Old Dec 31, 2008, 08:50 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY
Dude, I think youve got multiplexitis
Nah...he's barely started into multiplexitis. I, on the other hand, am well beyond saving.
In the hangar (all Multiplex)
Easy Star
Twin Star
Micro Jet
Fun Jet
Twin Jet
Acro Master
Easy Glider
Cularis
Space Scooter

Had, but sold:
Gemini
Twister

Waiting to buy:
Blizzard

I know I've missed a few MPX planes, but, HEY!!! Nobody's perfect!

Oh, I forgot to add...all my planes are controlled by a Multiplex Evo9
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2008, 09:09 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,300 Posts
ok, seriously I will be posting some pics of my new build. These modifications are a combination of what others have done and one important mod that I had tried on my first build that proved to be succesful. the easy star is a fantastic airframe stock, but if you want to make the ez almost bullet proof, a few things are needed.

I'm going to start with the wings.

The first set of pictures shows installing carbon strips in the wings to make them stronger and flex less. I used a long metal straight edge positioned just behined the wing spar cover. I measured the width of the carbon strip and taped off that measurement on my razor blade so I wouldn't cut to deep. I then put a metal straight edge in position, just behined the spar cover and cut a slit into the wing using the straight edge as a guide. I cut all the way from the root of the wing, out to where the wing tips just start to curve upward. After I have the slit cut, I run the carbon strip back and forth in the slit a few times until I can easily push it into the wing. Once installed, I run a bit of thin ca over the carbon to seal it to the wing . repeat on the other wing and the rear elevator. (I'm still not sure if I need to stiffen the elevator control surface with carbon or not )

carbon strip used from Midwest prodects item #5842 1.4mm x 4.5 mm x 1016mm I couldn't read the american standard size on the lablel, but it's something like .057 x.017 x 40

Sorry about the pics, hard to shoot a silver razor and straight edge on a silver wing
antennahead is online now Find More Posts by antennahead
Last edited by antennahead; Jan 01, 2009 at 02:24 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 09:34 PM
Lost it again!!!!!
United States, CA, Menifee
Joined Aug 2007
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchrrr
I've been happily lurking this group since January 2006 when I purchased my EZ, and it's about time I express my thanks to everyone who has made a contribution to making me understand it. I don't fly very often because I'm somewhat scared. Seems like I can't break away from the simulators. Thank you very much and Happy New Year to all of you.
Jim
Happy New Year everybody

before I learned how to fly I would spend a lot of time at the LHS on the simulator. I couln't fly at all. I still tried to fly anyway. It was rough(didn't have an easy*). each flight got better and better. after about 10 flight I got on the sim again and it was a piece of cake,

I had crashes, and had repairs to make and I learned were I went wrong,

Just get out there and fly. I would rather have a broken plane to fix than to have a plane on the shelf collecting dust

The butterflies go away, and so you won't have to think....you just fly with no thought of what stick to move, it just happens(musscle memory)

But you got to fly to get there
dirtman is offline Find More Posts by dirtman
Old Dec 31, 2008, 09:45 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
Nah...he's barely started into multiplexitis. I, on the other hand, am well beyond saving.
In the hangar (all Multiplex)
Easy Star
Twin Star
Micro Jet
Fun Jet
Twin Jet
Acro Master
Easy Glider
Cularis
Space Scooter

Had, but sold:
Gemini
Twister

Waiting to buy:
Blizzard

I know I've missed a few MPX planes, but, HEY!!! Nobody's perfect!

Oh, I forgot to add...all my planes are controlled by a Multiplex Evo9
Van
I dont think you have the "itis", I think I will have to diagnose you as a "plexaholic" level 2, significant risk. You should seek some help immediately, possibly some meetings or something

Antenna
LMAO at the "nutcrackers" some funny sh bud
EZ looks good by the way. Keep it comin

F2F
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Dec 31, 2008, 09:56 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,300 Posts
I'm not going out tonight to celebrate new years because after midnight in Illinois, if you get one DUI you have to install one of those breathalizers in your car and blow in it everytime you drive before it will start. thanks to the polititians in this state that have decided to tax the residents more, tax the business's more and in 3 years made this the most expensive state in the country to live in. add to that, all the stupid laws to "keep us safe" all they want is more money, the funny part is cook county raised the sales tax from 6.5 percent to 10 percent and then were scratching their heads when they found out they made less money on sales tax than they did before they raised the tax......gee I don't know......mabey people decided to go elsewhere to purchase things because of the extra cost. businesses are moving out in droves,people are losing jobs. now all of the new laws because they feel that law enforcment are the only people qualified to detemine what is safe for everyone........won't be long before they will be allowed to break down my door to check to see if I have anything that may harm me
Ok, I'm not for being able to drink and drive, I am for my freedom. If It could be proven that this devise in your car will completely stop DUI related deaths, I would be completely for it......however the truth is that by the time they catch a drunk driver....9 times out of ten it is ussually to late.

