HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:27 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Kalispell, in the Rocky Mountains
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Barak1001 -

I do see what your saying. I havent had a problem with my align motor yet, it dosent have super climbout and it does loose rpm under heavy loads.

Do I mind, not really. I dont fly hardcore 3D, loops rolls, invereted hover all that stuff is fine and dandy.

Although I am wondering if I need to get a higher discharge battery. Im running that 2600mah 25c, and Im wondering if I should get a 2200 35c.

Here are my temps for todays flight:
Outside temp: 45 degrees
Motor Temp: 80 degrees
ESC temp: 65 degrees
Battery temp: 103 degrees

This was on a 15min flight, 10 mins of it was forward flight
That can fly?!? is offline Find More Posts by That can fly?!?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:42 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,404 Posts
I picked up some 2200 55C lipos cheap from hobbyparts. They are awsome batteries. Much more power than the turnigy nanos I was useing
There is also a company that is selling 2200 65C lipos and 2500 65C lipos. I am going to get a few of those to see how they are
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:44 PM
team sleprock
whiskykid's Avatar
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,248 Posts
wow sry FOR INSULTING YOUR inteligence!


didnt know you had to hav a PHD to use these forums.

I did graduate with a 3.45 gpa, but most of my classes where in shop,and math.

I have never been good at reading are writing.

from most of what I've read,there is alota nice people in these forums,willing ta help out some one new to the sport,aperentaly your not one of them.

just For Your Information! my job requires alota texting,so I am sorry my typing gets a little lazy!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:48 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
wow sry FOR INSULTING YOUR inteligence!


didnt know you had to hav a PHD to use these forums.

I did graduate with a 3.45 gpa, but most of my classes where in shop,and math.

I have never been good at reading are writing.

from most of what I've read,there is alota nice people in these forums,willing ta help out some one new to the sport,aperentaly your not one of them.

just For Your Information! my job requires alota texting,so I am sorry my typing gets a little lazy!
No worries. I graduated in the top 10% of my class and I cant spell or write worth a poo either. My wife and kids pick on me about it often
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Last edited by losifanatic; Nov 08, 2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 02:13 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Kalispell, in the Rocky Mountains
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
I hate spelling, lol
That can fly?!? is offline Find More Posts by That can fly?!?
Old Nov 08, 2010, 02:40 PM
Lord, teach me pa... *crash*
pastorJohn's Avatar
USA, ME, Caribou
Joined Jun 2008
32 Posts
A thought, for what it is worth...

I was going to leave this one alone, but I do want to say something here. Please take this as coming from care and not anger ...

I am 45 years old. I have used computers in both recreational and professional capacities since about 1980. I am by all measures somewhat of an old fart already. I work comfortably in my capacity as a Pastor in English and French. I am very vaguely familiar with some Hebrew and Aramaic as a part of my studies. I am acquiring a working knowledge of koine Greek. I recognize some Spanish, and can recognize some Latin. I understand that language is fluid, and that there are both norms and conventions withing any language group. A breach of these norms can be uncomfortable to those who value the particular language in question. However, language can also change with the using and changes radically sometimes within the span of a century or less.

In short, I understand that language is both static and dynamic.

Further, I use texting with my wife and children to communicate on a rare occasion, and I can easily recognize the shorthand. These are not new to texting, as email used many of the same abbreviations. Sorry, abbrevs.

While I understand that for some, such abbreviations in the forum may be disturbing and difficult, that is not the case for all of us. I understood whiskykid's post, I just didn't have an answer for him. I was not bothered by what was written.

On the other hand, I was bothered by replies such as "you need a whacking" and suggesting that "grown ups" don't use such terms and grammar. I genuinely hope that they were an attempt at humour and not a showing of contempt. However, they did come across as quite harsh in light of the original post. I see what we might term "poor" grammar frequently even from quite educated individuals and have simply learned to see through it to the intended message.

