SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 01, 2009, 02:31 AM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman
Looking at the test data you have to run a 7" prop to notice a big difference about 150w over the arc (and about 45g lighter). I think the 6x4 would keep them about equal around 25a

I'm hoping they will be about equal on the 6x4 because I realy got used to how my old ez handled with the arc on it. The best part, I didn't really care to have a powerful setup as I don't usually hot rod my ez, but lower weight so I could thermal a bit better.......but looks like i got both.....I hope
antennahead is online now Find More Posts by antennahead
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2009, 04:39 AM
High Altitude Bliss
France
Joined Jun 2007
1,343 Posts
Happy New Year Gang!

~Hyps

@ Antennahead: Interesting Mod. Let me know how this works out for you.
Hypoxic is offline Find More Posts by Hypoxic
Last edited by Hypoxic; Jan 01, 2009 at 04:46 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2009, 06:09 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
I don't believe it! I signed in on page one, Went and got some sleep, come back on here and it is up to page 5. I cannot keep up.
So now talking of camera mounting. I have cut a new slot in my blue foam canopy that I used for my Vado. I can now mount my 'Traveler' but the COG is about 1/2 inch forward of the recomended spot. I cannont get the lipo any further back in the compartment.
So, I have the option of flying as it is which I feel sure it should fly OK maybe a bit faster. Or trying to remove some foam as recomended. But this could be difficult as the fuz halfs are firmly glued.
Before anyone mentions it. No I will not add weight to the tail.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2009, 06:29 AM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypopa
I don't believe it! I signed in on page one, Went and got some sleep, come back on here and it is up to page 5. I cannot keep up.
So now talking of camera mounting. I have cut a new slot in my blue foam canopy that I used for my Vado. I can now mount my 'Traveler' but the COG is about 1/2 inch forward of the recomended spot. I cannont get the lipo any further back in the compartment.
So, I have the option of flying as it is which I feel sure it should fly OK maybe a bit faster. Or trying to remove some foam as recomended. But this could be difficult as the fuz halfs are firmly glued.
Flypoppa,
I'd fly it just as it is. I've been flying with the A123 9.9v packs stuffed all the way in the nose and you can't get anything more heavier than that, and as you say you need to keep your speed up, but the positive result is better turbulence penetration. Now with the exception of my totally stock ES, all my ES's have a more forward CG than what the manual calls for.

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
Old Jan 01, 2009, 06:36 AM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Happy New Year

It's 4:30am 1/1/09 and I feel great! I didn't go out last night and went to bed at 10:00, so now I'm waiting for daylight to have my first ES flight of the year. I flew yesterday afternoon between rain showers and wind. It reminded me of some of the video's Alexames has on his site. I was getting bounced all over the sky! 3 years ago I couldn't have done that, but many crashes, and near crashes later, I'm building up my confidence.

THE EASY STAR ROCKS!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
Old Jan 01, 2009, 06:51 AM
More Pixels!
Collegedale TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,412 Posts
Quote:
1/2 inch CG shift forward shouldn't make a huge difference - a couple up-clicks on the elevator and you're good. I've flown with the CG farther off than that without problems. Where things get nasty is when the CG is _aft_ of where it ought to be.

That said, I use a tail weight because my camera is heavy (8.5 oz). Doesn't seem to cause any problems, although it's a mite ugly.
jbeckett is offline Find More Posts by jbeckett
Old Jan 01, 2009, 07:13 AM
Tree Flyer
Albany NY
Joined Feb 2005
476 Posts
Well my last flight of the year took place a few days ago. It was a mild day (very unusual for this time of year) so it made for perfect flying weather. As I was out in the field my wife came out of the house and videotaped me flying the plane around. Its not perfect but the only video I have of me flying. Im not quite good enough to fly and video at the same time.

Flying the EasyStar (3 min 17 sec)
WTurbiasz is offline Find More Posts by WTurbiasz
Old Jan 01, 2009, 10:16 AM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,298 Posts
I'd have to say you wife did a great job of videotaping especialy since she really had no idea which direction your ez star was going to go. your daughters comments had me rolling on the floor and it looks like you a getting a handle on flying your ez*
Old Jan 01, 2009, 10:31 AM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead
I'd have to say you wife did a great job of videotaping especialy since she really had no idea which direction your ez star was going to go. your daughters comments had me rolling on the floor and it looks like you a getting a handle on flying your ez*

Ditto !!

