HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2010, 01:06 AM
tender
Europe - Slovakia
Joined Oct 2004
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liukku View Post
Hello Palo, I will try to visit you this year...and a big Congratulations to the Olympic gold medal in biathlon by Kuzmina. /Ville
We will be pleased if you come to Holic competitions. And about the Kuzmina - thanks for congratulation
tender is offline Find More Posts by tender
Last edited by tender; Feb 14, 2010 at 02:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2010, 05:29 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2009
258 Posts
We hope it is not gonna be the last gold for Slovakia - we cross fingers for Sweden, England and USA too.
Marko Gala is offline Find More Posts by Marko Gala
Old Feb 25, 2010, 01:02 PM
tender
Europe - Slovakia
Joined Oct 2004
654 Posts
message for President of Blue Plaid Squadron

Hallo Bob,
I think, you will be delighted with following video - it is direct for Chedar funs:

Nolan's Cheddar (1 min 29 sec)

Palo
tender is offline Find More Posts by tender
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:28 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Palo,

Now that is a strong mouse !!! See what happens when you eat the right cheese !!!

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2010, 04:10 AM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
Marko, you cross your fingers for everyone?
We too have our one Gold......Amy Williams.
You can have the rest now!!!
flight999 is offline Find More Posts by flight999
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:12 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,482 Posts
Repair update

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to stop in here and say hi to everyone and give you all an update on my projects. Probably the most exciting news is that the badly damaged Pulsar wing has been seen in one piece. This is the first time it has been in one piece in a year and a half. Although not completely finished it is structurally sound and straight. I need to add a couple of carbon reinforcement pieces, add the covering and secure the flap servo, thats it. I am waiting for a nice warm day to repaint the fuselage and it will be ready for some trim flights. I am very excited. I am ordering a new lipo for it, a 2s 2100. I like the option of having a lighter battery for those really calm days and then i will have the 3s 2100 for the windier days. I will keep you all posted as the remaiden date arrives.

Next project, repair the Riser. My Riser 2M has faithfully served me through my first two seasons of soaring. It, being my first plane, took its fair share of abuse in those less than perfect landings and the occasional low level stall. So I decided to make the necessary repairs to bring it back up to tip top shape. The wing got some new covering and a little dent and crack repair. The fuselage was in pretty good condition with the exception of a dent in the nose. I decided to leave the dent in recognition of the journey that brought me to this point in time. Having a better understanding of wings and keeping them straight, I believe the Riser will fly better than ever. I decided to add a little sparkle to it this time. See the pictures below.

As always I have more little projects in the works and a couple bigger ones in the wings. (I couldn't resist that little pun) All I will say is that I have taken a real liking to gull wing planes and most of the gull designs are very large, scale planes that are not in my future. But, a Gull Riser might be. As Bob is fond of saying, stay tuned.....

I hope you are all either flying or close to it.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Mar 24, 2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Mar 25, 2010, 08:12 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Hey Wayne,

That's one straight looking Pulsar wing! Nice work on the repair! Seeing how well you've done putting her back together kind of makes me think that I should have done the same with mine after her run through the grapevine trellis wires at high speed. On second thought, the cheese-cutter effect on the wing by the wires didn't leave nearly as much material to work with. I wish it did, because seeing your repair is inspirational!

Please let us know when the (re) maiden happen?

Cheers,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:02 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,482 Posts
Thanks Rob, I actually fabricated a jig to hold the wing while the spar and d-box epoxy setup. I had a client of mine give me some CNC cut pieces of Corian counter top material to make the jig from. It was nice to know that the edges were perfectly straight. Then I clamped the jig to a hunk of granite which ensured straightness in the horizontal plane. I was able to control the straightness of the horizontal and vertical components of the wing along with twist. It worked out well. I have a few pictures of the process that I will try to get posted here in a few days.

The weather forecast is for mid 60's starting next week so I should be able to get the fuselage painted. Then I can remount the motor and electronics. Baby steps I know but it is getting done.

Wayne
Old Mar 25, 2010, 07:57 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Wayne,

Like Rob said, fantastic work on your part. I too love Sky Shine. The Blue Plaid Squadron logo looks great. Be sure to get photos or a video for us at the re-maiden. I'm staying tuned !!!

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2010, 07:00 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,482 Posts
Pulsar update

So we had a nice day up here in Minnesota, warm enough to paint the Pulsar fuselage. Now is the moment to see how well the prep work was done. I had a really hard time selecting the paint. Don't ask me why but I flip flopped between white, pearl, metallic red and a ton more. I finally settled on white. I decided to use an epoxy paint, I know it will add additional weight but I believe the added durability will be worth it. Besides I am going to move down to a 2S battery for this plane so I have some wiggle room.

