HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 09, 2009, 05:50 PM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,441 Posts
My EZ is black. I have never had an over heating problem but I do have a scoop and vent holes.
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2009, 05:53 PM
Climb,turn,roll,loop,soar
Springfield,Ma. USA
Joined Jun 2006
3,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by latin105fm
Good evening gentlemen and any ladies obviously that might be lost and in here! ha ha ha Just kidding..everyone welcome!

My 1st easy Star build is going well and only made one minor mistake.

PLEASE SEE PHOTOS BELOW for me to explain. At the rear, I have stuck the Rudder horn the wrong way round and therefore the cable from the servo doesn't reach by about 5mm!!! Argh...Not to worry, I can buy some new longer cable and cut to size. The fact this is slightly wrong won't affect anything will it?

Will post some pic's when I'm finished.

Cheers all in advance of your comment/help.

Dan
The ruder horn is backwards the notch should face the front other wise is going to turn more to one side then the other.
Joe
Joeknight is offline Find More Posts by Joeknight
Old Feb 09, 2009, 06:08 PM
Lost it again!!!!!
United States, CA, Menifee
Joined Aug 2007
1,105 Posts
Mera'din
dirtman is offline Find More Posts by dirtman
Old Feb 09, 2009, 07:35 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecase
Here is a good video on soldering Deans plugs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&h...&v=xZU9rtACdZY

He makes that look easy, after soldering quite a few deans connectors now, it still can take take me 30+ minutes to do one!!!! at least I get to use some of the english language that I don't get to use very often , I should post a video of me soldering deans......you would all
antennahead is online now Find More Posts by antennahead
Old Feb 09, 2009, 07:39 PM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
Yes?
Mera'din is offline Find More Posts by Mera'din
Old Feb 09, 2009, 07:39 PM
Climb,turn,roll,loop,soar
Springfield,Ma. USA
Joined Jun 2006
3,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead
He makes that look easy, after soldering quite a few deans connectors now, it still can take take me 30+ minutes to do one!!!! at least I get to use some of the english language that I don't get to use very often , I should post a video of me soldering deans......you would all
C`mon ... do it.. I could use a good
Joe
Joeknight is offline Find More Posts by Joeknight
Old Feb 09, 2009, 07:47 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,570 Posts
Originally Posted by galaxiex
Yeah, My DX6i is the same, it has failsafe only on the throttle.

If you get a total lockout, well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamflier84
1 year with Dx6i and soaring and no lock outs.
Well I never SAID that I got a lockout with my DX6i.

It was meant as "what if" and you quoted me out of context. See below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiex
Yeah, My DX6i is the same, it has failsafe only on the throttle.

Setup for zero throttle failsafe so that the plane won't keep on flying under power.

As for the rest... the DX6i will hold the last position on control surfaces during failsafe.

Sooo... If you are flying "hands off" during a failsafe you get...

Zero throttle and a nice glide down IF the plane is trimmed properly.

If failsafe occurs during a control input... you get flight surfaces locked in that position (whatever that may be) and zero throttle.

Sooo... Hard turning maneuver and BAM! FAILSAFE... Guess what happens....

I think the idea is... is that the failsafe should not occur for too long, and you will (hopefully) be able to regain control.

That would be a "best case" failsafe.

If you get a total lockout, well....
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Feb 09, 2009, 08:03 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Good evening gentlemen and any ladies obviously that might be lost and in here! ha ha ha Just kidding..everyone welcome!

PLEASE SEE PHOTOS BELOW for me to explain. At the rear, I have stuck the Rudder horn the wrong way round and therefore the cable from the servo doesn't reach by about 5mm!!! Argh...Not to worry, I can buy some new longer cable and cut to size. The fact this is slightly wrong won't affect anything will it?

Will post some pic's when I'm finished.

Cheers all in advance of your comment/help.