What a cutie your daughter is. Hope she gets her wish to fly one of your planes soon.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Jan 01, 2009, 10:52 AM
Lost it again!!!!!
United States, CA, Menifee
Joined Aug 2007
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead
I'm hoping they will be about equal on the 6x4 because I realy got used to how my old ez handled with the arc on it. The best part, I didn't really care to have a powerful setup as I don't usually hot rod my ez, but lower weight so I could thermal a bit better.......but looks like i got both.....I hope
I caught my 1st thermal on Mon couldn't stay with it for to long, fell out then found it again for about 30 seconds more of lift.

That was one reason I got the ez*...the other was to take video. I was thinking of this one
http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...&Store_Code=AS
I just can't find the weight, I think it is around 4oz

here is a no name one for $100 http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-DIGITAL-VIDEO...1%7C240%3A1318
dirtman is offline Find More Posts by dirtman
Last edited by dirtman; Jan 01, 2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2009, 12:48 PM
Tree Flyer
Albany NY
Joined Feb 2005
476 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. Flying the EZ has become so much more of a joy now that Im not affraid of crashing it all the time as my confidance has increased. I always check the winds before I go out and anything over 15mph I wont go. My daugther is a riot as she has seen me crash the thing so many times I think she just assumes thats the way its supposed to fly.

Quote:
I caught my 1st thermal on Mon couldn't stay with it for to long, fell out then found it again for about 30 seconds more of lift.
Ok silly question but how do you know if you got a thermal. Does it just climb all of the sudden and what are the ideal conditions for thermals. Somehow Im thinking it has to be a hot sunny summer day.
WTurbiasz is offline Find More Posts by WTurbiasz
Old Jan 01, 2009, 01:10 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman

That was one reason I got the ez*...the other was to take video. I was thinking of this one
http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...&Store_Code=AS
I just can't find the weight, I think it is around 4oz

here is a no name one for $100 http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-DIGITAL-VIDEO...1%7C240%3A1318
Go and look on here. That second one looks like a Jazz178/ Traveler that I
have just got for more AP in the EZ*.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post11245538
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2009, 01:47 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Go and look on here. That second one looks like a Jazz178/ Traveler that I
have just got for more AP in the EZ*.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post11245538

This is what the jazz 178 looks like that is sold here in the states, I have heard other people say it is sold as the traveler in other countries, but I do not know if the design and buttons are exactly the same. The jazz is a very nice camera. $100 at walmart and can be found on ebay slightly cheaper. I'm very happy with this camera, however I have not yet mounted this one on an airplane yet.
Last edited by antennahead; Jan 02, 2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2009, 01:50 PM
...insert witty text here...
UK
Joined Jun 2007
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTurbiasz

Ok silly question but how do you know if you got a thermal. Does it just climb all of the sudden and what are the ideal conditions for thermals. Somehow Im thinking it has to be a hot sunny summer day.

Thermals usually appear when there's a mixture of sun and cloud and not too much wind. Underneath the cloud is where the lift is!

On days with no cloud, fly over darker surfaces that collect heat, gorse bushes tend to help kick off thermals for example.

You can tell when you are flying into/near one as a wing will lift (sometimes very quickly). Steer into it and watch your model get smaller!
monkey32 is offline Find More Posts by monkey32
Old Jan 01, 2009, 01:56 PM
Springfield, Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTurbiasz
Thanks for the comments guys. Flying the EZ has become so much more of a joy now that Im not affraid of crashing it all the time as my confidance has increased. I always check the winds before I go out and anything over 15mph I wont go. My daugther is a riot as she has seen me crash the thing so many times I think she just assumes thats the way its supposed to fly.

Something else I've been told is to keep an eye out for birds that may be soaring, they are a good indication of where a thermal may be.

Rick
Engine10ff is offline Find More Posts by Engine10ff
Closed Thread