SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2011, 06:32 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
I changed to a thicker wire. No flex now.
Jimmy Hoffa is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy Hoffa
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:29 PM
USA, WY, Cody
Joined Jan 2008
422 Posts
I did the carbon rod, using the included wire ends on each end. Think the carbon rod I had was a little bigger and wouldn't fit an EZ connector...

Did some turkey day flyin today: 4 flights on the Sabre 35 and 3 on my VH Yak55/Saito 82! Happy Thanksgiving!
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:44 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
video?
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:37 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepople View Post
video?
WOW, just looked at your profile pictures, nice collection of planes, how do you find the time to fly them all?

I will try to get someone to video my rookie flying this Sunday
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:20 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Unfortunately i don't get to fly them all. Unfortunately the collection is bigger since that photo was taken.
I have my favs and I bet the saber is going to be one of them as I like tumbles.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:22 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Got a video this afternoon. Will get it posted to youtube and linked in here.

It was windy with a lot of turbulence but still got decent performance out of the Sabre.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Nov 26, 2011, 01:47 PM
USA, WY, Cody
Joined Jan 2008
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepople View Post
video?
sorry, no video here. I have a GoPro at home that I need to learn how to edit/resize the vids so I can post 'em online...

Wind's blowin like crazy ever since turkey day; no flying here
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old Nov 26, 2011, 07:20 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE Spin View Post
Got a video this afternoon. Will get it posted to youtube and linked in here.

It was windy with a lot of turbulence but still got decent performance out of the Sabre.
I'm curious about one thing, before I struggled in the wind with the Sabre. This time I'm using a motor that puts out about 90 more watts so I'm hoping that makes a difference. Before I was using a 220 watt motor which seemed perfectly fine, but now I'm using a 310 watt motor that may make a serious difference on a windy day. If so I will definitely retract my statements about the Sabre not being very easy in winds much over 10-12 mph. I like flying in the wind and do have several planes that aren't too bad up to 20mph gusts. Since I crunched the lg plate on my 60" Edge when a motor quit on fri. I have a receiver free'd up so maybe I'll put the Sabre together this week when the motor and esc get here and test it out if the weather dosn't get too cold.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:38 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,417 Posts
I think the sabre does great in the wind, you have to play to it and fly a little higher but it is one of my favorite wind planes, it's all I flew today in 13-18mph winds
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:49 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
Of course the fact that I always seem to have a problem with the stupid filter when I fly this plane could explain my challenges flying in the wind. Nah, I know this plane can fly in the wind, it's just that I only fly this thing mostly in 3D and it tends to get blown around pretty good doing this when the wind's reach 15mph, and the school yard where I do most of my flying has really swirly ground winds and is surrounded by very tall airplane eating trees. On the other hand I suppose I could fly a little higher, nah, no fun in that[oops, stupid filter malfunction again].
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:08 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I'm curious about one thing, before I struggled in the wind with the Sabre. This time I'm using a motor that puts out about 90 more watts ........
Flying in the wind is a combination of performance and preference. A few things to think about:
1. Do you like to fly in the wind?
2. Changing set up for wind flying (prop, cg)?
3. Using the wind to your advantage?
4. Is more power better in the wind?

I like to fly in the wind and try to use it too my advantage. For example, lots of into the wind maneurvers...elevators, ke hovers, stationary flight,stationary point rolls, rolling elevator and I love to pop over the top in a waterfall and just let the wind take the plane for a little distance. I also like to hover and watch the plane blow with the wind.

For wind flying I usually go 1" shorter in prop length and the next size up in twist or pitch. I usually fly an 11 x 3.8 slow flyer but in the wind I move to the 10 x 4.7 sf but have actually found that the 10 x 4.7 sf is a pretty good all around prop.

Some guys move the cg but I found that I don't have to with the Sabre.

More power is probably better in the wind but I'm using an Eflite 450 size motor and 1600mah batteries so I'm getting around 170 watts per pound so I don't really have any power issues.

It's kind of fun to watch the wind sock stick out to beyond 15knots, watch the glow and gasser planes get put in cars, trucks and trailers as I put up my little 36" profile for 3d fun. I don't get too low if it is gusty or turbulent but it still makes me giggle. :-)

Back to your question. Man, 300 watts is a BUNCH. But if it makes you giggle and the plane don't come apart then DO IT!!
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:21 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Flying in the wind is a combination of performance and preference. A few things to think about:

I like to fly in the wind and try to use it too my advantage. For example, lots of into the wind maneurvers...elevators, ke hovers, stationary flight,stationary point rolls, rolling elevator and I love to pop over the top in a waterfall and just let the wind take the plane for a little distance. I also like to hover and watch the plane blow with the wind.

For wind flying I usually go 1" shorter in prop length and the next size up in twist or pitch. I usually fly an 11 x 3.8 slow flyer but in the wind I move to the 10 x 4.7 sf but have actually found that the 10 x 4.7 sf is a pretty good all around prop.

More power is probably better in the wind but I'm using an Eflite 450 size motor and 1600mah batteries so I'm getting around 170 watts per pound so I don't really have any power issues.

It's kind of fun to watch the wind sock stick out to beyond 15knots, watch the glow and gasser planes get put in cars, trucks and trailers as I put up my little 36" profile for 3d fun. I don't get too low if it is gusty or turbulent but it still makes me giggle. :-)

Back to your question. Man, 300 watts is a BUNCH. But if it makes you giggle and the plane don't come apart then DO IT!!
Oh yeah, I love to fly in the wind and totally agree with you. I do it a lot, but mostly with foamies so if I smack the ground it's no big deal. I have never though about reproping for the wind though, I'll give it a try. I don't fly slofly props, but maybe just for the heck of it, I'll give it a try again on the Sabre and see what happens.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:30 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
For reference, what props are you using??
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:32 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,417 Posts
Quote:

+1 exactly what happen today, got windy and everybody started packing except me and the 600 size heli, had a blast doing stationary rolls, hovers that get push back 100's of feet, strange KE things I don't even know they have a name, etc, and landing this thing in the wind is really just finding a point to set it down, hardest part today was taking off, thing almost got blow back into my face a couple times, love this plane, glad I bought 2

10 x 4.7 is all I like on this
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:40 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Wind take offs are hand launches for me...vertical as wind will allow, full power and with a tail wind (so it doesn't come back in my face).

Sometimes the glow and gasser crowd get a little nasty and fumble for excuses...they are just jealous.