HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 22, 2010, 04:00 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,082 Posts
Oh, I'm sorry.

After re-reading y'all's posts, I now realize y'all already knew what I was trying to say.

Y'all are saying the problem y'all are experiencing is NOT due to the BEC (both of you have a seperate dedicated adequate BEC), that the problem is with the 40A ESC portion, because it can't handle the heat, and goes into thermal shutoff.

If so, I hope y'all post negative reviews in the HK product's review section, so others don't have to learn the same thing the difficult way.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Oct 22, 2010 at 04:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2010, 04:04 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
i dont know know if thats directed at me or what but im running a seperate bec.
CG: I use this in all my hk450s, they never heatup on me. I had to threadlock all the screws on the heatsink. Nice ESC for the $$$. THere's no softstart(there is but not as soft as it should be). But it's a damn hardy ESC. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9299

Also did you set your end points? sounds like your programming on the ESC is fubared. Reprogram
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Last edited by pitchp; Oct 22, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 05:45 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
It does maybe you guys can help me make sense of the instructions...

here's the specs, I wonder if these are at sub zero temps!

Spec.
Constant Current: 40A **** <- LIES!!!!
Burst Current: 50A *** yea right
Battery: 2-3S Lipoly
BEC: 5V/2A Linear

Here's the manual. Its pretty short and fairly well writtend. Settings details at end.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...40A_online.pdf

Current Limiting
NOTE: Default setting is recommended. If you change the setting, damage to the controller as a result of over
current will be not covered by the manufacturer’s warranty.
· Brake Type
Option 1: Very Sensitivity
Low over-current threshold, will rapidly shut-down.
Option 2:Standard(default)
Moderate over-current threshold, will shut down after a slight delay.
Recommended for inrunner motors.
Option 3:Insensitivity
High over-current threshold, will shut down after a slight delay.
Recommended for outrunner motors. Only experienced modelers
should use this programming feature
Option 4: disabled
Current limiting detection disabled. Only experienced modelers
should use this programming feature.
i didnt read the whole thread so if someone already said it sorry .
here is your problem , the 2 amp bec its no good you need at least 3 minimum. check all your servos and gyro and add up all the amp draw, if your at around half the amp of the bec its too low . i use the sentury or the plush tungy with a 3 amp bec and never had a problem even with the digital servos .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Oct 22, 2010, 05:58 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,156 Posts
i forgot to ask what esc is it , is it the one with the purple heat sink on it ? that one is nortorios to be a bad one and will always shut down . the turngy sentry and plush have a metal heat sink under the heatshrink , they could come loose and short out across the motor lead board . what i did with mine i put rubber silicone across all the contacts on the board and re taped the shrink on .
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:18 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Oh, I'm sorry.

After re-reading y'all's posts, I now realize y'all already knew what I was trying to say.

Y'all are saying the problem y'all are experiencing is NOT due to the BEC (both of you have a seperate dedicated adequate BEC), that the problem is with the 40A ESC portion, because it can't handle the heat, and goes into thermal shutoff.

If so, I hope y'all post negative reviews in the HK product's review section, so others don't have to learn the same thing the difficult way.
Neither one of them is experiencing thermal shutdown. As far as I know there's no thermal shutdown circuit in a Turnigy Superbrain. What they are experiencing is current limiting, because the ESC by default is setup for an airplane.

Once they switch off current limiting the ESC should run fine with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
i forgot to ask what esc is it , is it the one with the purple heat sink on it ? that one is nortorios to be a bad one and will always shut down . the turngy sentry and plush have a metal heat sink under the heatshrink , they could come loose and short out across the motor lead board . what i did with mine i put rubber silicone across all the contacts on the board and re taped the shrink on .
The ESC in question is a Turnigy 40a Superbrain, but I've flown the H40A (the purple one) on my own personal chopper and know several people that fly them on theirs. No one I know personally has had an issue with it shutting down.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:22 PM
Bradford, UK
Joined Sep 2010
99 Posts
Any reason not to move to 4s packs? I use a 3s 2200mAh pack currently but my ESC and motor will both take 4s. I can get an 1800mAh 4s pack which weighs the same as my 3s.

I'm using an 11T with a 3550kv motor, I figure this would give me a headspeed of well over 3000. Are there any drawbacks?
jagsta is offline Find More Posts by jagsta
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:23 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
that could explain what happened to jombo with his purple ESC, he doesn't know how to program it?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:06 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsta View Post
Any reason not to move to 4s packs? I use a 3s 2200mAh pack currently but my ESC and motor will both take 4s. I can get an 1800mAh 4s pack which weighs the same as my 3s.

I'm using an 11T with a 3550kv motor, I figure this would give me a headspeed of well over 3000. Are there any drawbacks?
i use 4s. 1800ma 4s is perfect esp if you have a mini servo on the tail. However a 3500kv motor is too much. 2700kv is perfect with 13t. 3000kv is OK if you use 11t.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:10 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
Neither one of them is experiencing thermal shutdown. As far as I know there's no thermal shutdown circuit in a Turnigy Superbrain. What they are experiencing is current limiting, because the ESC by default is setup for an airplane.

Once they switch off current limiting the ESC should run fine with no issues.

