HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2011, 02:16 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Thanks guys, actually thinking of doing another trip out there on friday this week. I've got some work to do in Twizel which is not far away. Grant, there are some fish, not that many though because the lake is cloudy with rock flour - there are a couple of glaciers at the head of the lake. There are some streams and a river that feed into it, fishing is supposed to be ok around those.
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2011, 08:51 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Nick-do you want a piece of the shirt?
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old May 12, 2011, 05:41 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Sure do, thanks. PMed my address.
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Old May 18, 2011, 08:44 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
For those waiting for a bit of shirt I'll be getting to the post office soon,work has been bussy and I don't get out till they close.
Old May 28, 2011, 08:52 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
the new shirt works! gave a guys mustang a toss this morning and in spite of too much throw and an aft c/g no crash,there are however some grass stains on the prop from a close recovery after the landing aproach turned into a stall/spin test!
Old May 28, 2011, 09:36 AM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Nice job Nick. Yes, the shirt does work. I had a piece of it in my Riser 112 on the Maiden. It flew great.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2011, 07:34 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
How come Nick gets the ataboy when scottie was testing his new shirt?
Old Jun 05, 2011, 09:33 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Just came back from flying the miss2 and plan to head out with the riser 100 later to take advantage of a low wind day.A lot of Bob's rain got shipped here so the field is still wet.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 10:18 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Hi everyone, I had some time today to get out and fly. It was a super day here in Minnesota and I put out the word to some other thermal flyers and we all met at a local field for a couple of hours of fun. About 10 guy showed up and I had the pleasure of giving one of them a ready to fly Sig Riser, not mine of course. Its a long story but suffice it to say that Ray and I worked together to get a new thermal pilot a plane and radio. it need a little repair and I was able to get it flight worthy without too much work. We maidened the plane today and it flew very nicely. I spent about an hour with him on a buddy box going over the basics. He is a little apprehensive at the moment but which of wasn't with our very first plane. He had a very big smile on his face all day.

So after working with him for I finally got around to getting out my Riser. It was in fine looking condition and after the standard hand toss to make certain nothing had changed I walked up to the hi-start and let her rip. Wouldn't you know the first flight I found some lift. I worked it a little and soon found myself rising nicely. After about 5 minutes I was getting about as high as I had ever been and I stated I wanted to try for my 15 minute LSF level 2 flight. I had a stopwatch running, although I had started it about 30 seconds into the flight. Marty had been acting as my spotter from the start so I just let the Riser rise. After that I didn't look back down at the time so as not to jinx the flight.

So now the Riser is getting way up there. My plane has transparent yellow wings with a 4 or 5 inch wide dark blue stripe on one wing to help with orientation and I could no longer make out the stripe. Nothing but glowing yellow monokote on a cloudless blue sky. It finally got so high that everyone was getting nervous and I couldn't make out the tail anymore and it was still climbing and drifting behind me now. A few guys asked me if my name was in it so I would be able to get it back so, taking the hint, I popped the spoilers about half way and pointed her straight upwind. After about a minute I could start to make out the tail again but still could not make out the wing stripe. I closed the spoilers and waited to see what would happen. Back up it went. At least now it was far enough back upwind that I did not have to strain my neck looking straight up. Well you know what they say, where there is big lift there is big sink and this flight was no exception. Eventually the Riser started to descend, at first I was easily able to make out the tail, then I could see the wing stripe and then it was time to land.

I had my LSF landing tape out and decided that I would go for a level 2 landing, I need 5 more. I took a little ribbing from a couple of the guys stating that I was asking for too much, but I went for it anyway. My initial approach was a little too high but the spoilers helped there and before you could say "I can't believe it" the Riser was sitting on the ground 1/2 a meter from the pin. I looked down at my stopwatch and it read 18:57. Wow, what a first flight. This was without a doubt the highest and longest I have ever flown the Riser. Towards the end of my flight every one else was down and watching to see what the time would be. Congratulations were made, pictures were taken and then we all went back to finding that next big thermal. Man I love this hobby.

Wayne

PS When I get some of the pictures I will post em here. I did not have a camera with me but some of the other guys did.
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jun 06, 2011, 01:28 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,682 Posts
Meee two!
I had a gas! what a cutie this one is! check the blog!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:10 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
WOW Wayne, congratulations on a great flight. Your having fun now !!! We had a great day here too, but I was in the factory.

Johnny, love the photo.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:48 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,471 Posts
We had a great morning yesterday! I only got one flight in with my E-Ava, but it was great 22 seconds to 200M, and then kicking it in my lawn chair for 24 min.

Al
alstrahm is online now Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:53 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,682 Posts
What flight Al! thanks guys! I'm feelin' very rich today!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:28 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Nice flight there Al. Have you talked Mr. Brady into letting you be an early build/tester on the Oculus yet?

Thanks Bob, It really was a fun flight. I do believe I reached 2M speck height. I was afraid to take my eyes off of it. I only had three launches on my plane all afternoon. I had just as much fun helping Marty with his new plane. Marty is the newest flyer in our merry little band of thermal junkies. He just needs a little stick time to get comfortable.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:57 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,471 Posts
Wayne, I noticed you have a merry group of flyers there in Rochester!Great job. On my flight I hit 403 MThat 3.2m Ava was a speck Yeah, Merrill and I have some stuff going on with the Oculus. I got some stick time on it last month in Visalia, grabbed the TX at 200 ft and specked it out. He is still doing some refining, I am working on an E conversion for it to open it up to ALES comps and broaden his market. It looks like I will get one of the first kits before the year is over Now I just need to figure out to do it in blue, with some plaid tape

Al
alstrahm is online now Find More Posts by alstrahm