HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 18, 2009, 01:32 PM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
I found the following really helpful when I started with the HK 450 at the beginning of the year (had virtually no heli expereince before that, just fixed wing experience):

Electric heli Beginners guide - good background on heli concepts etc http://www.swashplate.co.uk/html/ehbg.html

Horizon Hobby Align T-rex 450 SA Builders Guide - matches what you get out of the HK450 box pretty much exactly

http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...ARF_Manual.pdf

Finless Bob Videos - lots of great how to info (need to join helifreak) http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=11373

Ive also attached a locktighting guide and tools guide from a while back that may be of use
Lead Wings is offline Find More Posts by Lead Wings
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2009, 01:56 PM
NYC, NY
Joined Jul 2007
1,800 Posts
Anyone have any issues/problems with the HK tail shafts with the plastic pulley? They are not very expensive and come 2 to a package, and BOTH shafts have the pulley installed. The similar CopterX and EXI parts come 3 to a pack but only ONE has the pulley (metal) installed. Since I don't usually have any success in removing that pulley to reinstall on another shaft, I look at is as I only get 1 shaft per pack. So are these any good?
MrRetro is offline Find More Posts by MrRetro
Old Nov 18, 2009, 05:06 PM
guitarflyer
Joined Feb 2009
797 Posts
im using hxt900 servos.should i use the 15.mm lenght from center to ball joint
on the servo horn for hs-65
guitaramp68 is offline Find More Posts by guitaramp68
Old Nov 18, 2009, 05:20 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Be forewarned, the hardware really sucks badly and you will need some REALLY REALLY Good Allen wrenches to work the project.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Nov 18, 2009, 06:06 PM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2007
21 Posts
As I understand most radios have a 5 point or more throttle/pitch curve setting.
My radio only has 3 points. Is 3 points ok for the HK450 or should I buy a new radio?
Iím a total newbie to heliís so bear with me.
Foam Planes is offline Find More Posts by Foam Planes
Old Nov 18, 2009, 06:12 PM
Nuuk, Greenland
Joined Oct 2006
62 Posts
I use the GorillaProof(r) wrenches
JRexA is offline Find More Posts by JRexA
Old Nov 18, 2009, 06:26 PM
Piro-maniac
United States, FL, Winter Garden
Joined Feb 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foam Planes View Post
As I understand most radios have a 5 point or more throttle/pitch curve setting.
My radio only has 3 points. Is 3 points ok for the HK450 or should I buy a new radio?
Iím a total newbie to heliís so bear with me.
5 point curves are nice, though not strictly a necessity. Until you get good at hovering you probably won't feel too much that needs that intermediate point.

Even now all my curves (5-point) are set so that point 2 is equidistant from points 1 and 3 and point 4 is in the middle of points 3 and 5.

It's nice to have the flexibility to tweak if needed, but I haven't "needed" yet.

What radio do you have?
shizack is offline Find More Posts by shizack
Old Nov 18, 2009, 06:50 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRetro View Post
Anyone have any issues/problems with the HK tail shafts with the plastic pulley? They are not very expensive and come 2 to a package, and BOTH shafts have the pulley installed. The similar CopterX and EXI parts come 3 to a pack but only ONE has the pulley (metal) installed. Since I don't usually have any success in removing that pulley to reinstall on another shaft, I look at is as I only get 1 shaft per pack. So are these any good?
on the trex style shaft with an aluminum pully if you support the pully on somthing like a drilled piece of wood, the shaft will drive out fairly easily .. to re-install the pully on another shaft you can use red locktite or ive used jb weld to when installing the pully to a smooth shaft with a cutout relief , and then let it set up overnight. .. if the pully is tight on reinstallation use somthing like a socket that fits over it good and your piece wood again so the shaft tip doesnt get marred and tap it into place nice and slow, and hopefully you have another one to compare it to or remembered to measure how far on it was
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Last edited by dze; Nov 18, 2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:17 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
Be forewarned, the hardware really sucks badly and you will need some REALLY REALLY Good Allen wrenches to work the project.
I bought several align hardware kits, honestly, I like the HK450 screws better, they used Hex heads but the Align had crosspoint screwdriver heads. I used some of both but was impressed with the HK450 hardware. I've heard people complain about this before so not sure if I just got lucky
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:28 PM
five by five
Panama City Bch, FL
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
Quote:
i use a pinion puller to remove and a modified c-clamp to re-press. dze's wood method is probably easier on the aluminum.
sonicj is offline Find More Posts by sonicj
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:33 PM
Dyslexic crash pro!
Westminster, CO
Joined Jun 2008
1,558 Posts
Quote:
MrRetro,

I had to knurl and locktite the pulley to the tail shaft on my original parts. I was able to spin the tail rotor shaft while holding the main rotor still (and also with the tail drive, jack-shaft (a known problem with the earlier kits)). The shafts I've gotten since then have held pretty well.

You shouldn't have that much of a problem changing the metal pulley over on the other shafts (if you choose to go that way). Just support the pulley with a small deep socket and drive the old shaft out, then press the new shaft in. You can even tap the new shaft in with a hammer if you're careful.

I use an arbor press, but not everyone has one. You can use a drill press too if you have access to one.

/Dave
loopy1 is offline Find More Posts by loopy1
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:57 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
I bought several align hardware kits, honestly, I like the HK450 screws better, they used Hex heads but the Align had crosspoint screwdriver heads. I used some of both but was impressed with the HK450 hardware. I've heard people complain about this before so not sure if I just got lucky
Me too
I think it depends a lot on your tools, and making sure hex driver is fully in. I have no problem.
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:12 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,120 Posts
Quote:
Anyone have any issues/problems with the HK tail shafts with the plastic pulley?

I have not had any problems with the stock tail shaft/plastic pulley.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:17 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
What is the name brand of your hex head wrenches? I need to purchase a set.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:21 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
The Dynamite hex drivers are top notch, I have a set of them (1.5mm, 2.0mm, and 2.5mm), shafts are hardened steel and interchangeable in case they ever wear. You can find them on eBay at reduced prices. I use them frequently on all 450 hex head screws. No issues with stripping.

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN2904
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Closed Thread