HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:57 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipk View Post
Hi Jetiteriorguy,

Did you mount your motor with slightly down and right thrust? Thanks.
I am using some right thrust on both the Sabre and the Scap, I'm not sure how many degrees. The tip of the prop is about 1/4" closer to the LE of the right wing than the left wing. I can't visibly tell if there is any down thrust but it dosn't exhibit any symptoms of the vertical thrust line being off. I wouldn't get too worried about it though, this plane isn't particularly sensitive to thrust line issues. Just toss it in the air and it's an easy enough plane to fly and work out any kinks as you go along, nothing about this plane will just reach out and bite when you least expect it. You'll be able to do all your trim, cg, and setting flights pretty easy before going crazy with it.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:42 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,677 Posts
I don't use any right or down thrust on any of my profiles. Only on planes that don't track strait thru maneuvers, like sport planes or fattys because they have alot less fuse area than a slab so they need a touch of right thrust and sometimes down too but on a profile you don't stay strait enough long enough to tell anyway! Just make sure you don't have left or down thrust and fly it!!
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:51 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Jake, "left and up"....little down about 1 degree won't hurt..."up and left" would be bad.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:41 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,677 Posts
Good catch...I meant left and up
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:18 AM
United States, NJ, Marlboro Township
Joined Apr 2010
36 Posts
Sabre 35 Motor Position

Hi Jetinteriorguy, Jake,

Thanks a lot for the info. Appreciate it. By the way Jetinteriorguy, I like the Primo 15 too (very good price). May be my next one too.
helipk is offline Find More Posts by helipk
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:10 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipk View Post
Hi Jetinteriorguy, Jake,

Thanks a lot for the info. Appreciate it. By the way Jetinteriorguy, I like the Primo 15 too (very good price). May be my next one too.
I saw a few of these at ChoBro on Memorial Day weekend and they are super sweet.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:15 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,677 Posts
Anything from swany is gonna be good. Even the old borrito and taco! I've never flown the 40 or 60 mojos but I can say the taco is way more fun than the mojo25 but neither can compare to the sabre 35!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:47 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
I've decided to start with the Primo 40, I feel like for now having both the 35" Sabre and the Scap pretty much covers me for a smaller plane. I was thinking about a Mojo 40 with removable wings, but Paul said for dork ability the solid wing is better, plus it's easier to make a batt pocket in a solid wing so I figured I might as well go with the Primo since the Mojo looks very similiar in design to the Sabre. I'm ordering it today. Should be interesting to finally do a kit build.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:52 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,677 Posts
I finally got my st10 on my sabre. Now I know what you guys mean by it feels like a 4 stroke! Just tons of thrust and torque out of a hover but it runs out of speed on the very after that but I'm satisfied. I only tried an apc 10-3.8sf on my crappy 1100 20c lipo. Flight time was short and everything was very warm afterwords. I might switch up from the 30amp esc after I try the gws dd prop and an 11" apc.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:46 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake View Post
I finally got my st10 on my sabre. Now I know what you guys mean by it feels like a 4 stroke! Just tons of thrust and torque out of a hover but it runs out of speed on the very after that but I'm satisfied. I only tried an apc 10-3.8sf on my crappy 1100 20c lipo. Flight time was short and everything was very warm afterwords. I might switch up from the 30amp esc after I try the gws dd prop and an 11" apc.
I've used both 11x4.7 and 10x4.7 on mine and like the 10x4.7 best. The 11" is ballistic and does run a little warm, but I like the 10" better because it transitions so much smoother for 3D flying and top end is still plenty strong. I think the 11" just has too much prop torque to fight. I was going to try the 1060 DD but I didn't drill the hole big enough to fit my prop adapter. I'll still have to drill it out right and give it a try.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:20 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Guys, I would be interested in your opinions after trying the ST with an APC 11x7. A friend requested that I set up his plane with that prop, and he just loves it - very solid and sustained hovers, with no visible torque roll.

I've raised the question before - SF vs e-style props, and would be interested in your opinions after trying the 11x7.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:39 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgomes View Post
Guys, I would be interested in your opinions after trying the ST with an APC 11x7. A friend requested that I set up his plane with that prop, and he just loves it - very solid and sustained hovers, with no visible torque roll.

I've raised the question before - SF vs e-style props, and would be interested in your opinions after trying the 11x7.

Steve
I used to hate the SF props, I always felt they were too inefficient and too slow to spool up and lacking on top end. But for me I like them on my Sabre and my Scap, although I have yet to try the DD. The DD props are stronger and can handle more abuse as well. Next week I'll get a chance to try a DD since I'll be out of town this weekend so no flying for me.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:24 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,677 Posts
I don't get how a 7 pitch prop would sustain a hover with no slip/cavitation and how 11" would not induce a torque roll.

Also, your friend mike like it because he has nothing to compare it to and the 11-7 is the most power in a plans he has had, tho it's still not the best option.

IMHO this plane is on the verge of needing an E prop but it can use an sf just fine. I hate E props. They just don't have any bottom end. If the motor has too much power for an sf then I use a wooden prop like a VESS or xoar.
If the sf os pulling too many amps just lower the pitch but if it's flexing then you need to not use SFs.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:48 PM
probro 2567
Midlothian,VA
Joined Jan 2006
321 Posts
IMO the gws dd orange props are more flexible than the apc SF props, especially at the tips. I would also think that they may tend to flatten/flex some on spool up. So maybe thats whats giving it more bite. As for torque, I believe they are lighter than apc's so flatening/flexing some and less weight may contribute some there too. IDK just a guess????
kwj48 is offline Find More Posts by kwj48
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:43 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,677 Posts
Some one needs to setup a high speed cam and test all 3 to see how they act!