HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2001, 08:35 PM
Joined May 2001
6 Posts
Warning: check postage rates when ordering from Multiplex!!

I decided to take advantage of a "good deal" for the $45 pico-jet kit direct from Multiplex, until I found out what shipping was....27.50 total including the 2.50 handling charge. This is for ground shipping UPS, the cheapest! The package was going from California to Florida... not to England. They informed me that the increase in postage was due to the size of the box 37"x21"x6" and the weight of it...when does a speed 400 kit weight in at seven pounds? Insurance would be an additional $5.00 on a $45 model? I know the postal rate rather well because I ship alot of "odd sized" boxes to California...about the same size as a kit, about 2 pounds via "Priority Mail", insured for $75, and I have never paid over $10. After making this point to the shipping cleck, they told me that they would call me back. In five minutes, I was giving a price of $15 shipped priority mail, faster service and a better rate. I understand that some mail order companies charge the same for big and small packages to even out the price of shipping, but sometimes I think that when shipping runs more than half of a price of the kit, something has to be said.
crazythumbs is offline Find More Posts by crazythumbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2001, 08:52 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
Moved to Consumer Advocacy...
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old Jul 09, 2001, 10:23 PM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
I know....I was quoted the same for a Twinstar. Bought it from RC Creations...$6 or so for shipping. Shop around, some of these vendors are offering great deals and tucking it to ya' on the shipping.
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Jul 10, 2001, 12:02 AM
Son of Jet Jockey
Redmond, WA (60 Acres Park Flyer)
Joined Apr 2000
79 Posts
Hmm. I received the $45 Pico jet last week and I was only charged $15 to ship it to Washington state via USPS Priority Mail.

In fact, when I called the shipping department to find out when it would ship, the clerk said "Yah, I see you wanted it shipped the cheapest, so no tracking number. It went out USPS Priority Mail".

I am more than pleased with the service at multiplex. Now, if only they'd ship that Cargo!
Will Chapman is offline Find More Posts by Will Chapman
Old Jul 10, 2001, 01:19 AM
canada
Joined Sep 2000
478 Posts
I bought some motors from them and they charged me $ 8.00 for postage and I saw the postage stamps was only US$ 2.30..

Strange...
chrisc is offline Find More Posts by chrisc
Old Jul 13, 2001, 11:31 PM
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Joined Feb 2001
574 Posts
Well, it doesn't only happen in R/c goods. Mail order is mail order. I 've worked at a mail order business and was pretty high on the totem pole, enough to know that everybody got the stinky end of the stick on the shipping. Nobody was ever charged what the package cost to ship. But the company I worked for was dishonest. Mail order is odd, it is harder to be dishonest to faces.
I don't work the business anymore.

But I ship USPS whenever I can.
Clayton is offline Find More Posts by Clayton