Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:25 AM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
843 Posts
Tail drive replacement. This is easier to do before assembly of any other parts or equipment installation.
hfenn is offline Find More Posts by hfenn
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:27 AM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
843 Posts
servo installation

I take the bottom off the HXT900 rather than the top like another member showed sometimes back. In the second pic you can also see the Rhino steel 13t pinion on the Align 430L motor.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:28 AM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfenn
Tail drive replacement. This is easier to do before assembly of any other parts or equipment installation.
WHat is the tooth count on that gear, Align color codes their gears now but i dont think HK has fallowed.

I believe they use the gear reduction wich yours looks right but thought ide ask just incase.
BowerR64 is offline Find More Posts by BowerR64
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:31 AM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
Quote:
I take the bottom off the HXT900 rather than the top like another member showed sometimes back. In the second pic you can also see the Rhino steel 13t pinion on the Align 430L motor.
Man i didnt do mine this way, that seems risky. Why would you risk damage to the servo?

I just loosen the screws to the frame and spread it open a little and slip it in from the top. I remove a few of the braces on the top also.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:47 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Agreed - I don't like disassembling servos to put them inside the HK-450 frame. Servos should be installed first, before anything else is done to the frame. The frame screws can easily be loosened and will allow just about any size micro servo to slip into the frame control-arm-first. Do not try sliding the entire servo case into the frame if you're using HXT-900's. They are too large and need to be filed down to install them that way. I found out the hard way after I broke a couple HXT-900 servos trying to get them into the frame case-first.

As for the tail drive replacement, that can be done at any time. It's easier to do it from the start, but you can easily loosen up the bearing block used for the tail drive and replace it fairly easily.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:01 AM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64
Man i didnt do mine this way, that seems risky. Why would you risk damage to the servo?

I just loosen the screws to the frame and spread it open a little and slip it in from the top. I remove a few of the braces on the top also.
I've been in R/C since 1982, have built/assembled over 200 planes and 10 helis. I have serviced/repaired many servos, make my living as a technician and have confidence in my abilities. I haven't "risked" damaging my servos. Besides, it's a $3 servo, not a $35 servo and I ordered a bunch of them. Although the screws on this HK are better than the first one I put together, they still are pretty soft and I would rather deal with the servo screws than the frame screws.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:03 AM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
843 Posts
Quote:
WHat is the tooth count on that gear, Align color codes their gears now but i dont think HK has fallowed.

I believe they use the gear reduction wich yours looks right but thought ide ask just incase.
25t on the blue gear 11t on the pulley.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:06 AM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb
As for the tail drive replacement, that can be done at any time. It's easier to do it from the start, but you can easily loosen up the bearing block used for the tail drive and replace it fairly easily.
I have an SA and SE as well as had an S, so I am fully aware of that. The SE comes with the metal pulley, but I've replaced the ones on the SA and S after they were built and flying for a while.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:08 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
I have an SA and SE as well as had an S, so I am fully aware of that. The SE comes with the metal pulley, but I've replaced the ones on the SA and S after they were built and flying for a while.
Nice - I'm hoping I won't need to replace the stock HK-450 tail drive, it's been behaving fine with no slipping, I've had 15-20 flights on it so far. I did order a couple of replacement tail drives (w/metal pulley) just in case. I haven't lubed the tail drive at all since "slipping" is the main issue there. It doesn't spin nearly as fast as the rotor head and main gears so I figure why bother with lube on the tail drive.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:19 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,267 Posts
Quote:
Besides, it's a $3 servo, not a $35 servo and I ordered a bunch of them. Although the screws on this HK are better than the first one I put together, they still are pretty soft and I would rather deal with the servo screws than the frame screws.
Totally agree. Servos aren't that fragile. Besides you have to take them apart if they ever strip gears anyway.. which I've done quite a few times as well . I was able to replace gearsets while the servo was still on the heli, hanging off to the side.

and as was noted, the servos were damaged by others when attempting to push them through the frame. And taking the frame apart is fine during the first build, but what about replacement or repair after it's all built?
rocketscience is online now Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:56 AM
United States, MO, Kingsville
Joined Nov 2001
1,635 Posts
I hope you guys can help me out. I have been flying a Honeybee FP for quite a while and am looking to move up, I can do everything that I want to do without crashing....and have a couple of questions.

1. Am I taking too big a jump in building something up like the HK450 or should I look to something that is RTF for my first CP heli?

2. If that is not too big a jump is there somewhere in this 200page thread that has everything I would need to get to get this thing in the air? and could someone point me in that direction.

I am not into 3D stuff at all, I want something that I can make VERY scale, with a realistic body. If there is a better choice that would be great as well.

Thanks.
cherokee is offline Find More Posts by cherokee
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:07 AM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
Quote:
I've been in R/C since 1982, have built/assembled over 200 planes and 10 helis. I have serviced/repaired many servos, make my living as a technician and have confidence in my abilities. I haven't "risked" damaging my servos. Besides, it's a $3 servo, not a $35 servo and I ordered a bunch of them. Although the screws on this HK are better than the first one I put together, they still are pretty soft and I would rather deal with the servo screws than the frame screws.
wow same here, my first R/C was a grass hopper in the 80s some time. wow have things changed. I can still remember using wind up dial chargers with i believe 11 or 1200 mah packs, HUMP packs! lol and mechanical esc's wow what junk

I dono its your stuff i guess i just think these servos are packed so tight that it could cause it to fail. I would of just opened the frame before the servo is all. I wondered when i looked at your images what you were doing with the servo apart in the frame.

We all do things a little different and i guess if it works for you then its all good. Sorry if i sounded rude.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:09 AM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,277 Posts
well, this hk450 is a good cheap way of getting your feet wet, heli without the radio and rx can run just about 120$ thats with battery/servo/gyro/motor/esc, and after you get yourself wet(hmmm......) then you get upgrade to a better heli and can still migrate all the electronics over if you wish!

all the necessary parts are listed under the hk450 page in hobbycity.com that is a good starting point of what you need to buy

pete
meanbaby is online now Find More Posts by meanbaby
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Polaris #58 control horn
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:11 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,267 Posts
Quote:
I wondered when i looked at your images what you were doing with the servo apart in the frame.

We all do things a little different and i guess if it works for you then its all good. Sorry if i sounded rude.
Oh yea those were my pictures. No worries! Didn't come off as rude (to me).. just wanted to state for the benefit of others that there was another option for installing/removing servos - esp when it comes to crash time. I'm all about saving time
rocketscience is online now Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:55 AM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
843 Posts
[QUOTE= We all do things a little different and i guess if it works for you then its all good. Sorry if i sounded rude.[/QUOTE]
No offense taken, I was just explaining my viewpoint.
Closed Thread