Poor use of the Queen's English is hardly a measure of one's education or even one's intelligence. At least it is a better measure of one's attention to one's own education rather than the level completed. However, harsh reactions do tend to make it likely that a person who is not strong in such basic language skills will feel afraid to put a post in this forum. This bothers me because of the generally genial tone of this forum.

I have found that this forum is a safe place to ask my questions without fear of terse replies like RT*M or "why don't you SEARCH THE THREAD BEFORE POSTING?" I have greatly appreciated the patient help, and was surprised as such replies.

To whiskykid: Please do keep asking. I hope you will keep hanging around. I am a newbie here and overall I think that you will find it a good place to get very helpful info.

My apologies for the long post. Happy flying. John
pastorJohn is offline Find More Posts by pastorJohn
Old Nov 08, 2010, 02:43 PM
Resident Skeptican
Barak1001's Avatar
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by That can fly?!? View Post
Barak1001 -

I do see what your saying. I havent had a problem with my align motor yet, it dosent have super climbout and it does loose rpm under heavy loads.

Do I mind, not really. I dont fly hardcore 3D, loops rolls, invereted hover all that stuff is fine and dandy.

Although I am wondering if I need to get a higher discharge battery. Im running that 2600mah 25c, and Im wondering if I should get a 2200 35c.

Here are my temps for todays flight:
Outside temp: 45 degrees
Motor Temp: 80 degrees
ESC temp: 65 degrees
Battery temp: 103 degrees

This was on a 15min flight, 10 mins of it was forward flight
Might be better just to not fly as long? The battery gets significantly hotter the longer you're in the air, since it has to put out more amperage as the voltage of the pack lowers over time to maintain the same engine rpm.

2600mah 25c = 65 amps
2200mah 35c = 77 amps

I'd be willing to bet your amperage draw isn't going over 30 amps the entire flight. Dropping down to a 2200mah battery is going to lower your flight times down to around 9 to 10 minutes maximum and your battery will most likely be just as hot at the end of the flight as it is at the end of your 15 minute flights now.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Nov 08, 2010, 02:51 PM
Resident Skeptican
Barak1001's Avatar
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorJohn View Post
On the other hand, I was bothered by replies such as "you need a whacking" and suggesting that "grown ups" don't use such terms and grammar. I genuinely hope that they were an attempt at humour and not a showing of contempt. However, they did come across as quite harsh in light of the original post. I see what we might term "poor" grammar frequently even from quite educated individuals and have simply learned to see through it to the intended message.

My apologies for the long post. Happy flying. John
I never once insulted his intelligence. I've been using computers now since since 1985 or so. My post was most definitely meant to be humorous, though also meant to explain why the person replied the way they did.

Saying that you are too lazy to use proper sentences or type in a way that can be understood by all is no excuse for doing it. The person in question had to have noticed that no one used text abbreviations in their posts.

This is the equivalent of someone from a foreign country expecting someone to have to learn their language to accommodate them. They should be willing to take the time and effort to learn the language of the country they are in, rather than expect everyone around them to cater to them.

Just like this person should be willing to take the time to make a clear and concise message that's easy to understand, so that other people can more readily help him.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Nov 08, 2010, 02:52 PM
Registered User
Sweden
Joined Jan 2010
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorJohn View Post
I was going to leave this one alone, but I do want to say something here. Please take this as coming from care and not anger ...

I am 45 years old. I have used computers in both recreational and professional capacities since about 1980. I am by all measures somewhat of an old fart already. I work comfortably in my capacity as a Pastor in English and French. I am very vaguely familiar with some Hebrew and Aramaic as a part of my studies. I am acquiring a working knowledge of koine Greek. I recognize some Spanish, and can recognize some Latin. I understand that language is fluid, and that there are both norms and conventions withing any language group. A breach of these norms can be uncomfortable to those who value the particular language in question. However, language can also change with the using and changes radically sometimes within the span of a century or less.

In short, I understand that language is both static and dynamic.

