SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 06, 2010, 06:13 PM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
about 40 flights nothing replaced yet. have a hankering for shaft drive though. make sure to locktite the tail shaft bolts in nice and tight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
I have one and the stock parts are working great. My main shaft was bent from day one but other than that its solid. It has about 100 flights on it from me and my brother
Thanks! Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Why ? I have a clone 450 and it is Align compatible .. but why pay out such money when the clone parts do the job at far less cost ?

OK - if you are serious about 3D and high stress flying - but then you wouldn't buy a cheap clone would you ?

My idea is to replace with cheap clone parts while crashing and learning. Later if Align part is actually better, one-way shaft I know is, then I will fit it then when my flying is more proficient and worthy of spending the extra on.
I remember that with original HK you needed proper feathering shaft and tail gear, and 250 belt, too...

Somehow I'm not sure if my main shaft is 100 straight, but it will do for now...
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2010, 11:17 PM
Lord, teach me pa... *crash*
USA, ME, Caribou
Joined Jun 2008
32 Posts
Quick question: For an HK 450MT, what do I need for a feathering shaft and a tail rotor shaft? I put mine into the ground HARD today, and I am not sure what the compatible parts are. HK parts are backorder, so I need to look around. Suggestions, pointers please? Thanks from the noob.
pastorJohn is offline Find More Posts by pastorJohn
Old Nov 06, 2010, 11:27 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorJohn View Post
Quick question: For an HK 450MT, what do I need for a feathering shaft and a tail rotor shaft? I put mine into the ground HARD today, and I am not sure what the compatible parts are. HK parts are backorder, so I need to look around. Suggestions, pointers please? Thanks from the noob.
Just search ebay for "trex 450 tail shaft", "trex 450 feathering shaft", etc. There are plenty available. Just do a careful look and see what other bits are broken, bent or loose. If you have a bent main shaft and blade grips also, might be easier to buy a whole head assembly and/or tail assembly.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Nov 06, 2010, 11:53 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorJohn View Post
Check out xheli, their parts are compatable with it.
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Nov 06, 2010, 11:54 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,524 Posts
There are 3 different types of feathering shafts depending on the 450 model:

http://www.helidirect.com/advanced_s...hering&x=0&y=0

HS1003 for 450X
HS1251 for 450SE v2
H45051A for 450Pro and Sport

Which one is the HK450MT using - I have no clue. I have a HK450Pro and the 450Pro/Sport feathering shaft is a perfect fit for it. Sorry I couldn't be of much help.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2010, 12:14 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
There are 3 different types of feathering shafts depending on the 450 model:

http://www.helidirect.com/advanced_s...hering&x=0&y=0

HS1003 for 450X
HS1251 for 450SE v2
H45051A for 450Pro and Sport

Which one is the HK450MT using - I have no clue. I have a HK450Pro and the 450Pro/Sport feathering shaft is a perfect fit for it. Sorry I couldn't be of much help.
Good point. The MT is the v2.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Nov 07, 2010, 12:18 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Just search ebay for "trex 450 tail shaft", "trex 450 feathering shaft", etc. There are plenty available. Just do a careful look and see what other bits are broken, bent or loose. If you have a bent main shaft and blade grips also, might be easier to buy a whole head assembly and/or tail assembly.
Not so easy ... Trex feathering shafts went from 3mm to 4mm ... plus dampers etc. etc.

Get measuring and be sure ! Trex 450se V2 main shaft is 5mm x 116mm, feathering shaft is 4mm x 41mm (incl. the smaller 3mm ends).
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Nov 07, 2010, 02:02 PM
USA, ME, Caribou
Joined Jun 2008
32 Posts
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Not so easy ... Trex feathering shafts went from 3mm to 4mm ... plus dampers etc. etc.

Get measuring and be sure ! Trex 450se V2 main shaft is 5mm x 116mm, feathering shaft is 4mm x 41mm (incl. the smaller 3mm ends).
Thanks so much! I couldn't find the compatibility info. Now I can hunt for parts. This thread is a Huge help. My appreciation goes to all who help here.

John
Old Nov 07, 2010, 02:54 PM
USA, ME, Caribou
Joined Jun 2008
32 Posts
My crash

Uploaded my crash video to Youtube. My daughter caught it for me on her camera. At about 1:30 + it rolls right and in.

This happened despite full left stick to roll out. My thought is that the teeth in the servo gears were going in-flight, and they lost it with the servo arm in a low position. That meant they kept getting lower and could not allow me to aileron roll left. I am pretty sure that also meant that as I added throttle and raised the collective, the left servo raised the swash while the right was no longer able, rolling right. Pretty soon it just rolled over and went in.

I am a noob after three years of slowly learning heli flight on my own. I admit it freely. However, I do have enough stick time from long ago to know that my thumbs did not roll it that way.

Lesson learned: decent servos save (some) repairs. A good afternoon to you. Enjoy flying while I wait for parts in the mail.

John

Hard crash for HK450 (1 min 49 sec)
Last edited by pastorJohn; Nov 07, 2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: added a thought, checked Youtube URL
Old Nov 07, 2010, 04:30 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,877 Posts
What were the bad servos ?
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Nov 07, 2010, 05:25 PM
USA, ME, Caribou
Joined Jun 2008
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
What were the bad servos ?
Esky 9g digital servos. I have three of them on the swash. For now, until I can afford to replace them, they will have to remain. My suspicion is that the gears were already starting to go. I built the HK450 because I had put my Honey Bee King V2 into the ground and sheared a part of the CNC head. I never thought to stop and open up the servos to check the condition of the gears after the crash. I am just thankful that I had bought spare gear sets on sale a couple of years ago.

I replaced the whole set of gears on the bad servo yesterday. As soon as I can finish putting it back together, I may test hop it. I suspect that I will have to change the feathering shaft and the tail rotor shaft or there will be too much vibration. However, a short hop will tell me more.

I would love to just replace all of the servos, but so far my budget is stretched too far as is and I have to keep this hobby on the cheap as much as possible. So far I still do little enough that I can get away with calling this a hobby rather than an obsession. So far, anyway. Keep well.
Old Nov 07, 2010, 05:42 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,877 Posts
I was getting ready to test some HXT-900's, they are only $3 each plus shipping. From what I hear , they are much better. Those servos you mentioned are somewhat known for sudden failure. I heard complaints about them 2 years ago when flying 300 sized CP's and FP's.

The damage from bad servos would easily end up over costing what the new servos are.
Old Nov 07, 2010, 06:14 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Kalispell, in the Rocky Mountains
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
I wouldnt run cheap servos. I bought a used Trex 450 V2 and it had those $2 servos.

I was waiting for my new digital spektrum servos, metal gear ect ect ect.

I flew it in a gym for about 15min doing circuts and nose in hover, side hover. Charged it up, went outside to do some 3D and a aileron servo locked up when it was hovering, rolled over and blew up
That can fly?!? is offline Find More Posts by That can fly?!?
Old Nov 07, 2010, 06:33 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Spektrum is a brand name, and they don't make servos.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Nov 07, 2010, 06:56 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,877 Posts
I don't know what the life of HS-65HB's are on a cyclic but I'm up into 1,500+ on an old Walkera 36, only about 75g less than a 450. I ended up borrowing them for a few hundred airplane flights and recently decided they go back on the old Walkera 36 because for reasons I don't know, I get about 20% more flight time on it than my MX400's.

I'm either getting an HK or EXI 450. And that's probably going to obsolete on me and I'll be stuck for parts again.
Last edited by Chophop; Nov 07, 2010 at 08:19 PM.
Closed Thread