Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:56 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,588 Posts
I'm Pooped!

My Goodness!
Keep it up Palo!
I have a few minutes in between job interviews- yes- full interviews! and awaiting results for a 6th communication, and possibly 5th interview this week!
have traveled as far as 50 miles (today) and looking at 1/2 that in (moments)
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:41 AM
Laplace.La.
Joined Mar 2007
479 Posts
......Thought you guys would be interested in my toys,my beautiful Zaic Floater G-110,my large Astro telescopes,my Easy Glider and my 1955 Porsche RS 550 Spyder.

Thanks
Condor-60
condor-60 is offline Find More Posts by condor-60
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:54 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,465 Posts
Hi Condor,

Thanks for the pictures. You gotta like everything in them, but tell me this, how do you get the Ziac Floater G-110 into that little car?

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:52 AM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,588 Posts
Very carefully and with multiple panels!
I vote yes, we give Condor an "honorable" membership, as he tried kitting the G110- it was this one yes? anyway, great attempt! sorry there wasn't much interest- we have tough competition with "extruded dollar models"!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2011, 03:12 PM
Laplace.La.
Joined Mar 2007
479 Posts
....Thats true Captain it was a vain attempt to bring back an ole classic from Zaic. I was met with a lot of arrogance from the "WOODY" group because I refused to call it a woody and kept referring to it as a classic.

Thanks
Condor-60
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:56 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Zaic drew and flew what have become classics and I think that is the term that should be used,if he had had cf,glass and foam to work with they would still be classics.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:10 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidrue1 View Post
Zaic drew and flew what have become classics and I think that is the term that should be used,if he had had cf,glass and foam to work with they would still be classics.
An interesting point to ponder. Being a "leading edge" type, if Zaic had had CF, fiberglass and foam to work with and felt it was readily available to American modelers in the 30s and 40s, I believe he would have used them. (Probably to their best advantage!)

P'raps controversy could be avoided by, instead of referring to them as "classics" or "woodies," they are simply distinguished as "Zaic's!"

(I got the G-110 plans from Condor. Building got shunted aside by some health problems, but it's still close to the top of my "next build" list!)

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:29 AM
Laplace.La.
Joined Mar 2007
479 Posts
............Nightowl build it. Its a fantastic flying sailplane.When I built mine in the 70's it was beating all the sailplanes of that era. It failed to gain national
recognition because ZAIC did not have the funds to promote it. The Floater would remain in the air while others were looking for places to land. Frank Zaic was a genious when it came to designing sailplanes and the Floater G-110 was his first RC glider. It will out fly all the current (todays) models without any hassel.It hangs in the air like the models with the new airfoils.
Build it,fly it and enjoy.It desrves to be called a classic for that is exactly what it is.

Condor-60
Classics Forever.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:39 AM
Laplace.La.
Joined Mar 2007
479 Posts
....Rabidrue1 thanks for supporting me as I had no one that would come to my defense in the early stages of bringing this glider back. I spent lots of money to bring it back in kit form but I think those in the woody group was afraid I would take money away from the sacred cow. Anyway they caused me to give up a project that would have had a benefit to us all. I made no money on the kits that I did get sold but I gained a lot of satisfaction. It would be great if you posted what you said in the woody group as it would show I am not the only one that thinks Frank Zaics designs were classics. If it was not for Zaic and his studys in model sailane design we may not be enjoying what we enjoy so much today.He is certainly the grandfather of it all.

Thanks
Condor-60
Classics Forever
Last edited by condor-60; Mar 26, 2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:12 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,588 Posts
AND You still have all the data! That will always maintain any cost offsets!- hopefully!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:31 PM
Laplace.La.
Joined Mar 2007
479 Posts
.....Captain I just might put my remaining fuselage kits on Ebay. I feel someone around this ole world might like a Frank Zaic Pod and Boom fuselage. Its made from Ply and Spruce and its extremely strong. Its probably the best thoght out design of all of Zaics fuselages.

Condor-60
Classics Forever
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:33 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,588 Posts
I wonder if it could fly "backwards"!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:33 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Okay Condor-60, very nice sailplanes, Bob in Seattle will truly enjoy the telescopes, but I must commend you on your taste in fine German engineering! That Porsche looks fabulous, and must be a dream to drive.

Thanks for posting!
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Mar 27, 2011, 01:16 PM
Laplace.La.
Joined Mar 2007
479 Posts
....robh it is a dream to drive. The engine is a AirTechnology engine built by Jake Raby.
The engine has been dyno tested and blueprinted and rated at 180-H.P. It has an extreme amount of torque for car that only weighs 1200 lbs. Jake Raaby is known for his
air cooled engines and builds many for the Sheiks in Saudi Arabia so they can play in their dune buggys. I once had a little fellow pull up next to me in a Corvette at a red light here in my home town. He started gunning his engine like he wanted to challenge me. I slipped the Spyder into nuetral and gunned it and the little guy just put his head down as he realized he didn't want any part of it. This is the exact car James Dean was killed in in the mid 50's. Thanks for liking it for is a dream come true for me.

Condor-60
Classics Forever
Old Mar 27, 2011, 01:19 PM
Laplace.La.
Joined Mar 2007
479 Posts
.....Captain in your hands you can make anything fly backwards.

Condor-60
Classics Forever