HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2011, 05:56 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Wayne,

I am very sorry to say that I didn't make it. It was a required work weekend. I couldn't get out of it.
Like they say in Sports, there's always next year.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:24 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
You've been warmer and dryer than Atlanta for the past few days..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:37 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Andy,

Really ??? IT's 85 now and no rain for days on end. It's going to be 90 on Sunday. Not good. I'm inside keeping cool.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:39 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/30068

From Sep 4, highs have been: 82F, 76F, 75F, 68F, and 74F. Next few days: 80F, 85F, 84F, 80F..

We are NOT complaining!!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Sep 10, 2011, 06:01 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Andy,

WOW, those temps are great for your part of the country. We are breaking records here for Sept. 88 for today and 92 for tomorrow. Also the record for the most day's in a row over 80 in Sept. I'll be flying at dawn.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:34 AM
User
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,575 Posts
Hey Bob,

Would you please do me a favor and send some of that warmer air down here? The grapes aren't ripening fast enough!! I sure hope that you are getting in as much flying as possible with all the great weather you are having?!
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Sep 10, 2011, 02:12 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
HI Rob,

Yes I am. It's not going to last past Wed of this coming week. Sorry about the grapes.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:12 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Guys,

Were only 2 weeks out from the offical start of the 44 weeks of rain. We're going to get a preview this weekend. See radar. I better start looking for that glue bottle.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:59 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Morning Guys,

Fall got here on Fri, but here in Seattle, one lost Summer day managed to find it's way here today. See chart. It's only a one day event. Tomorrow it's going to be 65, raining and windy. I better get the batterys charging.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2011, 02:50 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,398 Posts
So a few weeks ago I went out flying with a fellow glider guider here in Rochester. The day was perfect and conditions for lift couldn't be better. I decided to take out the Pulsar because I had not had it out in a while and I wanted to work on my flap to elevator settings and tweak my dual rates. You know, important stuff. Mark was in the air first with his new 2.5 meter Pulsar, wow what a plane. It was only half a meter longer but it really made mine look tiny. I did my usual preflight checks, did a couple of hand throws, the second one was 125 yards , and declared it good to go.

Launch 1, I wanted to play it safe so I took it up to about 400 feet and started to play with the flaps. I would throw the flaps, observe the plane's pitch, make an adjustment to the radio and then do it again. I was getting close but didn't have it perfect and decided to land. Oh it looked nice. I fiddled with a couple of things and launched it again. I was trying some 2S batteries and the launches were OK but not the rocket ship launches that come with a 3S battery.

Launch 2, This launch I found some lift as soon as I shut down the motor. The Pulsar climbed very nicely and I called out to Mark to come over and enjoy the ride. He did and soon both of us were climbing out in this really nice thermal. The higher I went the faster it climbed and soon I realized that the Pulsar was getting small really fast, too fast. So I deployed full flaps and waited for it to start to get bigger but it didn't, it just kept getting smaller. Now I'm getting nervous, I like the Pulsar but it has a very thin wing and it has a narrower cord than my Riser so it can be harder to see at altitude. It was around this same time that I can recall Mark proclaiming that he had never seen lift like this before and, frankly, neither had I. And then it happened, the Pulsar blinked out of sight. I gave it a second, didn't see it then stuck the right stick into the lower corner, just like I had read about here on RCGroups. I immediately reacquired the plane and watched it slowly spin down from the hungry plane eating thermal. My quick thinking and calm state of mind had denied the thermal its prize.

But this thermal was not finished, although I was slowly making my back to the ground Mark was still up and now the hungry thermal placed its sights on Mark's new plane. He deployed his flaps and started to point the nose of his plane down but he was also having trouble escaping the powerful rising air. He would quickly build up speed only to have to level out and immediately start climbing again. Flaps were not going to be enough to escape this monster but it seemed to take up the entire sky so flying out of it was not going to be easy either. By now I had dropped a couple of hundred feet, was feeling much better and was getting ready to stop the big spin and pull back the flaps. The thermal sensed this and decided that I should not be allowed to leave its grasp for so small a price. At around 400 feet I noticed something odd with my Pulsar, something was not right. It took a second for me to realize what had happened but it was clear that part of my wing was no longer attached to the plane and was fluttering away, while the Pulsar continued its spin towards the ground. There was very little I could do at this point. I redeployed flaps and activated crow in an attempt to slow its descent. I said something like "Uh oh" and Mark saw its spin and wanted to help but he was still battling the thermal for his own plane.

