Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Oct 17, 2010, 08:14 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2010
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsta View Post
+1 - the metal components on the tarot kits seem to be better made than the HK, not seen the EXI stuff. My next heli will be the tarot 450 pro, having experienced the quality of the tarot parts I think it'll be a better made heli than the HK450GT i've already got.

My friend ordered a tarot 450 pro yesterday, so in a couple of weeks I'll be able to see just what it looks like. It worries me you say the HK has BETTER screws than the tarot, they are rubbish!
I have to say the gt pro scres are waaay better than the ones that came with the MT. Oddly enough the screws I got with my first V2-kit were also decent.
sandos is offline Find More Posts by sandos
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2010, 08:22 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
I give my bearings an occasional soak in 3in1 oil
is that sewing machine oil? would castrol handy oil be ok? also do you glue your bearings back?
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Oct 17, 2010, 09:32 AM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
White lithium grease is a bad idea on your shafts. I put the same 3in1 oil on my shafts and wipe them clean every flight. Dirt will attract to grease and white lithium grease makes a mess.

It's best used inside servos.

No, I don't glue my bearings back in place. All my bearing holders are tight enough that I don't have to bother. If the bearing holders were loose I'd use a dab of thread lock on them, but not glue.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:08 PM
Lord, teach me pa... *crash*
USA, ME, Caribou
Joined Jun 2008
32 Posts
Thanks from the noob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
White lithium grease is a bad idea on your shafts. I put the same 3in1 oil on my shafts and wipe them clean every flight. Dirt will attract to grease and white lithium grease makes a mess.
Thank you very much. That is a big help to me. I appreciate your posts. I am learning quite a bit from this thread. Thanks all.
pastorJohn is offline Find More Posts by pastorJohn
Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:42 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
my servos won't work with those gyros. I'm not saying that gyro is so sensitive. Tell me, what are your gain settings? What settings do you have on the delay?
Well I use it on quite a few helis with the ds520, outrage (760 narrow pulse), and ds650. Gain anywhere from 70-74, delay I have about 1/4-1/3 stick but honestly I never messed with delay because it works the way I initially set it up.

I am super curious as to people reporting issues with the gp750/780 because I just have such an opposite experience and I think for the price it gives fantastic performance. It's certainly not the best but factor in cost and what a deal. I know people using it for scale, 3D, learning, electric, nitro, and these local flyers have the same positive opinion. I DO know 1 person in the EXI forums who prefers a different gyro (logitech?) so he sold me his gp780 - again at a fantastic price - but I don't think he actually had issues with it.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:51 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
One of my HS65 servos is a bit slow to respond compared to the other two. Apparently the motor is starting to show signs of wear after 300+ flights.

I found one shop online that sells replacement motors for them, Target Hobby. Anyone else know where you can find replacement motors for Hitec servos?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 03:38 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,193 Posts
LoL, i use white lithium grease on all my shafts. its the only stuff stats stays put on the tail. Then again, my flying style prevents early wear on the shaft. stuff gets replaced quite often
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Oct 17, 2010, 04:23 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
I found the white lithium tends to gunk up and get sticky after a while when it's exposed to the elements, thus the reason I don't use it on my shafts.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 05:29 PM
France, Ile-de-France, Malakoff
Joined Sep 2010
124 Posts
3-in-1 silicon lubricant

Hi,
Can I use this lube on every point in the heli where there is a rotating motion and metal to metal contact ?
Any thing in particular should I NOT use this product on ?
Thanks
micheleamerica is offline Find More Posts by micheleamerica
Old Oct 17, 2010, 05:45 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
Well I use it on quite a few helis with the ds520, outrage (760 narrow pulse), and ds650. Gain anywhere from 70-74, delay I have about 1/4-1/3 stick but honestly I never messed with delay because it works the way I initially set it up.

