HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:53 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,996 Posts
I've just decided to order all new equipment for mine, and spread the purchases out over time and then do the build this winter. I'm going with a SuperTigre ST-10 motor, ZTW 30amp esc, TP MG90 servo's, and then just use my 1500's for batts. I'm debating about using the lg, they tend to get pretty bent up because of how rough the field is where I do most of my flying. Just floating this in and plopping it down is no sweat anyway. Or I may toy with the idea of making some cf gear or look around for some already made ones.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:29 AM
USA, WY, Cody
Joined Jan 2008
422 Posts
I've had good luck using just one zip tie on the stock gear, in the lower holes. A rough landing might just bend the gear a little, and pop the zip tie, but no damage. I usually try to just catch the thing outta hover, but breezy conditions make that difficult (for me at least). I need the gear, cuz I can't figure out how to "plop" it down without breaking a prop...
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:38 PM
ProBro Spaz
Buffalo, NY
Joined Aug 2004
1,051 Posts
http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...oge-servo.html

New servo I'm going to try out, there is a mg and pg version of this power hd servo
spastic is offline Find More Posts by spastic
Old Nov 12, 2011, 03:14 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo69cowboy View Post
I've had good luck using just one zip tie on the stock gear, in the lower holes. A rough landing might just bend the gear a little, and pop the zip tie, but no damage. I usually try to just catch the thing outta hover, but breezy conditions make that difficult (for me at least). I need the gear, cuz I can't figure out how to "plop" it down without breaking a prop...
Yeah, I'm thinking if I don't go with the stock gear I may try to find some slightly heavier wire and make my own. Or maybe just go with the stock gear, it's not like they are real bad or anything. I just wish they were a little stronger. Hey Spaz, keep us posted how those servo's work, I'm curious if they will have enough torque. I'm half thinking of going with the MG90 on the tailfeathers and the MG90s on the ailerons.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:48 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,610 Posts
spaz, i ordered two of those servos but in the non metal gear version to replace the jittering EMAX digis. I thought about using metal gears but when i did with the MG90s, i was tail heavy.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:51 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
spaz, i ordered two of those servos but in the non metal gear version to replace the jittering EMAX digis. I thought about using metal gears but when i did with the MG90s, i was tail heavy.
Glad to see you havn't given up on the Sabre yet, hope you get the servo hassles straightened out.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:57 PM
ProBro Eric in Jax
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2006
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spastic View Post
I would get the higher kv, I like a 10" prop and snappy response, 850 kv is 4cell territory IMO
Spaz

could you explain the whole KV deal. I always assumed the lower kv allowed for large prop using same pack. I read several post of yours and you always seem to favor the higher kv motors.

Thanks
Eric.
p0stal is offline Find More Posts by p0stal
Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:01 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Glad to see you havn't given up on the Sabre yet, hope you get the servo hassles straightened out.
actually, i was going to sell it to a guy but since the new ones are now available again at VH, i'm sure he'll just pick one up. So this and the 40 Juka have become my go to park fliers when i don't want to pack everything up and head to the club field.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:22 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
I ordered one and some servos. If its about 20oz then my 2212 26 Axi setup will work fine. I swing a bigger prop but motor never gets hot. A little heavier than Hacker so better CG possibilities.

Trying out those servos also. I hope they center properly...

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:18 PM
ProBro Wulf
Joined Oct 2006
249 Posts
Those servos are fast but from the pictures they look like they come with those little CJ arms.

That's one of the big pluses to me about the Emax servos they come with big 3D arms.

Spaz when you get a chance can you see what 3d arms might fit the HD servos?
Wulf_Flieger is offline Find More Posts by Wulf_Flieger
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:45 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
wish the 3dh ones were more easily available. or the Precision aerobatics arms would be good. they both fit on the existing arms so they are compatible with all servos.
http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...ls.php?pid=721
or
http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...ls.php?pid=228

They also have VOX props if you want a woodie for this bird
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:00 PM
ProBro Spaz
Buffalo, NY
Joined Aug 2004
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0stal View Post
Spaz

could you explain the whole KV deal. I always assumed the lower kv allowed for large prop using same pack. I read several post of yours and you always seem to favor the higher kv motors.

Thanks
Eric.
Yes you need a larger prop to get the power with a lower kv motor, but do you want a larger than 10" prop on a 35" span airplane? I like the faster response and lighter weight and cheaper 10" props better on a plane this size.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:58 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spastic View Post
Yes you need a larger prop to get the power with a lower kv motor, but do you want a larger than 10" prop on a 35" span airplane? I like the faster response and lighter weight and cheaper 10" props better on a plane this size.
Do you use the DD1060 or are you using an APC 10x50? The ST-10 that I'm going to use really like an 11x6.5 on the plane that I was using, but that had a 44" ws.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:03 AM
ProBro Spaz
Buffalo, NY
Joined Aug 2004
1,051 Posts
On the e400 I do like the dd10x6, for the st10 it is a bigger motor so you will need a 11" prop, the 11x7dd or hd (whatever GWS calls them these days) works great
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:35 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
I put one of the E400 motors on mine and really like the pull of a 10X4.7 SF prop. Tried the GWS 1060dd, but liked the punch out of the SF prop better.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34