Please impeach our completely useless govenor....PLEASE.....

Wow, I really went of base here.......back to something enjoyable.
Last edited by antennahead; Jan 01, 2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 09:57 PM
Springfield, Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
128 Posts
Nice intro Sarge, looking forward to more EZ* stuff this coming new year.

Thanks to all who have piped in and helped out with answers and suggestions.

I have had a lot of fun with this plane and am looking forward to some new mods this year. I think my first goal is going to be getting the FPV supplies and trying to get that started and up and running by good weather in the spring. Going to put in a 2200 kv inrunner next week and have a couple 3s 2200 mAh batteries on the way. I think there's no end in sight with this plane.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy new year.

Rick
Engine10ff is offline Find More Posts by Engine10ff
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:04 PM
Springfield, Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead
I'm not going out tonight to celebrate new years because after midnight in Illinois, if you get one DUI you have to install one of those breathalizers in your car and blow in it everytime you drive before it will start. thanks to the polititians in this state that have decided to tax the residents more, tax the business's more and in 3 years made this the most expensive state in the country to live in. add to that, all the stupid laws to "keep us safe" all they want is more money, the funny part is cook county raised the sales tax from 6.5 percent to 10 percent and then were scratching their heads when they found out they made less money on sales tax than they did before they raised the tax......gee I don't know......mabey people decided to go elsewhere to purchase things because of the extra cost. businesses are moving out in droves,people are losing jobs. now all of the new laws because they feel that law enforcment are the only people qualified to detemine what is safe for everyone........won't be long before they will be allowed to break down my door to check to see if I have anything that may harm me
Ok, I'm not for being able to drink and drive, I am for my freedom. If It could be proven that this devise in your car will completely stop DUI related deaths, I would be completely for it......however the truth is that by the time they catch a drunk driver....9 times out of ten it is ussually to late.

Please impeach our completely useless govenor....PEASE.....

Wow, I really went of base here.......back to something enjoyable.
LOL, thought I was watching the local news there for a second. Seems to me I saw on the news recently some lady was busted by her 7 or 8 year old because she was making him blow in the tube to be able to start the car. I do have to agree tho, IL is going down the pooper. Same woes down here in Springfield. Politicians don't want to raise taxes for fear of political suicide so the 'better' option is to layoff cops, firefighters and street crews and close firehouses. Blah, probably the same crap everywhere.

Sorry Sarge, back to EZ* stuff....

Rick
Engine10ff is offline Find More Posts by Engine10ff
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:19 PM
FLY ANGRY
Joined Jul 2008
5,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine10ff
LOL, thought I was watching the local news there for a second. Seems to me I saw on the news recently some lady was busted by her 7 or 8 year old because she was making him blow in the tube to be able to start the car. I do have to agree tho, IL is going down the pooper. Same woes down here in Springfield. Politicians don't want to raise taxes for fear of political suicide so the 'better' option is to layoff cops, firefighters and street crews and close firehouses. Blah, probably the same crap everywhere.

Sorry Sarge, back to EZ* stuff....

Rick
OK now we go live to FIXXIN2FLY up in northern IL for the sh economy report............LOL
Isnt life grand
All the more reason to fly rc, just get out there and for the short period of time that the bird is in the air everything else in life just kinda gets moved to the back burner.. Thats a beautiful thing
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:33 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,300 Posts
ok, on to what I feel is the most important part of the build, the carbon reinforcements on the fuse. I tried this on my first easy star and have proven it on it's first flight. On that flight (my first try at flying an rc airplane and with out any help from an experienced rc flyer) I flew my 300 watt ez straight into a brick wall at half throttle. normally this would have seriously crumpled the nose and the canopy would have never fit again, On my second flight I went nose first straight into the ground from 50 feet up, I have hit fences, trees, soccer poles and even a volley ball net pole (I have that one on tape! man, I'm making it sound like I suck at flying)but with the carbon,the nose at worst was slightly wrinkled, the nose never bent to the side and my canopy alway fit like a new ez.

