Closed Thread
Old Nov 16, 2009, 05:23 PM
Must Fly!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Joined Mar 2008
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfreeflyer View Post
It will be much easier to hit that headspeed since the air is much less dense at those altitudes. For that headspeed, you'll need more main blade pitch to compensate... easily done without having to change the pinion. 12T pinion on a 3700KV motor will give you a higher head speed so you can use less pitch to maintain a hover, but your heli will be more touchy and responsive. Either 11T or 12T will probably work ok, you just need to find your preference. With less oxygen to your brain though, it may be tough to make the right decision.
Ok, since we are talking about too little oxygen (living in Colorado Springs) I need this explanation spelled out a little slower. Sorry, I have a double whammy. I used to live in Alabama. yea, I know.

So at 6,000 feet do I need more head speed or less head speed for my novice flying skills? I really do not need some super 3D acro heli. Just one to hover around my house without killing someone.

Sincerely,
Karl in Colorado
kilo2018 is offline Find More Posts by kilo2018
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2009, 05:43 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,384 Posts
Not too sure since I'm also new to helis, but usually when flying planes people will increase the pitch of the prop at higher altitudes. At higher altitudes, the air is much thinner. You're going to need more "bite" into the air to achieve what you can at sea-level. You can achieve this by increasing pitch, choosing longer blades, or increasing headspeed, or a combination of all three. Just experiment with these options until you hear from someone who has tried out high altitude heli flying. If you mess up with these options, and your heli can't even get off the ground, well then you really have nothing to worry about If your heli feels a little sluggish in main blade pitch, like when you jam the throttle up and the heli doesn't immediately climb, then you'll probably need to change your pitch curves around so you have some more bite into the air. If you find you need more than 12 degrees of pitch for any given situation, I'd try increasing the headspeed. You don't want to go with too much pitch because you don't want the airflow separating off the surface of your blades. At roughly sea-level, I'm hovering at about 3.75 degrees of pitch, with 2700 RPM headspeed.
gtfreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Old Nov 16, 2009, 06:22 PM
guitarflyer
Joined Feb 2009
796 Posts
anyone flying this with the HK 6ch.also should i keep the endpoint of the servos 100 or backing them down a little.i just want to hover for awhile.
i added the flybar weights does this help any for stabilaty.sorry about the 20 questions.
i see they have the all metal now i must have got lucky and they sent me one by mistake
guitaramp68 is offline Find More Posts by guitaramp68
Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:01 PM
Dyslexic crash pro!
Westminster, CO
Joined Jun 2008
1,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo2018 View Post
Ok, since we are talking about too little oxygen (living in Colorado Springs) I need this explanation spelled out a little slower. Sorry, I have a double whammy. I used to live in Alabama. yea, I know.

So at 6,000 feet do I need more head speed or less head speed for my novice flying skills? I really do not need some super 3D acro heli. Just one to hover around my house without killing someone.

Sincerely,
Karl in Colorado
Karl,

I live and fly at about 5700- 6000 ft. It'll fly fine with about 27-2800 rpm headspeed if you're not trying to really throw it around. I find it more stable at about 29-3000 though. Also more responsive with a higher headspeed. Not as mushy. For more stability, leave the flybar weights out as far as they go on the flybar. For more manuverability, take the flybar weights off.

/Dave

I used to live at 9300 ft. and work at 11000ft. This air is pretty thick down here....
loopy1 is online now Find More Posts by loopy1
Last edited by loopy1; Nov 16, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:28 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,384 Posts
Mountain sherpa?
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:54 PM
Dyslexic crash pro!
Westminster, CO
Joined Jun 2008
1,541 Posts
No, I worked at a hydro electric plant in the mountains. Now I work only a mile hi, in Denver (hence the move down here too) but I fly at our club near the foothills which is a little higher. Never flew anything way up there. I'll have to try it one of these days.
loopy1 is online now Find More Posts by loopy1
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:59 PM
Accelerist
Clinton, TN, USA
Joined Jul 2009
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaramp68 View Post
anyone flying this with the HK 6ch.also should i keep the endpoint of the servos 100 or backing them down a little.i just want to hover for awhile.
i added the flybar weights does this help any for stabilaty.sorry about the 20 questions.
i see they have the all metal now i must have got lucky and they sent me one by mistake
I found some great setup videos for the HK (or other FlySky re-labeleds) 6 channel 2.6 GHz radio and a Trex clone like the HK450: http://www.mikeysrc.com/Low-Cost-450-Heli.html
pidjones is offline Find More Posts by pidjones
Old Nov 16, 2009, 09:16 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
I found some great setup videos for the HK (or other FlySky re-labeleds) 6 channel 2.6 GHz radio and a Trex clone like the HK450: http://www.mikeysrc.com/Low-Cost-450-Heli.html
thank you, this is GREAT information. I am right at the point where I needed this.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:35 PM
have foam, will fly
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
I just got done with my first hover and used these videos and the manual for a first time build for me. Not sure what I would have done without these videos .

I used an simple rate gyro (PG-03) I had sitting around and it worked ok but didn't stop the slow drift, still an easy hover though. I'm waiting for my HH gyro before I attempt any real flying.
waqa is offline Find More Posts by waqa
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:38 PM
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,183 Posts
I ordered the MT version with the Typhoon 2215H motor just now. Should be a fun winter project getting my head back into CP setups. Maybe since this one cost less than one lipo did on my Voyager E, my knees won't knock..... Now to sell my mCX
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:19 AM
anarchist
Joined Jan 2008
6,907 Posts
Quote:
Ball links are included in the kits now. It even came with a few extra spares. I'm very happy with the Turnigy 2836, 3700KV motor for $17. I have an 11T pinion and I'm running my blades at 2700 RPM, governed by a CC45. I always get comments about how smooth the heli flies.
which battery are you using and what flight times are you getting?
this is my fav motor but it eats amps

Quote:
Are the MG14's okay to use for 3D flight?
yes

frac
frac is offline Find More Posts by frac
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:06 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frac View Post
which battery are you using and what flight times are you getting?
this is my fav motor but it eats amps
I use the Zippy FlightMax 2200mAh 30C packs. Hovering and flying circuits I fly for 8 minutes. I've never had to put back more than 1650 mAh into the pack. When I fly fast and do sport aerobatics, I'll fly for 6-7 minutes.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:16 AM
anarchist
Joined Jan 2008
6,907 Posts
Quote:
I use the Zippy FlightMax 2200mAh 30C packs. Hovering and flying circuits I fly for 8 minutes. I've never had to put back more than 1650 mAh into the pack. When I fly fast and do sport aerobatics, I'll fly for 6-7 minutes.
that's pretty good, i'll have to look into those flightmax. i get about 4-5 mins

frac
frac is offline Find More Posts by frac
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:08 PM
St. Louis
Joined Feb 2008
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frac View Post
that's pretty good, i'll have to look into those flightmax. i get about 4-5 mins

frac
20C 3S 2200mah $15.00 turnigys with the Typhoon 2215H and 11T pinon, if I'm just hovering around I can get about 10 1/2 mins of solid hovering with little power loss... I fly for about 8 mins of sport with mild 3D (couple tictocs, flips, inverted, piros,etc..).
T3beatz is offline Find More Posts by T3beatz
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:19 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3beatz View Post
I fly for about 8 mins of sport with mild 3D (couple tictocs, flips, inverted, piros,etc..).
Nice flight times. What is your headspeed?
Closed Thread