) Referring to the torque rod diagram in this photo:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...chmentid=56909
I am having trouble wrapping my mind around how to fit a decent thickness rod in there, especially with the tapered part that goes in the aileron. Perhaps I'm not moving the aileron enough, but I'm scared of damaging something or adding slop to the hinges. How far is it OK to flex the aileron up for torque rod installation? (30deg, 45deg, 60deg).

3) How are you guys mounting a ball stud to the elevator? There doesn't look to be enough clearance between the rudder and elevator to use a back-plate/nut on top of the elevator. Do you guys just pot it straight in to the elevator with epoxy or something?... at a some angle or square to the elevator for more glue surface & leverage?

4) Not sure if the fuse mold has been corrected since you guys were shimming stabs a while back... still a requirement?... did the mould ever get corrected?

Thanks in advance,
Kev
1. Don't worry about the airframe weight, I'll bet it's within normal.
2. You have to cut a slit from the start of the aileron back to the base of the torque rod to slip the long portion of wire under the skin. The aileron needs to be drilled or dremel'd to accept the wire diameter, wire sharpened to reduce thickness, aileron bent about 30 degrees to allow the wire to slide in. The hinge is a bit stiff when flexing. Use my diagram there for the guide.
3. You have to sand away some of the lower part of the fin if you want to use a nut at the end of the ball link stud. I use a Dubro ball link but you can use a metal clevis and G-10 control horn as well.
4. With the CG in the spot I always flew at, I needed a 1/2mm shim for level trim.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:53 AM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,517 Posts
Good to go for maiden tomorrow... I hope.

I know, I know, lead and Deans don't belong in this plane, but I'm borrowing a buddies lipos for now, and I built it so I can drop in a much heavier setup when I'm ready later on without a bunch of R&R.

The rx pack easily fits between the servo and rx, but I had to move it way up... and still add 1.1oz of lead to the front of the lipo for CG! I wasn't expecting to need so much weight up front. My AUW came out to 22.5oz. I can always replace the lead with a bigger motor, and I've got lots of room to stuff a big pack and move it pretty far aft if need be.

I really like the "d06 look" as far as the paint goes, but I'm guessing Sergey had to lay that pink on heavy to cover the mold. I needed 1/8oz of lead under the white tip for lateral balance... worth it IMO.

Cheers,
Kev

ps: If you guys don't hear from me in a while, it's 'cause I'm habitually flying my d99.
Last edited by Truglodite; Jan 09, 2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 10:17 AM
Antioch Ca.
Joined Aug 2007
20 Posts
Nice job !!!

Looks great Kev ! I will be up there in about 4 hours with my SUNRACER. can't wait to see the maiden. BTW if you are faster I'm taking my battery home with me j/k see you soon...Brian
navybrian is offline Find More Posts by navybrian
Old Jan 09, 2011, 11:11 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,517 Posts
Brian, we'll have to get 'em both up at the same time first.

I got 2 flights in today. First one with CG at 38mm, second at about 39.5mm. I used 4mm elevator for landing both times. The second time I noticed a mild snap roll at full up elevator going slow just before touchdown. At 39.5mm it's still climbing at full throttle when trimmed for lower speeds. I'm hoping 40mm is the magic number, because I remember reading one of Troys ancient posts that said something like "38-40mm, any further back and it will snap roll."

If I get to 40mm and it still climbs, what next... mixing?

BTW, after the second flight, the elevator trim was neutral. Thanks for the tip Troy.

Kev
Last edited by Truglodite; Jan 10, 2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:53 AM
Joined Feb 1999
6,011 Posts
Glad to hear your maiden flight went well. It sounds like you felt the limit of elevator high rates before it will drop a wing tip. Maybe back off .5mm if it still gives you enough of a flare. With the cg at the rear most point, it can do this rather quickly if you are low and slow. Your build looks really clean and solid. Glad those ancient posts were able to help out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:16 AM
Huntington Beach So. Cal
Joined Jul 2008
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
Brian, we'll have to get 'em both up at the same time first.

I got 2 flights in today. First one with CG at 38mm, second at about 39.5mm. I used 4mm elevator for landing both times. The second time I noticed a mild snap roll at full up elevator going slow just before touchdown. At 39.5mm it's still climbing at full throttle when trimmed for lower speeds. I'm hoping 40mm is the magic number, because I remember reading one of Troys ancient posts that said something like "38-40mm, any further back and it will snap roll."

If I get to 40mm and it still climbs, what next... mixing?

BTW, after the second flight, the elevator trim was neutral. Thanks for the tip Troy.

Kev
Mixing.... on a radian yes. D99 no way. Try shimming the motor.
The D99 seems very cg sensitive. Putting the battery in a little off the mark will change trim. Landing the D99 is also tricky to. Seems like a 5mph head wind helps a lot. The D99 is a fun little devil!!!
grobbins666 is offline Find More Posts by grobbins666
Old Jan 10, 2011, 03:29 PM
DS JUNKY
DA VALLEY, CA
Joined Jun 2004
1,445 Posts
FYI anyone looking for a D99 I have one for sale cheap. Not the prettyist but fully functional. Accepting any reasonable offer.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1354366
Z06kal is online now Find More Posts by Z06kal
Old Jan 12, 2011, 03:26 AM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,517 Posts
Thanks Troy and grobbins! My next few flights I'm going to reduce elevator for sure. I think I'll also try shimming the motor down a bit if I can't fix it by moving the CG back a hair... you guys think 1mm more is safe?

After checking again, the CG was at 40mm on the second flight. That 2mm change made a huge difference, and perhaps about 1mm more with less elevator will do the trick. Also, if I was to shim the motor, how many mm's of shim would make a "noticeable difference"? I'm reluctant to shim the motor vs adjusting CG, since my understanding is changing the thrustline usually adds more drag. Correct?

You guys are the best! From 2 short flights, I already know this flying season is going to be the funnest I've had in 25years.

Kev
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:02 AM
Joined Feb 1999
6,011 Posts
I don't recall having too many issues with climbing under power. The trims do change with speed so at lower speeds I have to hold some elevator. But shimming the motor may give you a little more flexibility in trim and speeds...it shouldn't take much angle to show a difference. I usually just add a washer or two on the top or bottom on the backside of the firewall.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:55 PM
Huntington Beach So. Cal
Joined Jul 2008
879 Posts
mega 16/15/4

Does any one know the best setup with a CC esc and a mega 16/15/4 Timing/Switching rate? I was running a ice 50 and a 4s with a 4.75 * 5.5 today and all of sudden the motor stopped and I was forced to land. Perhaps I over propped the motor. Watts up meter said 33 amp so I thought I was good.

Update. Logger says prop strike.
grobbins666 is offline Find More Posts by grobbins666
Last edited by grobbins666; Jan 12, 2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:09 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grobbins666 View Post
Does any one know the best setup with a CC esc and a 16/15/4 Timing/Switching rate? I was running a ice 50 and a 4s with a 4.75 * 5.5 today and all of sudden the motor stopped and I was forced to land. Perhaps I over propped the motor. Watts up meter said 33 amp so I thought I was good.

Update. Logger says prop strike.
In my brief experience, prop strike generally indicates currect-limiting or LVC. Did you check the settings on your ESC?

Kid
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418