HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:49 PM
HMMM... ( ) ^ ( ) 'S !!!
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2009
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
I center the wing, mark with erasable marker, remove wing and cut out covering between marked area, slide wing in close to center with removed covering showing, coat exposed wing wood with epoxy, slide in wing so exposed wood comes out other side, give another coat of epoxy, slide wing in and center, have lots of small paper towels and q tips ready with alcohol, soak papertowl with alc and wipe each side of wing/fuz, fine work can be done with q-tip, let dry....

may be overkil but that's what I do
That's how I did mine too. Really solid.
Burgertime is offline Find More Posts by Burgertime
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2011, 07:54 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
It is really solid and it surprises me since there seems to be so little in the way of saddle area. Mine is ancient and an able acrobat when it comes to tumbling across the grass and still rock solid.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:30 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,499 Posts
Ok- I received the box in the mail today. Looks to be a good kit. The slot where the elevator gets glued in was cut unevenly so I'm going to have to shim that up a bit. There's about 1.5mm of play so no amount of epoxy or CA will solve that. No instructions were included so the only thing that I'm not 100% sure about is the motor mount. I could probably figure that out though.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:11 PM
Pro Bro ozzy
United States, WY, Cheyenne
Joined Aug 2004
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Ok- I received the box in the mail today. I'm not 100% sure about is the motor mount.
Rascal,

Check the first page it has all the info you'll need to build it.

Tim
Tim B is offline Find More Posts by Tim B
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:52 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,499 Posts
Duh, I knew that. Got it figured out. Thanks!
Old Mar 08, 2011, 05:17 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,948 Posts
You are really going to love this thing. I leave mine in the car all the time so it's with me to fly whenever I get the chance. I have several larger well known brands of full fuse planes that I love, but for just plain fun and ease of flying this thing just can't be beat. One thing I would recommend is to make sure the ailerons and elevator aren't warped before you install them. I didn't notice this on mine until they were installed, and not that it's a big deal to twist them and reshrink the covering, it just is easier to do before they are installed.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Mar 12, 2011, 03:39 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,948 Posts
Woo hoo what a ride, sick of sitting around watching the wind blow and figured what the heck. Gave it a try in 20+mph wind, pretty crazy. Had some fun, but the gusts got really bad about half way through the second pack and I had some small spectators who liked to get in front of me and made landing even more tricky than just the wind so I gave it up before something bad happened. What a blast, just elevator in the wind down to a landing, always fun. HAKE hovers are good until a gust blows you away.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:21 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
Love that kinda flying. Gets really good when a couple drops come out
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Mar 15, 2011, 03:43 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,948 Posts
Got in another couple of windy day packs today. This plane is a maniac in the wind, only got to fly two because my hands got too cold. I also had a new wing in the car waiting to complete my rebuild on my 55" Edge, so now all of my fleet is airworthy. This little Sabre has definitely become my stay in the car/go to plane it's just so fun.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:53 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,499 Posts
Finished mine up yesterday. Haven't had a chance to fly it yet (wind and rain). I put Dubro 1/2A control horns on the ailerons because the wood ones broke. I hope the rudder and elevator horns are OK. I also used stiffer pushrods. The stocks bent when I breathed on them. I've seen posts here about the CG and how it's pretty much all over the place. I'm going to use a 3s1500 stuck right behind the motor mount and see how it goes. The plane balances at the center wing spar.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:14 PM
ProBro Spaz
Buffalo, NY
Joined Aug 2004
1,004 Posts
on the output shaft of the aileron servos is the sweet spot for a neutral 3D CG
spastic is offline Find More Posts by spastic
Old Mar 16, 2011, 05:22 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,948 Posts
Quote:
Finished mine up yesterday. Haven't had a chance to fly it yet (wind and rain). I put Dubro 1/2A control horns on the ailerons because the wood ones broke. I hope the rudder and elevator horns are OK. I also used stiffer pushrods. The stocks bent when I breathed on them. I've seen posts here about the CG and how it's pretty much all over the place. I'm going to use a 3s1500 stuck right behind the motor mount and see how it goes. The plane balances at the center wing spar.
I'm using 1500's on mine and it flies great with the batt right back against the wing. I do have my esc as far forward as it can go, and am running a 72gm motor.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:24 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,499 Posts
Flew 3 packs this morning. Flies pretty good. I still need to find the sweet spot for throws and expo. I'm going to try a different prop next. The 10x6 barely has enough power to pull out of a hover at full throttle (1100kv 450 from Heads Up). I have a few 11x4.7 slow fly props in my toolbox. Think those may work better?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:36 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,948 Posts
Quote:
Flew 3 packs this morning. Flies pretty good. I still need to find the sweet spot for throws and expo. I'm going to try a different prop next. The 10x6 barely has enough power to pull out of a hover at full throttle (1100kv 450 from Heads Up). I have a few 11x4.7 slow fly props in my toolbox. Think those may work better?
I'm running an 11x5.5 EMP prop from valuehobby and it works great. I believe I am running the same motor as you. All equipment comes down barely warm to the touch and I'm getting 9 minutes of hard flying with no problem.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:41 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,499 Posts
Value Hobby shows that prop is out of stock. I may have an APC 11x5.5 laying around.