Closed Thread
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:08 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyvok View Post
How do I get blade tracking correct? I've been fiddling around with blade tracking today and all the links that I can adjust affect tracking too much. Just one turn on the links going to the mixing arms (that are supposed to be the blade tracking "fine tune") makes one blade go from way too high to way too low. After a lot of fiddling on both of the links I got the blades to fairly close together but the other one is still like 5mm higher than the other one.
I had this problem once. When I bought a set of new blades it went away. In the mean time, I set the tracking to give as good a result as I could for hovering. Given that you have done your best, I think 5mm is acceptable, even though not perfect.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:18 AM
Joined May 2010
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
I had this problem once. When I bought a set of new blades it went away. In the mean time, I set the tracking to give as good a result as I could for hovering. Given that you have done your best, I think 5mm is acceptable, even though not perfect.
Yeah I guess it's good enough, I did a little test and tried to hover continuously as long as I can before the ESC starts cutting off so I know (in the ballpark) of how much amps I'm pulling, but my thumb started cramping at like 8,5min and the ESC showed no signs of slowing down I got it on video as well, just uploading to youtube...
Hyvok is offline Find More Posts by Hyvok
Old Jul 16, 2010, 07:27 AM
Joined Jan 2009
89 Posts
Quote:
How do I get blade tracking correct? I've been fiddling around with blade tracking today and all the links that I can adjust affect tracking too much. Just one turn on the links going to the mixing arms (that are supposed to be the blade tracking "fine tune") makes one blade go from way too high to way too low. After a lot of fiddling on both of the links I got the blades to fairly close together but the other one is still like 5mm higher than the other one.
Because there is some free play the ball links at either end of the pitch arms it is possible to put a few degrees of adjustment in either side of the head before you have to pop off a ball link and spin it 360. Its not much but using both sides in opposite directions you can achieve a significant effect.

I use a small set of pliers to grab the ball link at the bottom of the pitch arm and hold it fully twisted either clockwise or anticlockwise (depends which way you need to go) then twist the top ball link the other way using my fingers. You can make very fine adjustments this way - you might not need to move both sides all the way.

If it doesn't give you enough adjustment I then spin one of the mixing arm ball links and start again with small adjustments to the pitch arm ball links. Remember to increase pitch you shorten the pitch arm but extend the mixing arm and visa versa.
Joel B is offline Find More Posts by Joel B
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:36 AM
I'll Be Back~
Sarasota, FL USA
Joined Aug 2007
163 Posts
Tracking

Quote:
Also, check Flybar Seesaw Holder Bearing... IF plastic the nubs break and that can cause tracking woes. If metal, make sure the screws into the Headblock are secure.

[ed]
InaFix is offline Find More Posts by InaFix
Old Jul 16, 2010, 09:25 AM
Joined May 2010
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel B View Post
Because there is some free play the ball links at either end of the pitch arms it is possible to put a few degrees of adjustment in either side of the head before you have to pop off a ball link and spin it 360. Its not much but using both sides in opposite directions you can achieve a significant effect.

I use a small set of pliers to grab the ball link at the bottom of the pitch arm and hold it fully twisted either clockwise or anticlockwise (depends which way you need to go) then twist the top ball link the other way using my fingers. You can make very fine adjustments this way - you might not need to move both sides all the way.

If it doesn't give you enough adjustment I then spin one of the mixing arm ball links and start again with small adjustments to the pitch arm ball links. Remember to increase pitch you shorten the pitch arm but extend the mixing arm and visa versa.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try "partial turns" on the links that go to the blade grips and see if I can get the tracking adjusted.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 09:55 AM
Greensboro/H.Pt/Win-Salem P.T. Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Dec 2001
809 Posts
Venquessa, have you had a chance to check your tail wag issue yet? What was the final verdict?

Vip.
Vipula AD is offline Find More Posts by Vipula AD
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:15 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,298 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the tip, I'll try "partial turns" on the links that go to the blade grips and see if I can get the tracking adjusted.
pricey but allows you to get infinite adjustment on your pitch links.

titanium turnbuckles

sold at miracle-mart also if you're not in the US.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:43 AM
Joined May 2010
98 Posts
The partial turns trick worked, I got the blades tracking almost perfect, now I can barely separate the blades from eachother.

Here's an extremely interesting video of me hovering my heli and not doing anything else (:P):

Hovering with my t-rex 450 clone (8 min 39 sec)
Old Jul 16, 2010, 01:06 PM
UK, North Down, Bangor
Joined Nov 2009
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipula AD View Post
Venquessa, have you had a chance to check your tail wag issue yet? What was the final verdict?

Vip.
Just got the align tail control parts this morning. Will fit tomorrow and see what the wind is like for a test flight.
venquessa is offline Find More Posts by venquessa
Old Jul 16, 2010, 01:08 PM
UK, North Down, Bangor
Joined Nov 2009
1,593 Posts
Quote:
The partial turns trick worked, I got the blades tracking almost perfect, now I can barely separate the blades from eachother.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBdPjPn2Qa8
A bit late, but on a new build or rotor head I would not worry about tracking for a few packs. My V1 head was way out, but I didn't change anything and 3 packs later it was perfect.

Sometimes things just need to be worked and loosen up a little.

BTW, thats a pretty good hover!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:50 PM
Joined May 2009
121 Posts
tracking

Quote:
Originally Posted by venquessa View Post
A bit late, but on a new build or rotor head I would not worry about tracking for a few packs. My V1 head was way out, but I didn't change anything and 3 packs later it was perfect.

Sometimes things just need to be worked and loosen up a little.

I wondered that if the O rings for the Feathering shaft were soft then tracking differences would be exaggerated??
visa versa Harder o rings would seem to improve tracking altho the pitch differences between the blades was the same??? just a thought....
mikehoppett is offline Find More Posts by mikehoppett
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:35 PM
UK, North Down, Bangor
Joined Nov 2009
1,593 Posts
I can't explain it, except my heads that had tracking issues on maiden were quite "tight" in several places, but loosened up. Went from bad tracking to good tracking without adjustment. The plastic head was the worst.

I have never yet had to alter tracking by "viewing the blades" and none of my blades have coloured tape to help me and never have.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:55 PM
Norfolk, Va
Joined May 2006
2,288 Posts
My fluttering problem showed back up and now it's 10x worst.
It's not a momentary thing now and the tracking goes way off, spin down and back up and tracking is near perfect again.
Gonna go through the head now and check bearings. Checked all the linkages again and they're all tight.
fr4nk1yn is offline Find More Posts by fr4nk1yn
Old Jul 16, 2010, 07:01 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by venquessa View Post
Agreed! Time to learn your next trick Hyvok.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Jul 16, 2010, 07:53 PM
just keep flying!!! :))
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Feb 2010
265 Posts
Hi, I ordered a 11T & 12T pinion for my Heli
here's a link of them
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11212
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11763

They are both out of stock for long time and is not shipping only because of them.

I recently found that Hobbyking has this Pinion Combo
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...me=Part_#_F050

Will these pinions be ok with my Heli? I mean, anyone bought them, are they good?
If yes then i'll cancel the two pinions i ordered (out of stock) and will get these two.

Thank's in advance
maestros is offline Find More Posts by maestros
Closed Thread