HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:14 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
They are a single peice flat CF that run thru a slit in the fuse with fiberglass reinforcment glued to each side of the fuse. It light work on the Sabre. Hell, for $12 so long as shipping isnt bad its worth a try and if it doesnt work i'll just have to cut a new fomojo
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:10 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake View Post
They are a single peice flat CF that run thru a slit in the fuse with fiberglass reinforcment glued to each side of the fuse. It light work on the Sabre. Hell, for $12 so long as shipping isnt bad its worth a try and if it doesnt work i'll just have to cut a new fomojo
I was thinking about this, maybe you could just mount a horizontal piece of ply just under the wing and mount the gear to that. I still have my old wrecked Sabre, maybe I'll tear it up tonight and see how it would work.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:28 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
honestly as long as the legs hold upto the sabres weight and less than smooth landings I dont think mounting would be a problem.. They might flex out alot but thats better than not rolling at all and just folding under. They hve 3 difffernt sizes so im thinking the middle size and just use the stock landing gear mount and drimel a slit in it and slip the gear thru and epoxy it in with thin ply on each side or it could be done useing the gear for a 48" plane durring assembly and slipped into the wing saddle, with a small ply square glued to the bottom LE of the wing for it to be glued to. This would point the legs out forward a bit too.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:59 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake View Post
honestly as long as the legs hold upto the sabres weight and less than smooth landings I dont think mounting would be a problem.. They might flex out alot but thats better than not rolling at all and just folding under. They hve 3 difffernt sizes so im thinking the middle size and just use the stock landing gear mount and drimel a slit in it and slip the gear thru and epoxy it in with thin ply on each side or it could be done useing the gear for a 48" plane durring assembly and slipped into the wing saddle, with a small ply square glued to the bottom LE of the wing for it to be glued to. This would point the legs out forward a bit too.
Give it a go man, keep us posted. I'd love to not have to bend the gear every time I land in the grass.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:10 AM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,183 Posts
Hey guys I'm on my fourth Parkmaster. I do not crash them, I abuse them until they get soft and don't snap as well. This Sabre looks similar in size and shape. I always go for TOTAL hotrod! I'm thinking balsa will hold up better than foam. I'm thinking HS65mg's all around with a Motrolfly motor and ESC. I've been lurking here for a month, have not read entire thread, are any mods needed? Love to take one to the Huckfest in October! Thanks!!!
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:51 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
No mods other than the soft gear legs and balsa control horns. Theyre holes tend to round out over time Abd develop slop. Mine are horrible but I can't tell anything in flight but I'm sure I'd feel the diff of I were to switch to nylon or cf.
Mine actually died yesterday
A bad deans joint caused it to crash durring a blender in the back yard. It first whopped the house then bounced into a tree then fell about 40' onto my paved driveway. The motor mount is busted, the shaft is bent, the wing tips and one ron are crushed and the fuse is broken in several spots. Sence I'm broke as crap right now I'll throw the ca to it untill I can afford a new scap so I can compare the two.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:36 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,888 Posts
The Scap is a blast, super floppy and waterfalls are effortless. The only issue I've experienced so far is in ke no matter what I've tried it still tucks to the belly. I've tried spoilerons, which are kind of necessary for normal flight with this plane. I've gone nose heavy to get more up elevator, still no good and the rest of the flight envelope suffered. So for now I've just settled to fly it out and it's no big deal. If I ever kill this one or the Sabre I'm going to try a SwanysHouse Primo. I have a Primo 40 waiting to be built this winter and all the ones I've seen fly so sweet I have to give them a try.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:00 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
The scap is supposed to ke cleaner than the old one but my sabre tucks too. Rolls a little too. A big thing is vertical cg. Hang it by its prop shaft and follow the thrust line back and put a t pin in the fuse at the rudder hung line and ballance it to stay wings vertical. I never did it but if tuck is an issue than aileron reflex won't fix it all together.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:31 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,888 Posts
I'm not sure if I follow what your saying, but my plane is balanced laterally. I had to add just a little bit of lead to one wing tip. I suppose I could add a mix but it's no a big deal to just fly it out. It always seems like even with a mix you just wind up doing whatever corrections based on wind anyway so I just fly it and get used to it.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:51 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
There is regular cg(fore-aft), lateral cg (side to side) and vertical cg (top to bottom).
If you hold the plane sideways with the wings perpendicular to the floor, that is how you get the vertical cg. If the plane is bottom heavy it will tuck to the gear in ke. And vise versa.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:57 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,888 Posts
Ah, I see what your saying. This is to make sure it's neither top heavy or bottom heavy. I'll have to check this out and see what happens. You would hang it the way you were describing and shift gear position until the wings are perpendicular to the ground. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:00 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,888 Posts
I checked out the Scap and it's a little hard to tell where the thrust line is. The motor and hor stab are both higher on the fuse than the wing and it appears that the stab is on the thrust line. I'm going to ask Spaz if that's the case and if so I'll check the balance out. Just by looking at it though it will most likely come out bottom heavy. The way it sit's right now both the wing,receiver and lg are below the thrust line and the batt and motor are right on it. So the only thing to counterbalance this is the top of the fuse so it's most likely bottom heavy.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:46 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
Yup. Pm spaz. With a low wing or a mid wing with the wing below the thrust line I'm not sure. But these usually come out bottom heavy because we "hide" the rx and wires under the wing and like to line up the batt with the motor and esc which is usually below the line, then there is the gear.
Another way to think about it is on a pattern plane. Tall fuse with a big canopy and short, squatty gear with everything inside usually mount kinda high up in the fuse. Makes sence because you want them as perfectly neutral in the air as possible.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:51 AM
ProBro Spaz
Buffalo, NY
Joined Aug 2004
951 Posts
The scap will KE perfect with everything in stock locations, no need for up or down thrust either, most issues are from ailerons that are drooping instead of being level or even slightly up (reflexed) from neutral. The cg should be right on the aileron output shaft or the rear servo screw, any further back and it's tail heavy and it will pull to the gear in KE. If its pulling to the canopy the ailerons are drooped or it's nose heavy. Should not need flapper on or spoileron to get it to fly.
Regards
Spaz
spastic is offline Find More Posts by spastic
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:26 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spastic View Post
The scap will KE perfect with everything in stock locations, no need for up or down thrust either, most issues are from ailerons that are drooping instead of being level or even slightly up (reflexed) from neutral. The cg should be right on the aileron output shaft or the rear servo screw, any further back and it's tail heavy and it will pull to the gear in KE. If its pulling to the canopy the ailerons are drooped or it's nose heavy. Should not need flapper on or spoileron to get it to fly.
Regards
Spaz
Cool, thanks Spaz. I'll set it up accordingly and give it a whirl. The weird thing is I set mine up just ever so slightly nose heavy and it still tucked to the gear. When I did a power off dive it dove straight so it seems my control surfaces are ok. I'll definitely take your suggestions and report back.