Closed Thread
Old Jan 03, 2009, 09:32 AM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiprianGugu
At least, with NiCd or NiMH batteries, you can just go home and recharge, and next day go flying. If you would have done the same thing with a LiPo battery, you would have had to buy another battery. .
Not necessarily so. I've got two transmitters with Lipo's in them and on both at different times I have left them on until they were dead. (The first one was left on from setting initial adjustments on a new plane.) I thought first like you, that it was new battery time, but I tricked the charger into first thinking it was a Nicad of the same voltage and charged it until the charger in the Lipo setting mode detected the correct cell count and voltage. Then I just charged it up. I will say I don't think I did either battery any good, but the first one is over a year old and still I can go for over 340 minutes without charging. The way I fly that is about 3 weeks worth.

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2009, 09:46 AM
Wind World
Joined Dec 2007
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymak
I really like the 1800kv motor but I'm not quite the dare devil that many of the fliers here are. It will still put the wings in a solid "U" shape if you hit the sticks too hard though.

Mike K
how many amps you pulling with the 1800 on 6x4?
foamflier84 is offline Find More Posts by foamflier84
Old Jan 03, 2009, 11:20 AM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
Okay, so I have my radio, plane, and battery charger. the only thing I need to order is a few batteries, motor, and an esc.

My thoughts are that I want to go brushless down the road, sooner than later. I have flown RC planes many times (super cub) and had great success. I still lump myself in as a newb so I want to take Joe's advice and stick with the stock motor setup. My concern though is I will have to buy a brush esc and a few 2s lipo packs. When I make the switch to brushless the 2s packs wouls most likely not get used. and i would have to get another esc. I don't want surplus equipment till I am at least a few years into the hobby.

Some advice please. I want to go brushless right away so I don't have extra stuff sitting around but everyone seems to say stick with stock first. Even if I have flown before? How different can an easystar be than a supercub? I also have a sim and can run all day with no crashes.
Mera'din is offline Find More Posts by Mera'din
Old Jan 03, 2009, 11:32 AM
Tree Flyer
Albany NY
Joined Feb 2005
476 Posts
Mera'din Everyone here is giving you good advice I can assure you. Now however we really dont know what your abilities are aside from what you told us. The SIM is a good starting point but for me it wasnt the same as the real thing because on the sim things are almost set be way to perfect. If if you flew the cub before I would say that this certainly gives you more experiance.

I started with the EZ and against all advice got the brushless because just like you I knew I was going to be going down that route in the future and just like you I didnt want to have this stuff just sitting around. However I did pay a penalty for not listening to the better advice and now my EZ has the scar marks to prove it. Brushless is great but for a Newb like me it was a bit overkill and the speed did me in. Your milage may vary and of course you seem to have more experiance then I did when I first started.

So I suppose in the end I would say that if you feel that you can handle it go for it and as long as you are able to accept the risks then I dont see a problem. Just my two cents.

Tek
WTurbiasz is offline Find More Posts by WTurbiasz
Old Jan 03, 2009, 11:36 AM
Wind World
Joined Dec 2007
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din
Okay, so I have my radio, plane, and battery charger. the only thing I need to order is a few batteries, motor, and an esc.

My thoughts are that I want to go brushless down the road, sooner than later. I have flown RC planes many times (super cub) and had great success. I still lump myself in as a newb so I want to take Joe's advice and stick with the stock motor setup. My concern though is I will have to buy a brush esc and a few 2s lipo packs. When I make the switch to brushless the 2s packs wouls most likely not get used. and i would have to get another esc. I don't want surplus equipment till I am at least a few years into the hobby.

Some advice please. I want to go brushless right away so I don't have extra stuff sitting around but everyone seems to say stick with stock first. Even if I have flown before? How different can an easystar be than a supercub? I also have a sim and can run all day with no crashes.
how good is the stock on 6x4 or larger prop with a 2s lipo? I fly it more than my brushless easy thats how good. try that with a supercub

stock eaystar goes 41.7 MPH on that setup with stock permax 400 + 2.3mm prop adapter. pretty good for stock! http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/multiplexcalc.asp
Last edited by foamflier84; Jan 03, 2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2009, 11:59 AM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
Would this be a good battery?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6306
Mera'din is offline Find More Posts by Mera'din
Old Jan 03, 2009, 12:01 PM
Climb,turn,roll,loop,soar
Springfield,Ma. USA
Joined Jun 2006
3,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din
That`s a very good battery.
Joe
Joeknight is offline Find More Posts by Joeknight
Old Jan 03, 2009, 12:10 PM
Climb,turn,roll,loop,soar
Springfield,Ma. USA
Joined Jun 2006
3,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by George1234
Your motor and prop determine the amount of amps that are drawn, not the battery. You should still be drawing 18 amps with the new battery.

