Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:10 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake View Post
Hmmm !

I bent the shaft on my st10 today ill post the vid up later. I would like to try that other motor. Got a price and link? If it really does give more thrust on only a 10" prop I'm in!
Here's where I got mine. Lowest shipped price I could find in the states: http://www.rcplanebuilder.com/electr...7-8-70g-1100kv

I had not shopped there before but I was impressed with the selection and prices. And you cannot beat $2 shipping, especially when that covers 1 meter carbon fiber rods and tubes.

BTW the Suppo motor also has a 4mm shaft so you can use your existing prop adapters or prop savers from the ST .10.
fishboy77 is offline Find More Posts by fishboy77
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:23 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,885 Posts
I have both of these motors and in my experience the ST-10 far outperforms the SUPPO. That being said, the SUPPO is still a very good performer and very reliable and will last a long time. I have run the ST-10 with an 11x6.5 APC prop and have had no overheating problems at all, even on hot days. I do however prefer it on a 1060DD because I get better run times and the Sabre for me just feels smoother. I don't think you can go wrong with either one but personally I would give the ST-10 the edge performance wise, or you could save a few bucks and be perfectly happy with the SUPPO.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:12 PM
Ignint McNugget
behind Jaggi lines
Joined Jan 2004
907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I have both of these motors and in my experience the ST-10 far outperforms the SUPPO. That being said, the SUPPO is still a very good performer and very reliable and will last a long time. I have run the ST-10 with an 11x6.5 APC prop and have had no overheating problems at all, even on hot days. I do however prefer it on a 1060DD because I get better run times and the Sabre for me just feels smoother. I don't think you can go wrong with either one but personally I would give the ST-10 the edge performance wise, or you could save a few bucks and be perfectly happy with the SUPPO.
That's odd. Do you have data to the contrary of what Dr Kiwi posted in fishboy's links above? Clearly the Suppo outperformed the ST .10 with a GWS 10x6 on 3s-like voltage.
Rumple is offline Find More Posts by Rumple
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:45 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumple View Post
That's odd. Do you have data to the contrary of what Dr Kiwi posted in fishboy's links above? Clearly the Suppo outperformed the ST .10 with a GWS 10x6 on 3s-like voltage.
Here's the best explanation I can come up with: these are both fairly cheap motors. The Suppo in particular. I'm sure there is quite a bit of variation from unit to unit. The Kv on some of these cheap motors is sometimes off by over 100 rpm. Maybe Jetinteriorguy got a weak Suppo. Did you ever happen to measure the Kv of yours Jet?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:09 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,885 Posts
It's been a while since I have put either one on a Wattsup meter, but I'm just mainly speaking from direct flying experience. I have had two of the SUPPO's and liked them a lot, but I have the ST-10 in four of my planes and I have used these motors in planes that all weighed from 20-24 oz. And simply like the ST-10, pullout power and vertical performance were simply better. Like I said before, not like the SUPPO is bad, but in my direct flying experience with the motors I've used I prefer the ST-10. Maybe for some reason it's just personal preference, but you can run all the numbers and data you want, but there is still no substitute for how it actually fly's. I think the larger diameter stator on the ST-10 just gives it more torque due to a longer moment arm so it spools up faster providing a more instant power response. I also think the shorter can length makes it stronger and more resistant to shaft flexing so it's more durable for 3D flying. I'm not trying to sell anyone on one motor or another, just sharing my personal experience and ideas.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:47 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
I havnt had the suppo but I agree with the later remarks of the st.
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:20 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
780 Posts
Well I got my Suppo 2217/8 from rcplanebuilder yesterday. Ordered on Thursday, that's some fast shipping. Did a few tests on it today with my Eagle Tree elogger and brushless RPM sensor. I used a Dynam 30A ESC. I think the timing is set to outrunner mode so that could bias these numbers a bit to the high side. Battery is an old 3s 2200 mAh 25C Gens Ace with resting voltage around 4V/cell or 12V.

unloaded Kv at 12V = 1158

With GWS 10x6:
11.35V (under load)
23.34A
256W
9566 RPM

Based on Dr. Kiwi's charts that RPM with the 10x6 should be good for well over 40 ounces of thrust, although I'm not sure how long smaller 3s packs will be able to hold voltage at that load. Looking forward to seeing how this motor performs on an airplane, but the static tests look good.
Last edited by fishboy77; Oct 14, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:02 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
Sence noone seems to be visiting the scap thread ill just post some little vids I got the other day after I clipped my rons and added the bigger servo arms on the tail. It has about 70-80* of throw on the rudder and it will now do a fair pinwheel if you get the down elevator just right. Too much and it turns into a flat spin, too little and it just makes a nice right ke loop.

Scap to music1 (4 min 1 sec)

scap to music2 (4 min 36 sec)

Magic reborn (9 min 42 sec)

Scap35 bad catch (4 min 57 sec)
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:13 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,885 Posts
Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but my data on the ST-10 has all of mine pulling around 320 watts with an 1170 DD prop and about 300 watts on a 1060 DD prop. On a hot day with the 11" the motors would run close to 140 deg. but on the 10" prop never went over 125 deg. Now I don't have the thrust numbers since I don't have a tach to check with, but the temp would indicate I'm running fairly efficient and as far as actually flying goes in vertical pullout the ST-10 outperforms the SUPPO hands down. That being said, I do still use the SUPPO in my Telink 3D-Buster, for some reason I just prefer this plane without the power of the ST-10 and it just feels smoother with the SUPPO. Either way you can't go wrong, now some guy's are using a SUPPO that's a little higher KV than the 1100, I believe it's more like 1350 or so, and this one sounds like a real performer and I may get one and give it a try. The SUPPO's are a very reliable and durable motor and cost less than the ST-10 and if I can get a little more power I definitely have a place for one.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:52 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
What about the Valuehobby E480's? Same specs as an Eflight 480. Y'all know how either compares with the st or suppo?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:12 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,691 Posts
Jake,

The Valuehobby E480 seems very similar to the 3dhs Omega 72. Little lighter than the Eflite 480 but with more watts. Maybe a few less watts than the ST .10 but more robust housing etc.

A friend of mine has the Valuehobby E480 on the Techone EPO Katana and it seems to be working very well...good power for verticals etc. Looks like a good value. :-)
KE Spin is online now Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:26 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
Good. I have two pz t28s that need motors and my poor ol st10 needs a shaft so heck I figured I'd try one instead of replacing the shaft and bearings on the st.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:48 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
780 Posts
I don't think you can make too much of watts in as a metric for motor performance. Outrunners can run pretty inefficiently (eg 60% range) and still not get hot because they are so good at dissipating heat. This is especially true for the motors that have tons of surface area and exposed windings like the Microdan motors. A much better standard would be prop RPM vs. watts.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:36 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,691 Posts
I look at Kv (rpm per volt), weight, watts and try to be careful with prop selection. My experience shows that outrunners can get very hot. ;-)
KE Spin is online now Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:09 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
780 Posts
Absolutely. I'm just saying that just because it isn't hot doesn't mean it is running efficiently.