The end result is in the picture below. When I started the empty pod and boom, I left the tail servo in, weighed 70.4 grams. After the repair, filler, sanding and paint, I am at 89.6 grams. So I added 19.2 grams in the process. Most of that was in the paint. Is that a reasonable amount of weight given the repair? Who knows? I can compensate for that by using a different battery and I have a little more "ballast" for those windy days. Bottom line, it will still fly great. Here is a before and after picture.

Now on to finish the wing. I have a few more little details and then covering and remounting the electronics. I am hoping to have it ready to go for the May electric postal contest here in the electric forum. Cross your fingers for me.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Apr 05, 2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 07:10 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
VERY nice work Wayne.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2010, 09:21 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Ditto..
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:31 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,482 Posts
First flight of the year

Hello everyone, today was a great day. Sunny, warm, light wind. I worked out a deal with the boss to get out of some of the honey do tasks and took out the Riser to see how well it would fly after the winter tune up. I decided to try one of my new fields to see how well it would work for the year. Bottom line on the new field is that I will not use it again for hi-start launches, too many things to snag the line.

But on to the important stuff. The plane was ready to go but I always like to do a hand throw prior to hooking it up to the hi-start. The hand launch went without any issues. It flew straight and level. So I gathered up the plane, hooked it on to the hi-start and let her go. Now there are few things more graceful than a nice hi-start launch and this was one of them. Straight up the line with little correction needed and slipped right off at the end. I was using my small field setup, and not at full strength, so I would say I launched to 200' or so. Once up I realized that my launch direction would need to be shifted a little but the Riser flew smoothly and without incident.

So I shifted the hi-start and let her at it again. I just knew there were thermals around because the wind was very shifty and occasionally calm. Second flight was just shy of 5 minutes. Everything seemed good. No trim adjustments needed and the control throws felt good.

Time to launch full power and really look for some lift. My third flight did not disappoint. I launched right into lift. After coming off the line the chute just hung in the air. It took my brain a second to process that the gap between the chute and the plane was due to the plane shooting up and not the chute going down. 8 minutes and 27 seconds later I landed and that was only because I was concerned about drifting downwind across some big power lines.

The rest of the day was equally pleasant. There was lift all over the place and I spent about an hour and a half riding the thermals. I only had two flights under 4 minutes and one of those was straight into sink city and only lasted 1 minute 40 seconds. Probably The most interesting part of the day was when I was getting ready to leave. I had taken my plane and radio and set them on the moving blanket I use next to all my miscellaneous stuff. I like to use a blanket for plane setup and breakdown as dropped items are easier to find on it than in the grass. I had gone to roll up the hi-start and while returning to the plane I saw this plastic bag get picked up off the ground and start floating away. It drifted right over my plane. It was then that I saw, yes saw, the thermal drift over my plane. Any of you sailors out there know what I mean when I say see the wind. The surface of the water changes in gusty conditions allowing sailors to see wind changes before actually getting to them. Well the grass was doing the same thing. As the thermal drifted over my plane I watched as the tail of the plane actually lifted off of the ground and the plane stood straight on its nose for about 5 seconds before dropping back down to the ground. My jacket fluttered and the blanket also lifted up. They say that if you live long enough you will see everything, well add one more thing to my list. I was actually concerned, for a split second, that the plane was going to be entirely sucked off of the ground. I guess that was what they call a hat sucking thermal. Part of me wants to know what would have happened if I had still been flying and hit it and the other part of me is glad to have brought my plane back home.

I also tried to get a picture of the plane. I do not know how you guys photograph your planes while flying them. I did get one picture to turn out so here it is. I hope you all had a relaxing weekend and thanks for taking the time to read all of this.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Apr 11, 2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 12, 2010, 04:14 AM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,590 Posts
Wayne,

It may not be up to Bob standards, but it does show an effort on your part to enjoy the hobby. Looks like you had a great day with those clear skies. What more could you want?
I know, loaded question.........
Great pics. Thanks for posting them.
tinkrerpilot is offline Find More Posts by tinkrerpilot
Old Apr 12, 2010, 07:17 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Wayne,

That is an awsome story. I would have loved to seen that first hand. As for the in flight photography, I usually try to get a photographer to shoot them while I fly. If I have to shoot my own, I just fly by over head, and point the camera in that direction. I shoot 2 or 3 shots each pass. I make several passes and shoot 20 or 30 shots. I normally get 1 or 2 good shots. That's a raito of 10 to 1. Your shot is fine. Looks good to me. Get an old cheep tripod to take out to the field with you. Use your 10 second delay to get those hot pre flight shots.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member