SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:43 PM
Northern IL
Joined Sep 2006
822 Posts
Few guys at the field have this and flew it today what a nice ship I just order 2 of them, now have to go through this whole thread and find the best motor porp combo for it, looks like I have a lot of reading here.

I have a bunch of 3S 1300mA batt so this is the one I will be using now to find the best motor and prop combo
skypan12 is offline Find More Posts by skypan12
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:28 PM
Pro Bro ozzy
United States, WY, Cheyenne
Joined Aug 2004
533 Posts
For light weight and really good power, ST .10. I like it with a 11X 3.8 SF. You will need to make the opening for the motor bigger, Just FYI.
Tim B is offline Find More Posts by Tim B
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:39 PM
Northern IL
Joined Sep 2006
822 Posts
I will have to look that one up I have never heard of it before, the one I flew today had a BP 2217-9 with a 10 X4.7 SF prop seem nice but have nothing to compare it to,
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:54 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,778 Posts
Hands down the best combo is the st10, 40-45a esc and apc 11x5.5E prop. I've tried 4 motors and every Gws, E andsf prop and that one gives the best thrust without too much torque and no puffing batts!
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:46 AM
NY Slope Dog
Syracuse, NY
Joined Sep 2003
822 Posts
Good advice Jake. After seeing you fly I know how hard you are on your birds and this also matches what we've found on our Bouncer which is in the same weight class.

--Joe
Wind Junkie is offline Find More Posts by Wind Junkie
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:35 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake View Post
Hands down the best combo is the st10, 40-45a esc and apc 11x5.5E prop. I've tried 4 motors and every Gws, E andsf prop and that one gives the best thrust without too much torque and no puffing batts!
This combo also works well with a 1060 DD prop as well. The trick with the SuperTigre ST-10 is to remove the two set screws on the motor mount and reinstall them with loctite, otherwise the motor can twist in the mount and short the wires. Be sure to snug them down real well.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:10 AM
Northern IL
Joined Sep 2006
822 Posts
Quote:
well I will give the ST .10 a try where would be a good place to get one?

I have a CC Thunderbird 36 would that be ok to use with the APC 11 X5.5 prop?

I have found 4 HS 65"s so servos are covered, is the CG very critical on this plane? where do most run it at?

I know some times it can be quite diff from where the manufacture states it should be.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:10 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,778 Posts
I bent my shaft at Nash when I folded the wings after multiple wot money shots, lol, but I won a spaz cap so after I order a new shaft ill try the scap. Then get a bouncer for shure! Super smooth bird!
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:11 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,778 Posts
The 36 should be fine. Just fly it and see. If components are getting too hot then go with the 10/6dd
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:42 AM
Northern IL
Joined Sep 2006
822 Posts
Quote:
The 36 should be fine. Just fly it and see. If components are getting too hot then go with the 10/6dd
ok any suggestion for CG? what I normally do is get the mid point from the manual and then go fly, get inverted and see if the nose climes (tail heavy) or the nose goes down ( nose heavy ) or if it just fly straight and level ( neutral ), is there any place that this plane likes to be at?
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:27 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,778 Posts
I do the same. The sabre comes out a bit tail heavy if you go with metal gear servos or if u don't use the landing gear. But if you don't mind just a bit on the tail heavy side then with the st10, esc and rx all as far forward as you can get then with the lipo strapped on where the cutouts are it should cg fine.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:36 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
Quote:
I do the same. The sabre comes out a bit tail heavy if you go with metal gear servos or if u don't use the landing gear. But if you don't mind just a bit on the tail heavy side then with the st10, esc and rx all as far forward as you can get then with the lipo strapped on where the cutouts are it should cg fine.
yes, mine was tail heavy with 65mgs all around.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:48 PM
Northern IL
Joined Sep 2006
822 Posts
Great, well airframe should be here in few days so we will get this together and look forward to some good times.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:50 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
i also thought it flew MUCH better after i removed the Landing Gear.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:52 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,778 Posts
The sabre is one of those planes you can have the cg at 50% chord and it just flies better and better! Just sux in that case if you actually want to hold a level line.