Further, I use texting with my wife and children to communicate on a rare occasion, and I can easily recognize the shorthand. These are not new to texting, as email used many of the same abbreviations. Sorry, abbrevs.

While I understand that for some, such abbreviations in the forum may be disturbing and difficult, that is not the case for all of us. I understood whiskykid's post, I just didn't have an answer for him. I was not bothered by what was written.

On the other hand, I was bothered by replies such as "you need a whacking" and suggesting that "grown ups" don't use such terms and grammar. I genuinely hope that they were an attempt at humour and not a showing of contempt. However, they did come across as quite harsh in light of the original post. I see what we might term "poor" grammar frequently even from quite educated individuals and have simply learned to see through it to the intended message.

Poor use of the Queen's English is hardly a measure of one's education or even one's intelligence. At least it is a better measure of one's attention to one's own education rather than the level completed. However, harsh reactions do tend to make it likely that a person who is not strong in such basic language skills will feel afraid to put a post in this forum. This bothers me because of the generally genial tone of this forum.

I have found that this forum is a safe place to ask my questions without fear of terse replies like RT*M or "why don't you SEARCH THE THREAD BEFORE POSTING?" I have greatly appreciated the patient help, and was surprised as such replies.

To whiskykid: Please do keep asking. I hope you will keep hanging around. I am a newbie here and overall I think that you will find it a good place to get very helpful info.

My apologies for the long post. Happy flying. John
Just want to point out something: not everyone reading this forum might text alot, or live in a country where english is normally spoken/written. Its bad to alienate "non-us" citizens, even though they are in majority.

On the other hand I would react the same way if my mother tongue was written in the same way.

It also not a big deal for me, really. I will just be less likely to interact with people writing posts like he is texting.
sandos is offline Find More Posts by sandos
Old Nov 08, 2010, 02:57 PM
team sleprock
whiskykid's Avatar
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,248 Posts
OK! back to the question at hand!

I did a bit more resaerch,on the 450sa,I found out it's the 450 sport v1,that has been assembled more,(so that means taking more of it apart ta check for thread lock)

it looks like the kit comes with everything but reciever and batt. BUT,1 guy seggests that you replace the head and tail unit with the exi metal replacement parts.

and then upgrade to kevlar belts,and the list goes on!

my first heli was a nightranger 3d,and from what I've read, if I can hover that thing I should be able ta fly most anything,(ok not anything)which I was able to do before the tail motor went south!

as I'm still a newb! I'm just looking 4 something cheap and reliable,that I can go from hover ta foward flight.

so would I be better off ordering ta hk450gt,and peicing the electrics together,are send the wifey down ta LHS to buy me the outdated 450sport v1 that just needs a radio!

sense booth my heli's I own are out dated,and i still can't really fly,my wife said if she is gonna buy me ANOTHER heli! that it can't be one that will be out dated befor I learn ta fly it,thats why I'm looking at the trex are trex clones,as it seems they'll be around for awhile!

thank you again! for your helpfull responses!

the KID!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's
Old Nov 08, 2010, 02:59 PM
AMA# 548800
jombo's Avatar
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorJohn View Post
I was going to leave this one alone, but I do want to say something here. Please take this as coming from care and not anger ...

I am 45 years old. I have used computers in both recreational and professional capacities since about 1980. I am by all measures somewhat of an old fart already. I work comfortably in my capacity as a Pastor in English and French. I am very vaguely familiar with some Hebrew and Aramaic as a part of my studies. I am acquiring a working knowledge of koine Greek. I recognize some Spanish, and can recognize some Latin. I understand that language is fluid, and that there are both norms and conventions withing any language group. A breach of these norms can be uncomfortable to those who value the particular language in question. However, language can also change with the using and changes radically sometimes within the span of a century or less.

In short, I understand that language is both static and dynamic.

Further, I use texting with my wife and children to communicate on a rare occasion, and I can easily recognize the shorthand. These are not new to texting, as email used many of the same abbreviations. Sorry, abbrevs.