George
Geoge that`s only partly correct, different batteries have different internal
resistance this means that a battery with a lower internal resistance will
transfer power faster to the motor which results in higher Amp draw.
The motor draws as much power as it is available,so if the motor has an
unrestricted power supply technicaly it will burn it self out (it will over amp it
self)

If you use a Watt-Amp meter in line on you motor you`ll see that with
different batteries you pull different Amp.
Joe
Joeknight is offline Find More Posts by Joeknight
Last edited by Joeknight; Jan 03, 2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2009, 12:23 PM
Wind World
Joined Dec 2007
674 Posts
Does aileron on the easy help a lot or not much when it comes to gusty wind? And in general just plain getting through the wind.
Old Jan 03, 2009, 12:48 PM
Hamilton Ont.Canada
Joined Feb 2007
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeknight
Geoge that`s only partly correct, different batteries have different internal
resistance this means that a battery with a lower internal resistance will
transfer power faster to the motor which results in higher Amp draw.
The motor draws as much power as it is available,so if the motor has an
unrestricted power supply technicaly it will burn it self out (it will over amp it
self)

If you use a Watt-Amp meter in line on you motor you`ll see that with
different batteries you pull different Amp.
Joe
Sorry Joe, but a motor will only draw excess current if it shorts, binds, or stalls.
If a motor drew as much power as is available, it would draw 25 amps from a 25 amp ESC.
A battery will provide unlimited current up to the point of self destruction, such as shorted leads. The motor is actually the limiting factor in the equation, except in above mentioned conditions.

George
George1234 is offline Find More Posts by George1234
Old Jan 03, 2009, 01:05 PM
High Altitude Bliss
France
Joined Jun 2007
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeknight
Joe
Agreed. Excellent battery.
I lost one this weekend in this crash and I've already ordered a replacement. I have a couple with up to 50 flights on them and they're as good now as when they were new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamflier84
Does aileron on the easy help a lot or not much when it comes to gusty wind? And in general just plain getting through the wind.

Going brushless gets you through the wind!
Seriously though, I don't think it will matter much. I've flown my EZ in some pretty gusty winds over here and I've never felt the need to install ailerons on it.
Hypoxic is offline Find More Posts by Hypoxic
Last edited by Hypoxic; Jan 03, 2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2009, 01:09 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
Joe has a point - a lower resistance battery may allow a motor to draw a fraction more current than it can draw from a higher resistance pack.

But as you say, the current draw is, to all intents and purposes, determined by the prop and the voltage applied, not the source.

No matter what the source of the 10v supply, a 20A max motor would not "over-amp"/"burn itself out", if the prop determined that it could only draw 10A @ 10v. It might draw 10.1A on a really high quality pack... but not 30A.. 40A...50A!
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Jan 03, 2009, 01:38 PM
Tree Flyer
Albany NY
Joined Feb 2005
476 Posts
I agree . I have this one and its almost the same thing. On average I get anywhere from 30 -40 minutes out of one just flying around.

https://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/...idProduct=7641

Quote:
I did the rudder mod a week ago and it has helped in windy situation but having the available power to cut thru it when you have to is nice with the brushless.

Quote:
Going brushless gets you through the wind
Old Jan 03, 2009, 01:46 PM
Wind World
Joined Dec 2007
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTurbiasz
I did the rudder mod a week ago and it has helped in windy situation but having the available power to cut thru it when you have to is nice with the brushless.

I no longer have rudder mods on my brushless or stock easy: reason plane tips too much at low speeds floating or landing; also way too sensitive in turns. Took it right off my brushless and flies 100% better with stock rudder.
Old Jan 03, 2009, 02:09 PM
Tree Flyer
Albany NY
Joined Feb 2005
476 Posts
Yeah Im kind of on the fence about it too. Just as you I deal with the winds all the time and its nice to have the extra surface area to make the turn but as you said it is very sensitive and I only extended half the size of the original one. Not sure, I may not do it on the second EZ

Quote:
I no longer have rudder mods on my brushless or stock easy: reason plane tips too much at low speeds floating or landing; also way too sensitive in turns. Took it right off my brushless and flies 100% better with stock rudder.
Closed Thread