HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2009, 06:41 PM
Faster!
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Oct 2004
1,141 Posts
Discussion
Spatha 70mm EDF Scratch Build by Phil Wesley

Here is our second attempt at a scratch built EDF. After the untimely death of our Javelin sport jet, we decided we'd try a more conventional design that we know will work, and it needed to be done by the Arizona Electric Festival.

The Spatha, went from drawing to flying in just 10 days! I test flew it today at our annual Chili Fly and it was spectacular. I flew three batteries through it and performed seven takeoffs and landings. It's very fast, solid, and slows down nicely for landings. The Spring Air 600 series retracts performed flawlessly and really adds a cool factor.

Power system: Wemotec Mini Fan 480 (70mm) spun by a Neu 1115/1.5D (3850kv) with power being provided from an EVO-20 4S 3700mah and regulated by an E-Flite 60amp ESC. This system provides approx 900 watts at our field elevation.

Specs:

38.5" Span
334sq" Area
41" Length
54 oz AUW
23.3 oz/sqft Wing loading

I will post some more in depth photos along with some construction photos later this weekend. But no more flying until AEF!!!

-Joshua
Joshua Wesley is online now Find More Posts by Joshua Wesley
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2009, 06:55 PM
My dremel tool has no fear
Reston, VA
Joined Dec 1999
351 Posts
very nice, thought it was a little heavy until I realized you have retracts

I really like it, nice job!
Mark is offline Find More Posts by Mark
Old Jan 01, 2009, 08:36 PM
Kissimmee, FL
Joined Mar 2001
123 Posts
Joshua,

That is sweet! Watching for your construction pictures!

Sean
Sean Sweeney is offline Find More Posts by Sean Sweeney
Old Jan 01, 2009, 09:00 PM
Faster!
Joined Oct 2004
1,141 Posts
Oh, and that is NOT PINK!!! Its really red, very red, but the color on the camera is goofy or something, I swear!!!
Old Jan 01, 2009, 09:48 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,317 Posts
Who cares what color it is, this is a very pleasing shape, clean and tidy and would look so cool in any disguise! Is it primarily balsa/ply? Are you going to offer plans at all? Well done on providing some creative juices to the edf world and all with pretty standard and available stuff ---- great effort Joshua.
killickb is offline Find More Posts by killickb
Old Jan 01, 2009, 10:01 PM
Faster!
Joined Oct 2004
1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb
Who cares what color it is, this is a very pleasing shape, clean and tidy and would look so cool in any disguise! Is it primarily balsa/ply? Are you going to offer plans at all? Well done on providing some creative juices to the edf world and all with pretty standard and available stuff ---- great effort Joshua.
Yes, it is all balsa and ply! Plans... I don't know, its up to Dad, and I doubt it. He's never been interested in generating plans, and I just don't have enough time! I'll post a lot of photos, and perhaps some drawings to give anyone a bit of a head start that wants to create their own. The only problem is that it came out a bit tail heavy. Need to lengthen the nose a little or....

Ya, the only really expensive, slightly exotic part is the Neu Motor! I plan to use the Jet Screamer 1400 on the next project. Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy with the Neu motor, its incredible! But the wife is not going to allow quite the same budget on the next bird!

-Joshua
Last edited by Joshua Wesley; Jan 01, 2009 at 10:02 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old Jan 01, 2009, 10:10 PM
Faster!
Joined Oct 2004
1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
very nice, thought it was a little heavy until I realized you have retracts

I really like it, nice job!
It did come out slightly heavier than we hoped, but the performance is still outstanding! Not 1:1 thrust to weight, but a 45 degree continous climb is no problem.

When you add retracts like you pointed out, it really adds a lot of weight. Not only do you have the retract system, but you need a retract servo, wheels, wheel collars, and you have to make room in the design to fit it all in. Then there is all the extra material to support the gear and make it handle a rough landing. And last but not least, you have to have a rudder on a plane with gear, so on this particular design it took a pull pull on the nose and a separate servo for the rudder!!! Dang! That's at least a 1/2 pound, more like 3/4 pounds!
Old Jan 03, 2009, 11:10 PM
Faster!
Joined Oct 2004
1,141 Posts
Construction photos, more to come...
Old Jan 04, 2009, 10:21 AM
Faster!
Joined Oct 2004
1,141 Posts
More construction photos:
Old Jan 04, 2009, 10:26 AM
Faster!
Joined Oct 2004
1,141 Posts
Some more photos of the finished product. I will be adding some more stripes to the top of the wing, and perhaps a cool logo on the tail. A Spatha is a type of sword, so i think that's what I'll put on the tail.
Old Jan 04, 2009, 12:15 PM
I really should be building...
UK
Joined Sep 2004
145 Posts
That is gorgeous!

I've had a plane on my mind for years now, and that is very nearly it! Its even got retracts, did you read my mind?

Fantastic build quality, your Dad is certainly a skilled craftsman. Could I be cheeky and ask for a pic from above to show the plan form, and a side view pic please?
Spyda is offline Find More Posts by Spyda
Old Jan 04, 2009, 07:05 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,607 Posts
Hi,

Nice job! It would be a real shame not to have plans available for this. I hope you and your dad change your mind

Looking forward to seeing your bird fly at AEF.

Best Reagards, Mickydee
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Jan 04, 2009, 09:15 PM
Faster!
Joined Oct 2004
1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyda
Could I be cheeky and ask for a pic from above to show the plan form, and a side view pic please?
No problem! It'll just take me a couple days to get it posted, the Spatha is across town at Dad's place. He's holding it so I won't fly it before AEF anymore... almost like he doesn't trust me with it... like maybe I'll fly it!
Old Jan 04, 2009, 09:16 PM
Faster!
Joined Oct 2004
1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee
Hi,

Nice job! It would be a real shame not to have plans available for this. I hope you and your dad change your mind

Looking forward to seeing your bird fly at AEF.

Best Reagards, Mickydee
We'll see you there!!
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:24 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,607 Posts
Hi Joshua,

Good speaking with you at AEF, (we spoke as I was getting ready to fly my Balsa USA Enforcer EDF.)

I just wanted to say your Spatha was the most impressive 70 MM EDF that I have ever seen fly. Speed, verticle, duration, all in one package. I really hope your dad changes his mind about plans, drawings.

Could you post a drawing of the airfoil? My dad just might take up your suggestion and try scratching one.

Thanks! Mickydee
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee