SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:33 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,630 Posts
Nick!
The last I remember, is that you were setting up a proper shop,survived some quake scenario, and idunno whatabout the bird sequences! I'm finding that yes- I am a programmer- and if you fellas can come up with a function for a 5X12 Gantry mill, I would be very happy!- other than long drill patterns! heh heh!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2011, 03:28 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,630 Posts
Replaced my PRAM Battery, so I'm back in service with "old" equipment, thanks for backing me up anyway Scottie! I'm going OK!-- No computer = lots of C details!
Johnny
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:14 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Glad you are up and running,haven't had time to give a call-weekend maybe.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:30 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,630 Posts
up and running!

Ohhhhhh Yeahhhhhhh-- I'm up--- and running- with the big dogs now!
and I haven't had a glitch- yet!
and then when I get done goofin'- I'll get around to some C time- maybe!
Johnny
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:15 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Wow capt,I just looked at the miss stick over in your blog and she looks good as all get out!
Old Apr 29, 2011, 07:29 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
We need a new division of the B P S as I think I've caught old timer sicknes.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 06:08 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,630 Posts
Nah- no sickness- just too busy to talk about the important factors of life! I get to do some electrical and sensor programming learning too!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2011, 08:41 PM
OK,so what's the speed of dark
Glenwood,GA
Joined Aug 2006
1,071 Posts
Greetings one and all. I'm back again. For some reason this site will NOT send me an e-mail when someone does a post. Oh well, guess I'll just have to check back in every day to see what everyone is doing.

I almost lost my Chrysalis today from of all things a bad battery. It started acting really strange and I couldn't figure out what it was doing, so I decided to land. On the way down it finally just went into a left turn and stayed there until the ground got in the way. Not a bad landing really and didn't hurt anything, just had to walk a ways to get it back. Found out that a cell went out on my 3S LiPo and the radio didn't like it. Even though I checked them all before I left home, I didn't catch the cell going on me. It looked OK when I checked it, but it was my oldest battery and had a slight dent in the corner of it. I have been flying that battery for over a year with that dent, so I didn't think it would hurt anything. Guess I better check them better from now on.

I put a new battery in it and went back up again to see if I could find some lift and believe it or not, I actually found some. Normally I find a lot of down, but this time I found some up and went for a nice ride. I got out of it at almost 2200ft and started looking for more and found another one before I got half way down. That one I couldn't miss as the glider started getting small FAST. I bailed out again around 2200ft and started letting it come down more or less slowly and would you believe I found another one. My neck started hurting around the 45 min mark, so I brought it down and landed for a rest. I figured I would go back up again and catch another riser after a break. My normal luck hit again and couldn't find much lift after that and I figured that was it for the day. After taking another break I installed my last battery and went up again. This time I found one, but it seems that that one was the only one I could find, so it was a little short on that flight.

I think my biggest problem is telling if it is really in lift. Some times it signals it great and other times I can't tell I was in lift until I get home and find that it really was going up and I missed that. I think I need more time flying just so I can see the difference in flight when it is in lift. I have an Eagle Tree recorder that tells me what it did during the flight, but that isn't any good because it only tells me after the fact. I think I need one that will tell me when it sees lift right then and not at the end of the day. The recorder is nice though. A friend of mine got one and loves it, so I think I will try one and see if I can get any better at flying gliders.

rabidruel1; I got that sickness a while back and am building some oldies myself. I almost have my Buzzard Bombshell finished and have a Super Buccaneer that I just started. I love building those old time models. There are very few kits out for them, but there are a few short kits and a whole world of plans to build from. I am also thinking of building a Super Sinbad one of these days. I just love the looks of that glider and I don't think anyone has ever designed a glider that looks as good. It may not fly as good as a lot of the newer ones, but flight time isn't everything. You gotta have that cool factor too. Now, if Don would hurry up and get that 3M Chrysalis out I can fly one big enough to see higher then 2200ft. That 2M looks REALLY small at that height.

Take care everyone and have a great day.

Ed
mred3 is offline Find More Posts by mred3
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:10 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,630 Posts
Hi Ed!
Glad to hear of an OK Flying day! one of the biggest small things to watch for in thermaling, is a waggle on the wingtip. It seems mostly generally kinda sorta, that the thermal will push the bird out of itself. from there, a fella just needs to figure which way it's going! Kinda like me tryin' to catch a chicken like in the Rocky movie!
Ohh- I get it -- duh- THAT kind of Oldie fever! still ain't a sickness! it's a 'wellness'!
you fellas mean something like these?
Johnny
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2011, 06:04 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Ed-I'm going to be building a sinbad at 42" span scaled from the plans for the super.The thread is over in the oldtimer section,and some one even posted a preview of the RCM plan for the sinbad supreame and the plans can still be had!At 90+" that one would be a blast.Capt I got to start work now but I'll look the Zaic stuff over later.scottie
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:51 PM
Glenwood,GA
Joined Aug 2006
1,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canardly View Post
Hi Ed!
Glad to hear of an OK Flying day! one of the biggest small things to watch for in thermaling, is a waggle on the wingtip. It seems mostly generally kinda sorta, that the thermal will push the bird out of itself. from there, a fella just needs to figure which way it's going! Kinda like me tryin' to catch a chicken like in the Rocky movie!
Ohh- I get it -- duh- THAT kind of Oldie fever! still ain't a sickness! it's a 'wellness'!
you fellas mean something like these?
Johnny
I do watch for that wing to go up and then turn into it and start trying to find the thermal. I also tried turning away from it and coming back, but either way is OK I guess. My problem is that it is very hard to tell the difference between the wing hitting a thermal and hitting turbulence. Either will make the wing wag and since the wind is normally blowing some at least, the trees give off turbulence and a rolling one at that, so the glider hitting that sort of acts like the glider hitting a thermal.

One thing I always keep an eye out for is the buzzards hitching a ride in a thermal since they never seem to make a mistake. I have had several occasions where they came over to check out this strange bird that joined them in the thermal and fly around with me for awhile looking me over. Never had a buzzard attack my plane, but did have a couple others try it.

Most of the thermals around here this time of year are a little on the weak side, but every once in awhile they seem to cut loose with a boomer and then it is fun watching the elevator ride. Problem is, I can't tell where they are or when they will hit. I have the DVD with David Hobby telling how to find and rind thermals, but even then it is up to me to find them and they don't always show up like he says in the DVD. I have tired the streamer trick and use a streamer on my transmitter, but it helps very little. Guess I need more streamers on my field.

One thing I would dearly love is a flying field like everyone else in the world seems to have. Mine is a small field with trees all around and a couple of houses on it to boot. None of the wide open spaces like I see everyone else flying in. I don't think I even have room for a hi-start setup there.

Ed
Old Apr 30, 2011, 05:36 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
If you are flying e power try the free flight modler trick-get the bird up a ways and trim for holding hight in about a 200 yard circle,let the thing cruise around and watch the wings for a bump one way or the other then turn into the lift.I use this bit on my miss2 old timer looking bird and it seems to work.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:09 PM
Glenwood,GA
Joined Aug 2006
1,071 Posts
That's pretty much what I do now. I trim it for a gradual turn and let it go until it gets to far down wind and then bring it back. I also trim it in the thermal and just use the stick for fine adjustments. The problem still is telling the difference between a thermal and turbulence when the wing dips or gets thrown off the normal glide path. Most of the time I do turn into the area I think is a thermal, but most of the time it is just turbulence and I just get bounced around some more. I also tried going back and forth looking for thermals and that works pretty good too, but I still have a hard time telling the difference between thermals and turbulence. To me they both look the same.........

Ed
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:23 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,630 Posts
That's no fooling Ed! today we had a get together for the MRCSS, and after the rain clouds disappeared, enough for dry flights, there was one thermal which carried a 19 oz. Talon (new design) for about 1.5 minutes from a hand launch, the highstart (very short) came out, and then the tree rotors showed up- couldn't tell the difference except the sink rate - all this within a 100 ft circle- less than 100 ft tall so it was easy to view the turb compared to (not) lift!
if it wasn't so cold during these burbles, I would have viewed more- I'm looking forward to this years challenge, as we are now surrounded with 3 tree lines! - I love that particular challenge!
Johnny
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2011, 01:53 AM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Absolutely nothing to do with modelling, but I said goodbye to the summer this weekend camping overnight by the Lake Pukaki. I took along a camera (Canon 300DSLR) to try out, I'm thinking of buying it from my boss, if he'll give me a good price that is. It struggled with autofocus in low light, should have used manual I guess. Still got some ok shots, and Jayda had a blast.
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser