HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2009, 11:30 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7 Posts
Help!
Looking to build a large scale 747-400

I am kicking around the idea of building a 747-400 in 1/32nd scale or possibly even going a little larger. Maybe 1/25th since there are now edf's on the market large enough to handle that size, considering that I would be using four of them. I want to design it to have as authentic an outward appearance as possible even down to engine housing diameter and wheel sizes and so forth. I would even like to be able to put access panels to electronics, batteries, etc in the same locations that cargo doors and such are located on the real plane. I have been able to find some information on the web but it is limited. Mostly just overal length, wing span, tail height, etc. I have considred ordering one of the desk top models that are avialible and taking my measurements from it, then doing the conversion to my choosen scale. Does anyone know who builds one the is the most acurate to scale? I am open to all other ideas you can throw at me as well. I haven't even started to think about building materials or methods yet as this will be a long term project. I can see a year just in the planning stages.
RoJack1 is offline Find More Posts by RoJack1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2009, 11:54 AM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
The desktop model is not likely to be accurate. Look for a good 3-view. Here's one of a 747-100: http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vues/b747_3v.jpg
Lynxman is offline Find More Posts by Lynxman
Old Jan 03, 2009, 10:09 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,118 Posts
Plastic kits are usually reasonably accurate, so try finding one and take your measurements from that. Oh, and if you want some real close-up detail photos of anything, PM me, as I work on these aircraft daily.
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Jan 03, 2009, 10:12 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7 Posts
Thanks Gordon. I just ordered the 1/144 scale from Revell. Here is a link to article by a guy who has one.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.co...evskiy/00.shtm

It looks pretty good and is probably as close to accurate scale as I'm going to find. Plus it is less than $25.00 so not much lost if it doesn't work out. I may take you up on this pics a little later on though.
RoJack1 is offline Find More Posts by RoJack1