Dan

Looking good!! having the rudder control horn on backwards will cause the rudder to move more in one direction than the other. when you are gluing horns on, keep in the back of your head that the control wire conection hole of the horn should line up as close as posible, if not directly over the hinge line. if you keep this in mind even subconciously, you will never glue one on backwards again. I would try to remove the horn and turn it around, which brings me to another point.........when you painted your ez, Did you mask off the area where the control horn glues on? If you did, removal of the horn could prove difficult, if you did not mask and just painted the rudder and elevator,then glued the horn on over the paint,then the good news is that the horn will just pop off with the paint stuck to the horn and no damage to the foam......the bad news is that if you leave the horns glued over a layer of paint, the horn could easily break off of the control surface, if your lucky it will be on a hard landing.......if your not lucky, it will be in flight ........just food for thought
Old Feb 09, 2009, 08:03 PM
NM83
Joined Jul 2006
232 Posts
Quote:

Dan
Sorry, Dan, but you'll want to de-bond that control horn on the rudder and re-glue it on the way it's supposed to be. Rudder travel left and right will be equal only if if the control wire connects to the horn directly over the hinge line. What I see in your photo tells me you're going to have a lot of travel back there for right turns, and practically none for left turns.
NoNugget is offline Find More Posts by NoNugget
Old Feb 09, 2009, 08:04 PM
Austin, TX, 78746
Joined Nov 2008
292 Posts
Quote:
Just wanted to say congrats. I too am a newbie and coming to the end of my 1st build. Had a go at the soldering and learnt by my mistakes:

- Don't let the battery wires touch!!!Ouch!
- When soldering Deans onto cables, don't let the metal teeth get too hot because it melts the inside of the Dean clip and you have to start all over again!!!
- Don't go anywhere near the solder iron when its on..It hurts!! Ouch again!!

Any of my neighbours looking into my shed must of thought what was going on in there? Sparks, screams! Something like a scene out of back to the future!!

Cheers and wish me luck at the weekend when I think (Weather permitting) Im going to go for my maiden flight
I have made all three of those mistakes in the last 3 months. Picking up a hot soldering iron will really make an impression on you!!! good luck
donaldrtaylor is offline Find More Posts by donaldrtaylor
Old Feb 09, 2009, 08:04 PM
Robot, RC Pilot & Builder :-)
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf
Tek,

Don't laugh, but Wal-Mart has carbon fiber arrows in the sporting goods section for about $3. I have one that is labeled "Wolverine 6070." It's the same diameter as the spar (just checked). You can take a small pipe cutter and cut the point off perfectly, and then cut it to length. And you're back in business!

Bob
Bob, Thanks! Your tip will save me a few dollars, over ordering the official, expensive, replacement part.

Thanks!
Kevin
kevinhines is offline Find More Posts by kevinhines
Old Feb 09, 2009, 08:05 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeknight
C`mon ... do it.. I could use a good
Joe

Your out of luck.........I don't have any deans that need to be soldered.......at least not right away anyway
Old Feb 09, 2009, 08:11 PM
More Pixels!
Collegedale TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldrtaylor
I... Picking up a hot soldering iron will really make an impression on you!!! good luck
I used to do a lot of soldering in my job. I could hear the sizzle of perspiration boiling before I'd feel the pain of heat, and dodged a lot of burns that way (I guess I'm clumsy).
jbeckett is offline Find More Posts by jbeckett
Old Feb 09, 2009, 08:32 PM
Lost it again!!!!!
Joined Aug 2007
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din
Yes?
I think you found your answer, change you thrust angle

(Sorry got the post screwed up...I got my Mini EZ* in the mail as I was trying to fix it the post....found some Multiplex FOX's in AZ. Got to exited and started off to the garage )
Old Feb 09, 2009, 08:51 PM
Lost it again!!!!!
Joined Aug 2007
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead
I got one of these at harbor freight awhile back, wow I should have got one ot these years ago for $3

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=319
Closed Thread