HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 28, 2010, 09:22 AM
UK
Joined May 2008
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by venquessa View Post
You could try glueing the bearings into their holders with red loctite.... carefully. After checking them all out first.
Hi Ven, shoe glue is best, easier to get the bearing out and clean up if you need to replace one.
wedgehog is offline Find More Posts by wedgehog
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:34 PM
USA, WA, Kennewick
Joined Nov 2005
501 Posts
Just as you all recommended I went through my new KH450GT and put loctite on every screw. It was a good thing too.. The screws in the tail boom block, SF Mixing arms and all the tail rotor cage screws were missed by the factory.

The rough assembly is done.. Now for the servos and other electronics.

Like the other guys asked.. Do they include a pack of spare screws? I also have a pack of random bits I can't find a use for in the manual.
sscherin is offline Find More Posts by sscherin
Old Jun 28, 2010, 02:57 PM
Fix, Fix, Fly, Fix, Fix, Fly
Colorado
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscherin View Post
Just as you all recommended I went through my new KH450GT and put loctite on every screw. It was a good thing too.. The screws in the tail boom block, SF Mixing arms and all the tail rotor cage screws were missed by the factory.

The rough assembly is done.. Now for the servos and other electronics.

Like the other guys asked.. Do they include a pack of spare screws? I also have a pack of random bits I can't find a use for in the manual.
HK does include some spare screws and small parts. If you have something that you can't identify, or don't know where it should go post a pic and I'm sure someone can id it for you.
mountainsax is offline Find More Posts by mountainsax
Old Jun 28, 2010, 03:29 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
wedgehog, What should I do about the tail then? I dont know if my bearings are a problem, or if the bearings are turning in their holder, or if nothing is wrong except my battery failed at the same time. Thoughts on how to diagnose?
helivsFMX is offline Find More Posts by helivsFMX
Old Jun 28, 2010, 03:52 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2010
567 Posts
My head button wobbles something insane, I always attributed this to the actual button being off-center. But today my batteries arrived and I finally could gently get head rotating for more than 2-3 seconds (thats what happens when you power the esc with ~18w PSU) and I think I can discern some very slight wobble in the actual bladegrips, too. Could this indicate a non-true main shaft? Everything below looks perfect to me.
sandos is offline Find More Posts by sandos
Old Jun 28, 2010, 04:07 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandos View Post
My head button wobbles something insane, I always attributed this to the actual button being off-center. But today my batteries arrived and I finally could gently get head rotating for more than 2-3 seconds (thats what happens when you power the esc with ~18w PSU) and I think I can discern some very slight wobble in the actual bladegrips, too. Could this indicate a non-true main shaft? Everything below looks perfect to me.
It could well be the main shaft and if the blade grips are off it probably is. It seems a lot of people are having bent main shafts
ghost2212 is online now Find More Posts by ghost2212
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:34 PM
UK
Joined May 2008
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helivsFMX View Post
wedgehog, What should I do about the tail then? I dont know if my bearings are a problem, or if the bearings are turning in their holder, or if nothing is wrong except my battery failed at the same time. Thoughts on how to diagnose?
The problem you have mate is a tough one. No Lipo's don't usually just fail, they fail when worked to hard or charged too fast. That's the clue that tells me something is causing a high current draw. there is no easy fix mate, you start at one end and take it all to bits and take each bearing, wash it out in clean spirit of some kind and then stick a spare shaft in it and spin it, if it's as sweet as a nut oil it and use it, when you put them back in smear a little shoe glue on the outside of the case so they won't spin in the case, and keep working your way through all the bearings until you find one that is rough or makes a noise or just doesn't feel right compared to the nice ones, you will know mate when you have been through a few, if you have got any new ones in your box, start with that one so you know how they should feel.
if you find a dodgy one replace it and don't stop there as there may be more than one, don't forget the little awkward ones like in the pitch slider on the tail shaft.
It won't be bearings in blade grips or paddle cages, only bearings on the powered rotating parts, main shaft, tail shaft, tail drive gear, Motor. yes I have had bearings go bad in a motor, all the bearings are available, don't buy more crappy ones from HK get them from an Align supplier or somewhere like this
http://www.rcbearings.co.uk/ I will watch for you, keep me informed and I will help if I can

Edit: oh! I meant to say with regards to the battery and your comment about the curves.
Don't get confused here with a lower throttle setting it's the ESC that will be working hard and getting hotter not the battery, at lower power settings you should be drawing lower current from the battery and it's less work for it.
When the throttle is wide open the esc is like a tap fully open, the current flow is max and the resistance the ESC presents to that flow is at it's lowest so now the ESC is under it's best operating condition and running it's coolest, but the battery is having max current being drawn and is working hardest. as you reduce the throttle the ESC is like a partially closed tap, it presents a resistance to current flow and will get hot, but now it's easier on the battery. Savy?
wedgehog is offline Find More Posts by wedgehog
Last edited by wedgehog; Jun 28, 2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 09:40 PM
Fix, Fix, Fly, Fix, Fix, Fly
Colorado
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
Got my 450 up for my first couple of hovers tonight! Flies really good, a little tail wag (need to adjust the gyro gain) but other than that it was smooth and stable (the heli certainly flies better than I do!).

One problem though, half way into my second battery I started to spin up and just as the heli was getting light (around mid-stick) it started glitching... It acted like it wanted to drop down to one side. I didn't see if it was one servo that was pulling or if it was all of them but it was not right. I stopped right away and unplugged the battery.

Do you think it could be just interference with the 72mhz system or might it be something else? Everything worked fine for three 1-2 minute hovers, then...
mountainsax is offline Find More Posts by mountainsax
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:00 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,912 Posts
What ESC/BEC are you using?
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:23 PM
Pacifica, CA USA
Joined May 2009
452 Posts
I have tons of 5 grams servos laying around. Just wondering if I can use it for HK-450. I don't do 3D, figure 8's. I just purchased a HK450 plastic version really cheap. Basically, disposable heli.
norstaroption is offline Find More Posts by norstaroption
Old Jun 29, 2010, 01:01 AM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
What website do I use to track orders from HK? I used Registered Air Mail. When I click the link to warehouse status it takes me to hongkongpost.com which doesn't show my package status.
tonyastro is offline Find More Posts by tonyastro
Old Jun 29, 2010, 01:08 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyastro View Post
What website do I use to track orders from HK? I used Registered Air Mail. When I click the link to warehouse status it takes me to hongkongpost.com which doesn't show my package status.
If the tracking number has CH on the end, try using Swiss Post to track it:
http://www.swisspost.ch/
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jun 29, 2010, 02:55 AM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
thanks. it works!
tonyastro is offline Find More Posts by tonyastro
Old Jun 29, 2010, 05:56 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,176 Posts
Mountainsax,

Thanx for stopping by here and as the other poster advised.....in addition to the ESC you need something like this!

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsax View Post
Got my 450 up for my first couple of hovers tonight! Flies really good, a little tail wag (need to adjust the gyro gain) but other than that it was smooth and stable (the heli certainly flies better than I do!).

One problem though, half way into my second battery I started to spin up and just as the heli was getting light (around mid-stick) it started glitching... It acted like it wanted to drop down to one side. I didn't see if it was one servo that was pulling or if it was all of them but it was not right. I stopped right away and unplugged the battery.

Do you think it could be just interference with the 72mhz system or might it be something else? Everything worked fine for three 1-2 minute hovers, then...
rikybob is offline Find More Posts by rikybob
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:11 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norstaroption View Post
I have tons of 5 grams servos laying around. Just wondering if I can use it for HK-450. I don't do 3D, figure 8's. I just purchased a HK450 plastic version really cheap. Basically, disposable heli.
I think if you try to use 5 gram servos, you will be diposing of it rather soon. Even in a 250 size heli most people use 9 gram servos. Still, I'm always happy to be proven wrong. (I'll stand back a little just in case that elevator servo gives out when you give it a little punch - duck!!!)
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Closed Thread