ie. what I already have in my parts bin
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:52 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,605 Posts
Spaz used 56s at the start of this thread. Don't know if 55s will cut it.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:54 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
I would stay away from the 55's. They have nylon gears. I'm actually using hs45HB's in the wings and doing ok. The 45's have carbonite gears which IMHO are far superior to nylon.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:31 AM
USA, WY, Cody
Joined Jan 2008
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepople View Post
but hs 55's wont cut it right?
what about 56's?
ie. what I already have in my parts bin
I used 55's on the aileron's to start with; they stripped in about 12-15 flights. Switched to Emax ES08D mg's and haven't looked back... my Emax's have worked great!
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:49 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Thanks for confirming the hs55 issue. The Sabre's ailerons are rather large so light metal gear or carbonite geared servos are the way to go.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:52 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,605 Posts
i want to try these in the wing:
http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...oge-servo.html

and these in the tail:
http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...oge-servo.html
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:57 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
I orderd 4 of the ones Spastic recommended, I hope they are not too heavy. The link is broken now
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:01 PM
USA, WY, Cody
Joined Jan 2008
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
Those look decent. Let us know how the centering, etc is if you try some...
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:13 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,417 Posts
espritmodel has 20% off hitec today, 22.40 for hs65mg and 12.80 for hs45, just ordered a bunch of servos and free shipping if your over $100
cyber2011 is the code
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:30 PM
probro 2567
Midlothian,VA
Joined Jan 2006
321 Posts
I've got 56's on my ailerons and 65 mg's on the tail. For me the tail feathers take more of a beating than the wings.
kwj48 is offline Find More Posts by kwj48
Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:41 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE Spin View Post
I would stay away from the 55's. They have nylon gears. I'm actually using hs45HB's in the wings and doing ok. The 45's have carbonite gears which IMHO are far superior to nylon.
Are you getting full deflection with the HS45's, I had them in my last Sabre and they worked ok, but I wasn't getting full deflection. I didn't mind that they weren't gettin full deflection because I don't like a fast roll rate so I just left them in. This time I'm trying the TP SG90Mg's to see if I like them better. Got my motor and esc today so I'm thinking this week I'll get started.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:45 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Yes, full deflection using the next to last hole on the long arms. I wasn't sure they would be strong enough but they have surprised me. In the vid I posted you can see the roll rate in the torque roll and anti-torque roll which are both aileron induced.

I also have them in wings on my 42" Slick (which used to strip hs55's every couple weeks).
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:01 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Yes, full deflection using the next to last hole on the long arms. I wasn't sure they would be strong enough but they have surprised me. In the vid I posted you can see the roll rate in the torque roll and anti-torque roll which are both aileron induced.

I also have them in wings on my 42" Slick (which used to strip hs55's every couple weeks).
If I remember right that's the hole I had mine in. Maybe my hinges were tight or something, or it could be my bec in the esc I was using was weak. I was only using a Turnigy Plush 25amp esc which is probably why, this time I'm using a ZTW 40amp esc, the bec has 5.5v and 4amps so it should work better. I think the Turnigy was 4.8v and 3amps so it fell short. I love all the recent video's, they are making me miss flying my Sabre. Getting me motivated to build it. I won't be able to try the HS45HB's since I put them in a small foamy and am really loving them in there instead of cheap 5gm servo's.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:08 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
I got the hs45hb's used from a friend. They had e-z connectors and apparently he had accidentally glued the e-z connector to the sevo arm. Initially I did not get full deflection and thought the hs45's were too weak.

But when I looked, I saw that the lack of rotation of the e-z connector caused the servo arm to twist and not make full deflection. Once I cleaned up the glue, all was well. Other than that, no problems with the hs45's.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:23 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
I got the hs45hb's used from a friend. They had e-z connectors and apparently he had accidentally glued the e-z connector to the sevo arm. Initially I did not get full deflection and thought the hs45's were too weak.

But when I looked, I saw that the lack of rotation of the e-z connector caused the servo arm to twist and not make full deflection. Once I cleaned up the glue, all was well. Other than that, no problems with the hs45's.
Oh yeah, been there, done that.