SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:00 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
All the brushless motors run on a 450 are outrunner motors.

The ESC has settings in order to set it up for an outrunner, but it's fully capable of pushing a 3600kv motor.

Edit:

Here are the default settings for a Superbrain from the factory:

LVC - 5.0V
Current Limiting - Standard
Brake Type - No brake
Timing Advance - Auto
Cutoff Type - Hard cutoff
Start Type - Standard
Governor Mode - Auto Governor
PWM Rate - 8KHz

Here's what the settings should look like to push most outrunner motors:

LVC - Auto
Current Limiting - Disabled
Brake Type - No brake
Timing Advance - Low
Cutoff Type - Soft cutoff
Start Type - Soft start
PWM Rate - 16KHz

Notice every single setting on the ESC needs to be changed before you try to fly a chopper with it on 3s, except for the brake setting and governor.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Last edited by Barak1001; Oct 22, 2010 at 09:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:07 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
I talked to a flight school instructor the other day, and I told him about my dilema with my 250s. I told him I had no problems doing ("short arcs") endles aileron tic tocs on my 450 with out losing altitude, but i found it daunting that I couldn't perform the same thing on my 250. He told me I had poor collective management. He told me mortal men like us struggle to do aileron tic tocs with short arcs. But give your 250 to Bert K, and he will show you aileron tic tocs. So I asked him How can I learn to have good collective management. He told me It takes years to learn! Damn.

So my quest in building the most powerful 250 has come to an end. A new quest has risen for me..."Proper Collective Management"
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Last edited by pitchp; Oct 22, 2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:15 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,226 Posts
this is why i will stick with a programming card esc i dont need more stress flying a egg beater .
i am just learning flips and inverted hovering , wont try it on the real thing yet but the sim has a instant rebuild built in lol .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:19 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Different ESC come with different defaults. Even the Phoenix series of ESC that everyone raves over come by default in Airplane mode and aren't setup properly to fly a chopper.

I definitely hate stick banging to program an ESC, but the Turnigy ESC have one of the easiest stick banging menus out there to mess with. The Hobbyking SS/Mystery ESC on the other hand give me headaches thinking about programming one.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:23 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
All the brushless motors run on a 450 are outrunner motors.

The ESC has settings in order to set it up for an outrunner, but it's fully capable of pushing a 3600kv motor.

Edit:

Here are the default settings for a Superbrain from the factory:

LVC - 5.0V
Current Limiting - Standard
Brake Type - No brake
Timing Advance - Auto
Cutoff Type - Hard cutoff
Start Type - Standard
PWM Rate - 8KHz

Here's what the settings should look like to push most outrunner motors:

LVC - Auto
Current Limiting - Disabled
Brake Type - No brake
Timing Advance - Low
Cutoff Type - Soft cutoff
Start Type - Soft start
PWM Rate - 16KHz
I thought for high current applications, current limiting would've been almost a no-brainer "have to have" feature, especially in the year 2010!

Reasons: to prevent LiPo, ESC, and/or Motor meltdowns?

I'd agree to pay a little extra for that feature. Wouldn't having an inconvenient soft recoverable shut down, be much better than having an expensive hard permanent shut down?
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:25 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Current limiting isn't advisable on a heli because it actually monitors for spikes and shuts down the ESC when they happen.

On a plane it's a good thing, on helicopter when you're doing tic tocs with rapid cyclic and load changes, not so much.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:30 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,226 Posts
dont get me wrong , i wont buy a overpriced castle esc , just the bec because i know there reliable . i have great luck with the sentry and plush esc's by turngy. they both havent let me down in flight and are reasonably priced. i really dont need alot of features in a esc , i just need it to work . if i need to pay more money for one it better fly the heli too when i give it the wrong input.
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:36 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
anyone here using this? http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-11...l-Servo/Detail

short review about this servo as a cyclic servo?

also it mentions that i can choose to have metal gears as oppossed to carbon poly? which one is the best out of the two?

many thanks
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:43 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
By choosing they mean they have four different models of the same servo, three come with light metal gears and one with carbon poly.

I've flown the DS11-GCB on my tail for months now, the best tail servo I've owned to date. If the quality of the DS09 is similar I'd say they'd make great cyclic servos, but pay attention to the numbers the AMD version is the highest torque of the 4 servos, but it's also the slowest.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:46 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
i c

thank you
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:50 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
By choosing they mean they have four different models of the same servo, three come with light metal gears and one with carbon poly.

I've flown the DS11-GCB on my tail for months now, the best tail servo I've owned to date. If the quality of the DS09 is similar I'd say they'd make great cyclic servos, but pay attention to the numbers the AMD version is the highest torque of the 4 servos, but it's also the slowest.
I have a weight factor issue. carbon poly is lighter than metal gears? I've never seen or felt a carbon poly before.

so cp version would weigh the same as the light metal gear version?? I'm a bit lost there
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:53 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
It's much lighter than metal, but almost every time you crash you'll wind up having to replace at least one gear set on your servos.

I fly HS65-HB for my cyclic that are carbon poly. So far I've had to replace 6 gear sets since I started flying the chopper. Normally I have 2 servos strip out in every single crash. The gear sets are pretty expensive even in carbon poly, around $6 a piece shipped.

Metal gears tend to strip out far less often.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:54 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
kool thanks barak
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:59 PM
Fix, Fix, Fly, Fix, Fix, Fly
Colorado
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
Anyone tried this Turnigy ESC? I'm thinking of buying either this one or the plush 40A.

Ethan
mountainsax is offline Find More Posts by mountainsax
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:23 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
would like to point out a couple things in this onboard from a few days ago..

2010 1018 450 onboard (5 min 26 sec)

Couple responses to ESC and running 4S:

1) Soft start. I started in idle up. Takes about 9 seconds to get to full speed. K-force 40A. I've owned the plush, mystery, super simple. k-force is the way to go and once I convert the 500 I will be 100% on the k-force except the trex pro.

2) This heli is on an 1800ma 4S. Note the flight time on the video. Before I converted I was getting about 4:30-4:45 on 3S. Now I get 5:30, if I fly a little milder maybe almost 6 minutes. 2700kv motor + 13T

3) also, not answering anyone's question but this heli happens to have a torque tube (it's a v2 still though). 1 of the front umbrella gears has a slight notch in it when I messed with it. Hence the noise and vibration in the video. I'm just too lazy to switch it out.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Closed Thread