HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2010, 05:31 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Not really, the darned foliage is in the way!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:04 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Really Andy ?? I think those regular tails look just great.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:12 PM
OK,so what's the speed of dark
Glenwood,GA
Joined Aug 2006
1,071 Posts
I would take either one. They all look GREEERRRRRRAAT....................

Ed
mred3 is offline Find More Posts by mred3
Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:36 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,500 Posts
Pulsar repair questions.

Hello all Blue Plaid Squadron members. This will be a semi long post so get your favorite beverage and settle in. As some of you already know, a while ago my 2005 Pulsar (standard tale of course ) was beaten out of the sky by gravity. I had absolutely no control of the plane and all I could do is watch as it piled into the ground. After going through all the regular stages of crash grief I began the repairs.

I have already done all the repairs to the fuselage, it was documented here on RCGroups. It is only awaiting some warmer weather so I can paint it. Now I have begun the the much more difficult wing repair. Basically the wing was completely broken in half almost dead center on the middle wing panel. (the Pulsar has a 3 part wing) There was very minimal damage to the outer wing panels and those were easily repaired.

If you look at the pictures below you can see the extent of the damage. So here is what I am planning to do and where I would like a second opinion. My plan is to take a d-box section from another wing and splice together my broken d-box from the inside. Laminating epoxy will be used for this task. At the same time I will epoxy the broken spar back together being very careful to make certain that it is straight. I will then use a scavenged section of carbon spar material and splice both of the carbon spar caps together again using epoxy. This approach will allow the wing spar and d-box to be as strong as it was originally. I will then take some carbon fiber cloth and make a two inch long patch to go over the face of the spar. I believe this should be a satisfactory repair for an electric launch plane.

I have already cut new ribs to replace the broken ones and I will reinforce them with carbon caps just like the origionals. I can then finish the repair by reinforcing th center section cap with new tow on the inside.

What I am looking for are thoughts on the d-box and main spar repair. Do you think they will be adequate. Now keep in mind I am not going to winch launch this plane, only e power launches. I have always valued the opinions of all of you so tell me what you think. I would also like to publicly thank 320pilot, from RCGroups, for generously letting me have his broken wing so that I may be able to fix mine. Thank you .

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Jan 13, 2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:47 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,500 Posts
Hi Tender,

Are you using solid or hollow rods for your wing spars? I am guessing that either the center or tip panels is hollow. Also what sixe rods are you using?

Wayne
Old Jan 14, 2010, 05:41 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Wayne,
the D-Box strength is not so much of an issue - what you propose is more than adequate. The spar, however, will need to be rebuilt with the caps wrapped together as on the original - and the only way to do that is to remove it from the D-Box. Well, I guess you could drill holes and wrap around that material as well.
Quite a challenge..
..a
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:37 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,500 Posts
Hi Andy,

I was hoping that the carbon across the face of the spar would be sufficient in replacing the need to re wrap the spar across the break. I have another idea that involves removing the d-box from the spar in the area of the break and then patching another piece onto it after the spar is repaired but it is much more involved. Lazy me.

Wayne
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:08 AM
tender
Europe - Slovakia
Joined Oct 2004
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Hi Tender,Are you using solid or hollow rods for your wing spars? I am guessing that either the center or tip panels is hollow. Also what sixe rods are you using ? Wayne
Hallo Wayne,
you is right... for end parts of the wings I use 700m long 10/9 mm CFK tubes.
For the middle part it is 2 x 800mm long and 12/11 mm CFK tubes.
Joiner for the middle parts tubes is 150 mm steel dia 4mm into 250 mm long CFK tube 6mm outer /4mm inner diameter... This joiner I put into 350 mm long CFK tube 10/8 mm... Into the gap between tubes I put Kevlar fibre treated by C.A. glue and all this I use as joiner for left and right side of the middle parts of the wings. It is a bit complicated , but strong

Regards
Palo
tender is offline Find More Posts by tender
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:22 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
I was hoping that the carbon across the face of the spar would be sufficient in replacing the need to re wrap the spar across the break. I have another idea that involves removing the d-box from the spar in the area of the break and then patching another piece onto it after the spar is repaired but it is much more involved. Lazy me.
Unfortunately, I think there is no other way to be sure it will be strong enough..
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:37 AM
tender
Europe - Slovakia
Joined Oct 2004
655 Posts
BPSq Slovakia - news

We have (both -Marko and me) almost finished the models for year 2010. Here is my (135 " wingspann, geared S-NEU 1506 motor and 4S A123) >>>
tender is offline Find More Posts by tender
Last edited by tender; Jan 20, 2010 at 01:39 PM. Reason: I add new picture from today
Old Jan 19, 2010, 08:55 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Wow Palo, that sure looks like a winner! Very nice, clean design, very large wing - at least large to me anyway. Please keep us informed as to your progress!

Cheers,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:21 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2009
261 Posts
Palo,
I would like to inform wide public that I have got feeling you are gonna be first in the air! Ill cross fingers for you during maiden flight... but its not fair because Im student without free time right now
Marko Gala is offline Find More Posts by Marko Gala
Old Jan 24, 2010, 06:26 PM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,590 Posts
Hello all Blue Plaid Squadron members. I believe we have a new optional color to add to the line up of the membership, optional of course. Can be used for Maiden and test flgihts
only, during regular flying season. Red Plaid to cover flight test operations and new models. See the photos.

I had the chance to test fly Rudderman98's big Merlyn on Saturday afternoon. First flight after some rudder mods to help make her turn right. Big airplane and alot of fun. It was one of my best days of flying in this hobby and not to be forgotten. Thanks guys.

Lyle
tinkrerpilot is offline Find More Posts by tinkrerpilot
Old Jan 24, 2010, 06:46 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
The fun just never ends in this hobby. Red plaid for test flights ??

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2010, 07:47 PM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,590 Posts
Yeah, that is what I was wearing for Perry's Merlyn flight on saturday.
Check it out down in the Thermal Forum. Need something for flight test. Sounded good.
tinkrerpilot is offline Find More Posts by tinkrerpilot