HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2010, 04:44 PM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
Palo I love your success and your models. They have always flown beautifully. The one kit I had from you was a great success.

As this model is not being kitted(?) I would love to know what section you are using. How about a plan??

From your results I think the next step is to reduce the altitude to 150m. !!
flight999 is offline Find More Posts by flight999
Last edited by flight999; Jan 28, 2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Omission
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2010, 03:34 AM
tender
Europe - Slovakia
Joined Oct 2004
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight999 View Post
From your results I think the next step is to reduce the altitude to 150m. !!
Yes, Bruce, I have adjusted FXJ altitude for my models right 150 m... But for practice only. For competitions in FXJ 200 m is usual in the world
tender is offline Find More Posts by tender
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:18 PM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
In just about every competition class now
most top models are capable of flying for
the full maximum flight time allowed.

This is a new class and already you have
a model capable of flying 10 minutes without
thermal help from 200m. Others will follow.

If this is to be a thermal competition then the
permitted height will have to be reduced or we
will have another competition class depending
on landing points like F3J is at present. Is that
not why they are discussing the use of altitude
limiters in F3J?

That does not detract from your achievements,
or your beautiful models.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 03:01 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2009
264 Posts
The switch off altitude is set by Contest Director just before the contest, while he takes into account the meteo conditions - the stronger thermal activity we have, so smaller switching off altitude and engine run time he sets.
Marko Gala is offline Find More Posts by Marko Gala
Old Jan 29, 2010, 03:18 PM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
You mean you have to reset
all your altitude switches
before you can start the
contest ?

What happens when you
Become an FAI Class and
have 20 or more teams
of three fliers in each ?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 03:57 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2009
264 Posts
Yes, everybody has to reset them and , of course, there ´s time just before contest to try them in the air whether it works as it should ...

I think there´s gonna be for sure more than one laptop used at contest for setting the switches individually according to instructions of organizators...
The official checking of altitude switches lasts 10 seconds for 1 model and it is done through USB connector, while it is plugged in the PC and in the switch inside a model. By this mean, the officials gain the serial number of altitude switch for further assignment of results with concrete pilot.
Last edited by Marko Gala; Jan 31, 2010 at 05:27 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:18 AM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
HI Marko,

It sounds WAY to complicated for me to do !!! I think I'll just watch YOU do this instead. Have fun.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:57 PM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
No Bob. As it is it couldn't
be simpler. Plug in your
preset switch. Startup
and launch. That's it.

Of course after that you
have to start flying !
Old Jan 31, 2010, 01:05 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Oh I see. I thought because you need a lap top to set them, it was rather involved.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2010, 12:18 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2009
264 Posts
Fresh pictures...

I have got new photos of sash
Old Feb 03, 2010, 01:02 PM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
Lovely !!

Ailerons & flaps?
Old Feb 03, 2010, 06:49 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
WOW Marko, that is super cool looking. I bet it flies real nice too. Thanks for sharing the photos with us.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2010, 10:50 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,542 Posts
Hello everybody, I just thought I would take a moment and share with all of you one of the little side projects I have been working on. My major winter project has been to repair my damaged Pulsar. In working towards that end I was given a very badly damaged, identical wing from a fellow RCGroups member, 320pilot. I have posted a few pictures of that repair here in the coffee spot. My agreement with 320pilot was that I would use his broken wing like a donor in order to acquire the needed pieces to repair mine. Now I could tell throughout my dialogue with him that he was really hoping that his wing, the heart of his destroyed plane, may someday take to the air.

So while I have been working out some of the details of my Pulsar center section repair I took it upon my self to see if, in fact, his wing could ever, once again, break the bonds of gravity. Well let me tell you the initial prognosis was not good. As can be seen in the picture the wing was very badly damaged. The center section was to be sacrificed to my repair needs but the outer wing panels could possibly be used somehow, maybe.

So here is what I found after removing the covering from the outer wing panels. The LE was smashed on both tip panels, all the ribs in the tip panels, forward of the spar, were totally destroyed, the TE on both sections were broken, at least one third of the ribs were damaged in some way and the carbon caps on most of the ribs had been separated from the d-box and ribs themselves. On the positive side the spar was not damaged and the carbon d-box only had minor damage.

So I set out to try to make some lemonade out of this lemon. What I came up with is shown in the pictures below. I hand cut and shaped replacement ribs from new balsa, I cut out the destroyed LE pieces and scarfed in new ones, I replaced many of the carbon cap strips, set a new bevel on the wing panels and joined them to the bolt down section I cut out of the donor center section. It took all my emotional strength to run that wing through my table saw but it produced perfectly beveled and straight joints. Don't ask me to describe the sound as it would make most grown men cry. For those of you concerned about carbon dust from the saw, don't worry, my saw has a built in dust collection system and I wore a basic mask while cutting and sanding.

What I have after all of this is shown below. It measures 48 inches across, the root chord is 7.25 inches, is a AG25 airfoil, weighs 89g without covering or epoxy to hold it together. I am hoping to keep the finished, covered wing to under 3.5 oz (98g). I am going to mate this wing to a DLG style fuselage of my own design. Think of something between a small Chrysalis fuse and a pod and boom fuse. It will have an electric motor in the nose as the wing would never hold up to a DLG launch. My ultimate weight goal is under 8 oz, closer to 7 would be better. I have roughly calculated the wing area at 1.9 square feet, so the hopeful wing loading should be between 3.6 and 4.2 oz per square foot. Even if I go heavy it should still fly.

I have not decided on a power plant for it yet but I am leaning towards either the HCL 380 Bob put into his Topsky or a Motrolfly 2205. I am thinking a 2s lipo, 10amp speed control and two small servos for RE. I might try the new Airtronics 94802 servos.

I will keep you all up to date as I progress and I will definitely get some maiden launch pictures, for better or worse, when I maiden it but remember it is still cold here in Minnesota. So look for a report after it warms up a little and the ground thaws out.

Wayne - busily building in the frozen north.
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Feb 03, 2010 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Photo captions
Old Feb 04, 2010, 09:33 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Nice work there Wayne!!

Wow, it looks like you've got the hard part almost out of the way. Kind of makes me think that I should have tried repairing mine, however my fuse was almost unrecognizable. Keep rolling..., you will have her flying in no time!

Cheers, and thanks for posting the pics,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Feb 04, 2010, 10:18 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,542 Posts
Hi Rob, I hope the ground is finally drying out for you out there on CA. You had a lot of rain. This really turned out better than I expected. It was supposed to be a small side idea while I worked through some other repair issues on the Pulsar 2M center section. As I looked at it I thought, well I can fix this and I could repair that and before I knew it I had a potential wing. I will get it epoxied together and covered and then set it aside until after the Pulsar is finished. Besides I need some time to think of how I want the fuselage to look.

I do believe it will make a nice little flyer. Now it can be argued that the airfoil is not optimized for Reynolds number and the sweep is... blah blah blah. Bottom line is that it will fly and it will be fun.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence