HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:02 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgomes View Post
I know it may put you over your budget, but I think you would be much better off in the long run getting a used DX7 or even 6i. In my opinion, a good reliable tx that one can count on is key to enjoying the hobby.

And, if you decide you want out of the hobby again, you shouldn't lose much on the resell.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Good advice, I wasn't paying attention to the trans, just the power gear. Skip the Dx6i, Dx7 is way better, but is a pita to setup and program IMHO. Although I only use mine occasionally on smaller foamies which I don't fly much anymore. I think if I just used it more the programming probably wouldn't seem like such a pita. But I do like the feel of it much better than I ever did my Dx6i.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:00 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,677 Posts
If a good, rely able tx is what you want then don't get a dx7! No enternal backup battery so if your goes dead, below 8v or something, then you've lost everything and it has to be sent back in to be reflashed. I've done it twice! Also with spektrum in general if a reciver gets under 6v under load it can and usually will brown out and you'll loose the bind.

Idk anything about the HK stuff but I've not heard of anything bad with futaba. I'm sure they have a cheap 2.4 4ch. Do a search in the radio gear forum.

All we can tell you here is you've sure lock the best plane with the perfect gear
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:15 PM
Joined Aug 2011
112 Posts
maybe a used eBay dx5e & ar500 spektrum is a better bet is a safer bet than the equivalent turnigy...
Turnigy invested a great deal in research on transmitters, and I know their lipos worked great!
Both are close enough to the same price, honestly, I liked the feel w/o expo and lots of extra stuff and i am only going to ever fly small electrics from here on out, your opinions on the safer bet?
claytucker2 is offline Find More Posts by claytucker2
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
112 Posts
or even a 72 futaba cap 7, that is what I ran in the past. Has anyone had issues with the turnigy TX though?
I tried blog specific to Turnigy and generally the reviews were good
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:32 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Well, Jake and I will disagree on the DX7; but know there are many 1000's still in service, owned by very satisfied fliers.

Also, you should know that a couple of us once had Jake convinced his Sabre 35 kit was missing the cowl!!!

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:46 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,677 Posts
Lmao

I like the 7 or I wouldn't have had two of them fixed. Programming is easy and pretty quick, MUCH quicker than a 9 cap or something similar. It has plenty of features for about any airplane, I really just wish it had throttle programming expo and curve in airplane mode.

But its documented by many that the lack of an internal backup memory or battery is an Achilles heel for the 7. I've had all 20 models erased twice. Once because the battery died because I left it on by accident and turned it off later on very low voltage. After I charged it and turned it back on it was bricked. The second time I turned it off but it must have turned back on when I sat it in my field box. It stayed on untill it was totally totally dead. Same thing.

I always tell newbies or guys getting back into it to get a good radio with the newest technology but after my issues with it and with spektrum crashing a few planes before life batts came out I omit the 7 from the list. If I didn't have 40 models on spektrum I'd switch to a hitec arora or futaba.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:53 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
780 Posts
As for radio value I don't think it's possible to beat the Flysky 9X upgraded with a FrSky module, a Smartieparts board, and flashed with Open9X (less than $200 total). Has all the features of radios costing several times more. The downsides are that the construction quality is not all that great (I think it's fine but others don't like it), you have to install the board (no soldering though), and learning how to program it takes some time and effort (same for any radio but more so for this one).
fishboy77 is offline Find More Posts by fishboy77
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:56 PM
Joined Aug 2011
112 Posts
I never had issues with programming (futaba, hitec or spektrum), but the first spektrum 2.4 d6i did fail in mid-flight several times back in '07-09, cost me two planes; maybe, they have corrected this error since. Other guys at my field had the same problem and went back to 72 cap 7 futabas.
I don't care about 5+ channels, as I am a park-flyer of electric small planes, but I am worried about failures and latency; perhaps, the hk trinogy has issues with lag times, as I've heard on another blog.
I am also still comparing the time in building, additional carbon fiber strength, and flying capabilities of the PA Electric Shock vs. the 35e Sabre. Do you guys have any opinions on the Precision Aerobatics, "Electric Shock"?

if it's even equivalent or comparable in build time and strength; then, I will stick with the Sabre 35e as my the Sabre 47 was one heck of a plane and the "Electric Shock" price, accessories, motor, esc, landing gear, etc seems ridiculously priced.

I don't actually have a budget, but from personal to business I won't pay too much or waste time on a difficult build.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:01 PM
Joined Aug 2011
112 Posts
I never had issues with programming (futaba, hitec or spektrum), but the first spektrum 2.4 d6i did fail in mid-flight several times back in '07-09, cost me two planes; maybe, they have corrected this error since. Other guys at my field had the same problem and went back to 72 cap 7 futabas.
I don't care about 5+ channels, as I am a park-flyer of electric small planes, but I am worried about failures and latency; perhaps, the hk trinogy has issues with lag times, as I've heard on another blog.
I am also still comparing the time in build, carbon fiber strength, and flying capabilities of the PA Electric Shock vs. the 35e Sabre. Do you guys have any opinions on the Precision Aerobatics, "Electric Shock"?

if it's even equivalent or comparable in build time and strength; then, I will stick with the Sabre 35e as my old Sabre 47 had been my best plane and the "Electric Shock" accessories, motor, esc, landing gear, etc seems ridiculously priced.

I don't actually have a budget, but from personal to business I won't pay too much or waste time on a difficult build.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:35 PM
Joined Aug 2011
112 Posts
Is it better to upgrade the plywood control horns or use them?
the control rods are what size?
which is stronger with landing gear or not using them with grass field landings?
i chose the 6ex fasst futaba on the tx but almost went with the spektrum
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:36 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,677 Posts
Stick with the sabre or scap. I've had or got stick time on all the other foamies and balsa slabs of this size that I know of in production and these are the tuffest and funnest AND cheapest!!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:37 PM
Joined Aug 2011
112 Posts
HobbyKing HK-922MG Digital Metal Gear Servo 1.8kg/ 12g/ 0.07sec, anyone tried these digital/mg servos? they look good
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:49 AM
Joined Aug 2011
112 Posts
Jake, I agree with you; because, I know the sabre 47 from value hobby was one awesome bird as well, geez-us, I wish I had not sold it; but, I should have converted it to electric
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:26 AM
ProBro Spaz
Buffalo, NY
Joined Aug 2004
1,050 Posts
The ply horns are good, for the pushrods pick up some .06 (1.5mm) carbon rod and use short sections of the wire for a zbend and heat shrink tubing (very standard practice these days) I like to use an ez-connector and put the servo end of the carbon right into it.. For the horns I like to hit the holes with thin ca, then drill them out again, this helps them outlast the airplane. I pant them red or white before installing also
spastic is online now Find More Posts by spastic
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:35 AM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake View Post
Lmao

I like the 7 or I wouldn't have had two of them fixed. Programming is easy and pretty quick, MUCH quicker than a 9 cap or something similar. It has plenty of features for about any airplane, I really just wish it had throttle programming expo and curve in airplane mode.

But its documented by many that the lack of an internal backup memory or battery is an Achilles heel for the 7. I've had all 20 models erased twice. Once because the battery died because I left it on by accident and turned it off later on very low voltage. After I charged it and turned it back on it was bricked. The second time I turned it off but it must have turned back on when I sat it in my field box. It stayed on untill it was totally totally dead. Same thing.
So I may be in for a surprise whenever I put the battery back in my DX7?
I have a 9303 and had stopped using the 7... and robbed the battery back in September to keep charged and have with me at a fly-in.

Odd though, like with my other radios, I've had the battery in and out of that thing quite a few times, and never lost a model. Never for more than a few minutes, though.
(You shouldn't have to keep flash memory 'hot' to have it retain its data. Perhaps they use something else?)

I'll have to power it up this evening and check it out.
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member