The fuselage came to rest in the middle of a very big soybean field and the separated wing floated down into the same field but further away. I did my best to mark the direction of the wreckage with my transmitter antenna. Mark was able to recover his Pulsar and get it back safely to the field but that thermal just didn't want to let go. Now the search was on. Not to bore you with the gory search details but suffice it to say you never want to have to walk a bean field in shorts. Although they look nice and soft and fuzzy they are not. After about an hour and a half of searching Mark located the fuselage. The other wing half was not located that day. I went back about 5 days later and was able to find it after about 45 minutes of walking the rows.

So now I get to decide whether or not to scrap it or try to repair, rebuild it. Amazingly there was no damage other than where the wing broke and the servo wire was pulled through the wing. Fuselage is fine, tail is fine and outer wing panels are fine. For now the Pulsar is back in its case and will wait there until I finish the Raven build, then I will decide what to do with it. Here are a couple of pictures of the recovery effort taken by Mark.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Oct 07, 2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:33 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Wayne,

Holy Crap Batman !!!!!!!!! I don't know how you found anything in that field. I can't imagine the thermal you were in. Can you just buy a new wing ???

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:08 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,918 Posts
Wayne, that sounds like an experience I had with the first prototype of the electric Chrysalis 2-meter.

I'd been trying to prove a point that dynamic stability was at least, if not more, important than static stability. I'd mounted the 7S RC2000 Nicad motor battery deliberately too far aft, so that the C/G was about 3/8" behind the aft limit, making the plane's static pitch stability slightly divergent. I got it about 50 ft. in the air, trimmed it out, then handed the transmitter to a first-time beginner. With nothing more than verbal coaching from me, she did fine for quite a while (maybe ten minutes or so), just motoring up and down the field on part throttle. Then, out over the cornfield beyond the end of the runway, she got her rights and lefts mixed up and turned the wrong way. The turn took the plane out of sight behind a tree, and she was no longer able to correct for the instability. The plane dove into the fully-grown 8-10 ft. tall corn.

Corn is about like a forest of broadswords made from coarse sandpaper. About half a dozen of us tried looking for it, got carved up pretty badly, gave up that night. I came back the next day with long pants, some arm-length fingerless "gloves" I made from some long cotton socks, a ski mask and my cowboy hat (this was in August, with the usual high heat and higher humidity), and started walking (more like wrestling through) the rows.

A week and a half, and three severe thunderstorms later, I finally found it.

I'm sure you've heard how crashing in water is worse than crashing on concrete. Well, corn is more similar to water in that regard. The wing was pretty much confetti everywhere outboard of about 6" of the fuselage, and the fuselage wasn't much better. The motor, a Goldberg "Turbo 550" (Speed 600 can motor) would still turn, but with some squeaking. Miraculously the battery and radio equipment were still usable (nicads don't mind being deep-discharged). OTOH, some of the balsa was starting to mold.

The only thing that was still truly airworthy was an experimental piece I'd installed a while before - a rudder hinge (this was the conventional-tailed version) made from Blenderm, just to see if that tape was adequate for something as big as a 2-meter. The Blenderm hinge was as good as the day I'd put it on.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:29 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,398 Posts
Hi Bob,

Purchasing a new wing is not really an option because they changed how the new ones mount. I am going to think about it for a while but may try my hand at scratch building a new center section. We'll see. Will finish the Raven first.

Don,

Yep, corn is worse. I've walked through both. At least the beans stayed below mid chest, corn attacks the entire body, head to toes. And if that were not bad enough, finding things in corn is much harder because you cannot see anything, the corn is so tall any possible reference points are obscured from sight. It is like a jungle and you can only really see about 3 rows, maybe 4. I also lucked out in that the weather was nice in between the time it crashed and the time I found it so no weather damage.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Oct 08, 2011, 06:12 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
Corn is about like a forest of broadswords made from coarse sandpaper.
That is about the best description of high corn I've heard.

Yeah, been there, done that. Freeflights, but same-same.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Oct 08, 2011, 07:06 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
Got my new blue plaid shirts at last the wife found them for 10 bucks each at a yard sale and they were still in the packageing!
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1