The ESC in question is a Turnigy 40a Superbrain, but I've flown the H40A (the purple one) on my own personal chopper and know several people that fly them on theirs. No one I know personally has had an issue with it (thermally <taken out of context, so I added the context) shutting down.
Wow, I'm super confused now.

All overcurrent problems I recall coming across, were problems of the "system" not being able tolerate the heat being produced. Meaning: because of excessive current, there is excessive heat, which in turn causes mechanical stress (some times permanent), which inturn causes electrical problems.

IMO: An advertised 40A device should work 100% of the time UP to 40A, guaranteed!! If programmable current limiting is advertised, as a minimum feature it should allow 40A current limiting. Also, unless they specify to "Bring Your Own" Heatsink or Fan, then it should work at 40A in ambient (27*C?) Temperature without airflow.

I bought and received the Mystery 40/4A ESC/BEC (the Plush 40/3 A was/still is out of stock), and don't recall it comming with literature. I suppose maybe if it came with literature there would be a possiblilty of fine print stating it is only able to work when attached to a massive heatsink, inside a freezer, with jet air flow blowing across it?

I'm a newbie, so I probably should keep my mouth shut, and watch in amazement.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:12 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsta View Post

you will have 2-3 mins flight time? as oppossed to your 6-8 min flight time.

Increased HS reduces torque. your climbouts will be weak. You're better off with a motor with high torque and then increase the HS.

You'll need a governor to maintain that constant desired HS you want.

Calculated HS @ 100% throttle 3314

but your average will be about 2800-2900 HS. Unless you fly flat 100% T/C

Barak will know. I'm not sure about that setup
Last edited by pitchp; Oct 22, 2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:19 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Wow, I'm super confused now.

All overcurrent problems I recall coming across, were problems of the "system" not being able tolerate the heat being produced. Meaning: because of excessive current, there is excessive heat, which in turn causes mechanical stress (some times permanent), which inturn causes electrical problems.

IMO: An advertised 40A device should work 100% of the time UP to 40A, guaranteed!! If programmable current limiting is advertised, as a minimum feature it should allow 40A current limiting. Also, unless they specify to "Bring Your Own" Heatsink or Fan, then it should work at 40A in ambient (27*C?) Temperature without airflow.

I bought and received the Mystery 40/4A ESC/BEC (the Plush 40/3 A was/still is out of stock), and don't recall it comming with literature. I suppose maybe if it came with literature there would be a possiblilty of fine print stating it is only able to work when attached to a massive heatsink, inside a freezer, with jet air flow blowing across it?

I'm a newbie, so I probably should keep my mouth shut, and watch in amazement.
I'm also a newbie, but it's good to contribute. We're all part of the same team
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:36 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
that could explain what happened to jombo with his purple ESC, he doesn't know how to program it?
never had it , just read horror stories about it on here. i program mine with the card , its definitly worth the 7.00 . besides i wont run a heli with a esc less than 3 amp bec , if i cant find one i run a castle creations 5 amp bec . the only time i had a motor shut down on me mid flight was when i had a cold solder joint on one of the bullet connectors . the connector had more resistance than the other phases and would loose power .
theres a thought , check your connectors .
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:41 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
never had it , just read horror stories about it on here. i program mine with the card , its definitly worth the 7.00 . besides i wont run a heli with a esc less than 3 amp bec , if i cant find one i run a castle creations 5 amp bec . the only time i had a motor shut down on me mid flight was when i had a cold solder joint on one of the bullet connectors . the connector had more resistance than the other phases and would loose power .
theres a thought , check your connectors .
Well jombo, I have 4 of them. I must admit, the soft start on that ESC is weak. It's soft but it's not very soft. The screws for the Heatsink is not threadlocked, you have to threadlock it. That's the down side. But the good side, it never overheats. Even on my powerful setup. I have this on my HK's and on my belt cp v2. They are wonderful ESC, it's very basic to use. And for $9 it a Bang for buck!

I must admit there is no features that you would find in a CC or a mini jazz, but it does the job for me. And others here aswell.

and you can't program this with a card, some features will work, but some wont. If you do try to program this with a card, you're heli will operate in an unpredictable manner. This is what I experienced with it. So I just listen to the beeps... beeps... beeps...
Last edited by pitchp; Oct 22, 2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:44 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
I thread locked the screws in the one I had immediately when I got it. I flew it for a while and then sold it to someone else when I got a Phoenix 35a on a used chopper. As far as I know the person I sold the H40A to is still flying it today.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
Barak will know. I'm not sure about that setup
While I appreciate the shout out, I'm no expert on 450 choppers at all. I have picked up a thing or two here and there, but I still manage to learn something new every day.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:56 PM
USA, FL, Poinciana
Joined Jul 2008
86 Posts
Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. The esc in question recommends using an outrunner motor. That's because it can't exceed so many "kv" of a motor. I think it says 2000kv. The esc can't handle the speed of the motor. It could however handle 40 amps just fine in the right application. That's why it's great for parkflyer planes. I have one in a Mini Ultra Stick with a 1200kv motor and all is well. Happy flying!!
rewstad is offline Find More Posts by rewstad
Closed Thread