The first picture is a mock up of how I had built my first ez, I did the carbon rods inside the radio compartment, and ran a carbon rod all the way through the center of the fuse from the back edge of the radio compartment all the way to the back edge of the fuse under the rudder. on this build, I deveated from my first build slightly, I only installed the carbon in the radio compartment. It doesn't add any significant amout of weight, but it does make your easy extremely durable and almost indesructable....I think this is the most worthwile mod that can be usefull on every ez built, stock or not.

using Midwest products #5724 carbon tube .210 OD x 132 ID x 24 (5.3mm x3.4mmx610mm) I cut the tube to fit inside the radio compartment from the very nose to the back of the radio compartment just under the servo pockets, I then dremeled out a notch in the fuse so that the carbon rod will fit reasonably flush with the sides of the fuse, I then cut out small squares of plywood to go on each end of the tube. This helps spread the forces of a hard hit to the nose. Without the plywood, the carbon rods would just poke right through the foam and would be of no benefit. I cut out a little material to make room for the ply squares, once happy with the fit of all components, I glued it all together using white gorilla glue.
Last edited by antennahead; Jan 01, 2009 at 02:29 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:52 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,300 Posts
Ok, so if I didn't put the carbon through the center of the fuse, how can I make the fuse bullet proof?? easy!! Take the inner plastic control sleave to your local hobby shop and find some carbon rod that it will fit through. At my LHS they just had some carbon rod in a bin, so I don't have the exact size used, but I guess it to be about 3mm but it's a guess, all that is important is that the inner plastic sleave slides easily inside the carbon tube. Now just cut to the same length as the factory outer plastic tubes and replace the factory outer plastic tubes with the carbon tubes, simple, and not much of a weight penalty.
One note, on the control rods for the rudder, the carbon would not bend with the notch in the fuse by the elevator, so I cut the carbon rod just short of where it would bend and then substituted a small piece of the factory outer rod to follow the bend and keep the linkage geometry intact.

Also shown are the hs-55 servos, I used them without problem in my last ez and really see no point in using a larger servo, servos were gooped in place and thin ca used to affix the carbon outer control rods.

Oh and if you are using 2.4 and want to really make the fuse strong, put 2mm carbon rod in the slot in the bottom of the fuse in place of the antenna tube
Last edited by antennahead; Dec 31, 2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:53 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,300 Posts
Quote:
OK now we go live to FIXXIN2FLY up in northern IL for the sh economy report............LOL
Isnt life grand
All the more reason to fly rc, just get out there and for the short period of time that the bird is in the air everything else in life just kinda gets moved to the back burner.. Thats a beautiful thing

Where's Roscoe IL? I'm guessing Rockford area? I'm in Lake Forest
Yep, get up in the air and all lifes problems go away for awhile
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:26 PM
FLY ANGRY
Joined Jul 2008
5,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead
Where's Roscoe IL? I'm guessing Rockford area? I'm in Lake Forest
Yep, get up in the air and all lifes problems go away for awhile
yea buddy, good ole Rockford, dump of a city, IL (actually a few miles north)
Fly at Kieselburt forest preserve just a couple miles north of Machesney park mall if you know of it
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:26 PM
registered snoozer
Pungo VB VA
Joined Jan 2008
292 Posts
HEY EZ boys...

Happy EVERYTHING.

Good hangin, glidin, soarin, loopin and divin with you ALL!!
Scott.
gboy333 is offline Find More Posts by gboy333
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:36 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,300 Posts
cg mod for ap

After getting comfortable flying my last ez, I made a camera mount and even though it worked great, I couldn't slide my lipo back far enough to get a good cg with camera and had to add alot of tail weight. since I havent yet closed the fuse halves I decided to remove some foam to take advantage of the bay behined the radio compartment.

The first pic shows my normal lipo position for my 3s 2200 lipo for normal flying. I wasn't comfortable with removing all of the material needed to get the 2200 to slide into the back compartment when using my camera mount, so what I decided to do was remove enough material to to get a narow 3s 900 mah battery to slide into the back compartment. what I hope to do is slide the small 3s 900 lipo into the back compartment and move it up, then slide another identical 3s 900 lipo in underneath the first one and run both in paralel. this I hope will provide me with the proper cg when my camera is mounted and give me the run time I want.......I hope
Last edited by antennahead; Jan 02, 2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:43 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,300 Posts
Quote:
yea buddy, good ole Rockford, dump of a city, IL (actually a few miles north)
Fly at Kieselburt forest preserve just a couple miles north of Machesney park mall if you know of it

Yea I kinda know the area, I usually try to get out to Rockford speedway a few times a year, love the trailer races, school bus races and about the best 4th of july display I have ever seen. we should get together sometime and fly
Closed Thread