While I understand that for some, such abbreviations in the forum may be disturbing and difficult, that is not the case for all of us. I understood whiskykid's post, I just didn't have an answer for him. I was not bothered by what was written.

On the other hand, I was bothered by replies such as "you need a whacking" and suggesting that "grown ups" don't use such terms and grammar. I genuinely hope that they were an attempt at humour and not a showing of contempt. However, they did come across as quite harsh in light of the original post. I see what we might term "poor" grammar frequently even from quite educated individuals and have simply learned to see through it to the intended message.

Poor use of the Queen's English is hardly a measure of one's education or even one's intelligence. At least it is a better measure of one's attention to one's own education rather than the level completed. However, harsh reactions do tend to make it likely that a person who is not strong in such basic language skills will feel afraid to put a post in this forum. This bothers me because of the generally genial tone of this forum.

I have found that this forum is a safe place to ask my questions without fear of terse replies like RT*M or "why don't you SEARCH THE THREAD BEFORE POSTING?" I have greatly appreciated the patient help, and was surprised as such replies.

To whiskykid: Please do keep asking. I hope you will keep hanging around. I am a newbie here and overall I think that you will find it a good place to get very helpful info.

My apologies for the long post. Happy flying. John
this is funny and dont usually post when there is a confrontation but just for fun and to lighten the mood here

i am 40 and dont text or up till 3 years ago never had a cell phone . why , because i dont ever use one or if i need one i will call from a payphone or someone elses cell phone , besides i dont want to be found .

pastorJohn now that i know you can translate texting i will hope you could be the translater of so posts for me . but dont think i am tec illiterate , i worked for motorola for 10 years went for electrical engeneering , got bored and went to get my electicans licence can fix just about anything and build anything , but dont ask me to write a program its not my strong suit .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Nov 08, 2010, 03:10 PM
Resident Skeptican
Barak1001's Avatar
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
OK! back to the question at hand!

I did a bit more resaerch,on the 450sa,I found out it's the 450 sport v1,that has been assembled more,(so that means taking more of it apart ta check for thread lock)

it looks like the kit comes with everything but reciever and batt. BUT,1 guy seggests that you replace the head and tail unit with the exi metal replacement parts.

and then upgrade to kevlar belts,and the list goes on!

my first heli was a nightranger 3d,and from what I've read, if I can hover that thing I should be able ta fly most anything,(ok not anything)which I was able to do before the tail motor went south!

as I'm still a newb! I'm just looking 4 something cheap and reliable,that I can go from hover ta foward flight.

so would I be better off ordering ta hk450gt,and peicing the electrics together,are send the wifey down ta LHS to buy me the outdated 450sport v1 that just needs a radio!

sense booth my heli's I own are out dated,and i still can't really fly,my wife said if she is gonna buy me ANOTHER heli! that it can't be one that will be out dated befor I learn ta fly it,thats why I'm looking at the trex are trex clones,as it seems they'll be around for awhile!

thank you again! for your helpfull responses!

the KID!
Trex 450SA is all plastic, you will destroy the tail more than likely first crash, and the ball linkages tend to rip out of the main blade grips in a crash.

Replacement parts for it are EXPENSIVE. The pitch control arm for the tail (that will break most likely every crash) costs $5 alone and it's just a few grams of plastic! The blade grips that strip out almost every crash cost $15 if ordered in a crash repair kit.

I would buy an HK450MT before I'd ever think about a Trex 450SA. Unless it's been upgraded to CNC and is a really good deal there's just no way to justify the expense. Considering that you are relatively new to the hobby, stick with cheap helicopters that have cheap repair parts that are easy to find.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Nov 08, 2010, 03:22 PM
AMA# 548800
jombo's Avatar
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
OK! back to the question at hand!