I am super curious as to people reporting issues with the gp750/780 because I just have such an opposite experience and I think for the price it gives fantastic performance. It's certainly not the best but factor in cost and what a deal. I know people using it for scale, 3D, learning, electric, nitro, and these local flyers have the same positive opinion. I DO know 1 person in the EXI forums who prefers a different gyro (logitech?) so he sold me his gp780 - again at a fantastic price - but I don't think he actually had issues with it.
RS: there's a numerous people having issues with these gyros, only to end up either going to spartan, or upgrading their servo, to a faster servo an HS or a JR. But you are in luck, may be you can help my friend out, he has one of your gyros, and he is struggling to make it work. I'm hoping you might be able to help. His name is steve. I'll bring him here.
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Oct 17, 2010, 07:37 PM
Blue Bell, PA USA
Joined Sep 2008
911 Posts
Thanks for the invite Pitchp!!! I really appreciate your efforts in helping me get my cronic wag solved.

RS: Here is what I am working with...
  • Walkera 2801 Receiver and Transmitter.
  • I started with a CopterX 250SE kit
  • Fusonic MG-A-9G 9g Metal Gear Mini Servos for the head
  • I wound up purchasing the Align 250SE Super Combo and have since replaced almost every part on the CopterX with the Align parts (complete tail unit, complete head unit, tail drive gear unit.)
  • Align Carbon Fiber boom
  • Kevlar Tail belt
  • 220mm Plastic Blades
  • Extreme Turnbuckles
  • I am using the Align ESC, motor, GP780 (attached with two layers of foam) gyro and DS420 Tail Servo. (ball is mounted 4.5mm on the servo horn)
  • 39mm batwing tail blades (I tried the smaller batwing ones, and 42 straight cut blades)
  • Home made Carbon Fiber Tail Pushrod (it is the stock pushrod with a CF Tube over the metal rod)
  • Align Metal Tail Rotor Control Arm
  • My latest gyro setting has the DELAY set to 100%
  • My latest transmitter setting has a gain of 61%
  • The head tracks perfectly straight.
  • The tail assembly can be move using the pushrod with no binding anywhere... it is silky smooth.

Although the heli is technically "flyable", it has an annoying wag that I just can't get rid of... all I am doing is hovering it 4 feet off the ground in a large indoor room (so I am not dealing with wind related issues). Would love any of your ideas or suggestions. Do you think I should buy an Align DS520 Tail Servo? I don't mind spending the money if it will fix my problem, but I really don't want to spend that much money to find out it made no difference. Thoughts?

Steve
Steve Joblin is offline Find More Posts by Steve Joblin
Old Oct 17, 2010, 07:41 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Why are you using a 100% delay with a digital tail servo?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 08:32 PM
Blue Bell, PA USA
Joined Sep 2008
911 Posts
Because I've been reading how folks have been suggesting to do it... I had it set to "No Delay" and had a wag... I can change it back to 0, but for what I am trying to do (just hover without a wag), I don't think the Delay function has any impact. It wagged with it set to 0 and it wagged with it set to 100.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 09:11 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
It will have an effect every time you rudder and let off the stick.

Now a few more questions. Are you flying in rate mode or heading hold mode? What happens when you lower the gain? Does the helicopter drift then? How far out from the center of your servo shaft is the ball set that controls the tail push rod?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 09:35 PM
Blue Bell, PA USA
Joined Sep 2008
911 Posts
I'm flying in HH mode... Walkera uses a standard of anything over 50 is HH mode. I can see the light on the gyro move from red (rate mode) to green (HH mode) when I increaes the gain from 49 to 51.

I set my tail all up at 90 degrees... the ball is 4.5mm on the servo arm. The blades have no pitch when the servo is at 90 degrees.

I set the gyro to 70 and had a had a real bad fast wag. I backed the gyro down to 68 and the wag lessened. I continued to back down the gyro until I was at 61. If I go any lower, I get a mushy tail that doesn't hold... it is like the gain is too low. The problem is that at 61, there is still a very small, but noticable wag.
Closed Thread