I did a bit more resaerch,on the 450sa,I found out it's the 450 sport v1,that has been assembled more,(so that means taking more of it apart ta check for thread lock)

it looks like the kit comes with everything but reciever and batt. BUT,1 guy seggests that you replace the head and tail unit with the exi metal replacement parts.

and then upgrade to kevlar belts,and the list goes on!

my first heli was a nightranger 3d,and from what I've read, if I can hover that thing I should be able ta fly most anything,(ok not anything)which I was able to do before the tail motor went south!

as I'm still a newb! I'm just looking 4 something cheap and reliable,that I can go from hover ta foward flight.

so would I be better off ordering ta hk450gt,and peicing the electrics together,are send the wifey down ta LHS to buy me the outdated 450sport v1 that just needs a radio!

sense booth my heli's I own are out dated,and i still can't really fly,my wife said if she is gonna buy me ANOTHER heli! that it can't be one that will be out dated befor I learn ta fly it,thats why I'm looking at the trex are trex clones,as it seems they'll be around for awhile!

thank you again! for your helpfull responses!

the KID!
get the hk 450 pro, you will be up to date for a long time.
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Nov 08, 2010, 03:36 PM
team sleprock
whiskykid's Avatar
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
Trex 450SA is all plastic, you will destroy the tail more than likely first crash, and the ball linkages tend to rip out of the main blade grips in a crash.

Replacement parts for it are EXPENSIVE. The pitch control arm for the tail (that will break most likely every crash) costs $5 alone and it's just a few grams of plastic! The blade grips that strip out almost every crash cost $15 if ordered in a crash repair kit.

I would buy an HK450MT before I'd ever think about a Trex 450SA. Unless it's been upgraded to CNC and is a really good deal there's just no way to justify the expense. Considering that you are relatively new to the hobby, stick with cheap helicopters that have cheap repair parts that are easy to find.
thank you very much! thats excactly the info I was looking for!

I apologize to all those that hafta read through the nonses,cuased by my lazy-ness, that are looking for help in this thread!

the KID! P.s. I'm 47 yrs old,and use my computer mostly for navigation,movies,flying my sim now,and reading these forums for aid in my new hobbie,if I'd found these forums 10 yrs ago I'd be flying my nexus 30 nitro already! and wouldn't be such a newb!

P.P.s.s ok the choise has been made! hk450pro, now I'm probly gonna get rib'd for this one,but for buck and 1/2 more and I assume less maintence wouldn't the TT version be a better choice are do u break that many more parts in a crash then with a belt drive? thanks again!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by whiskykid; Nov 08, 2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: choice has been made
Old Nov 08, 2010, 04:56 PM
Things that do fly
Magic k2's Avatar
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
thank you very much! thats excactly the info I was looking for!

I apologize to all those that hafta read through the nonses,cuased by my lazy-ness, that are looking for help in this thread!

the KID! P.s. I'm 47 yrs old,and use my computer mostly for navigation,movies,flying my sim now,and reading these forums for aid in my new hobbie,if I'd found these forums 10 yrs ago I'd be flying my nexus 30 nitro already! and wouldn't be such a newb!

P.P.s.s ok the choise has been made! hk450pro, now I'm probly gonna get rib'd for this one,but for buck and 1/2 more and I assume less maintence wouldn't the TT version be a better choice are do u break that many more parts in a crash then with a belt drive? thanks again!
do have to say that being such a noob you might be better off getting a fp heli to get good with the sticks before a 450,,there is a lot of setup with a 450 and lots of peeps get fed up quite fast after a few crashes,maybe a walkera cb180 might be better choice right now ? just a thought
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zagi-Flash5x-EPA have to be same for aileron and elevators Balin Foamies (Kits) 2 Sep 10, 2001 08:04 PM
Will CP 1300 cells be ok for this? Steve H. Power Systems 15 Jul 17, 2001 09:01 AM
Home for a 450 Turbo dezflyer Electric Plane Talk 6 May 31, 2001 01:04 AM
Will the new CP1300's be suitable for this? Slope Nut Power Systems 3 May 21, 2001 02:19 PM
Soarstar what mods. need to be done for a succesful flight? JEWINE Foamies (Kits) 10 May 06, 2001 08:36 PM